Facebook

Notices

Mormonism 101 Discuss Mormon doctrine, history, and practice

Old 06-14-2014, 05:56 AM
Banned

Re: Do They Really Believe This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon5 View Post
At least one of his babies died because he wouldn't take his wife to the doctor when in labor. THAT'S demonic.
you say this, and i understand why--but did not God take this baby's life? In the natural order of things? After all, women do not really need a $20k hospital visit to have a child--or shouldn't, i don't think. I don't believe 'demonic,' wadr.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
you say this, and i understand why--but did not God take this baby's life? In the natural order of things? After all, women do not really need a $20k hospital visit to have a child--or shouldn't, i don't think. I don't believe 'demonic,' wadr.
If it were HER choice then that's one thing, and maybe it was. But if I'm correct, the HUSBAND pushed for it. I don't know if God took the baby, or just allowed the natural consequence of his decision play out. I'm inclined to believe the latter.

Yes, hospital visits ARE expensive, and most births are routine. Based on what I understand, this one clearly wasn't, and rather then call a hospital, he just outright risked his wife's life, along with making negligible choices that killed his baby.

Thats the only reason I called it demonic, but the technicality of terminology is an issue.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
In closing I need to say that if it is preferred I leave, then I'll go. I knew the site owners were apostolic but when I looked through the posts, it appeared as if a whole plethora of beliefs were represented. Also, I noticed some misconceptions, I felt needed cleared
Up. (Or did I already say that?)

That being said, I must say I'm a bit stunned at the venom coming from a poster.
Whoa, whoa whoa! There was no venom towards you my friend. You totally misread what I wrote and the spirit in which I wrote it.

I wrote about the LDS faith. I have lived here for decades, this is not a fringe group of them I am talking about and I apologize that you took it personally. I do not want you to leave and it is unfair that you feel this way without a chance for me to set the record straight. Again I apologize if you took it personal.

I am glad that you have found something that you feel helps you in your personal walk, but also understand my position. Having dealt with this religion for decades I also feel strongly about my position as well. That is all.

This is a thread asking for some clarification of what the LDS church believes, you gave your experience and I gave mine. Both are experiences and both have value.

The fact remains though that the LDS church has had, and continues to believe, some very strange and anti-Biblical beliefs. Yes, there are some Apostolics that have strange beliefs also but this thread is not about them.

Again forgive me for appearing to make it a personal jab towards you, that was not what it was intended to appear like.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

One could also argue that God allowed men to invent hospitals and medicines, as a form of mercy to mankind, and so that women no longer had to suffer slow torture to bring kids into the world. Or die trying.

Possible death by slow torture? By all means let's keep that bit of history alive.
Just kidding )
Old 06-14-2014, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJJ View Post
Whoa, whoa whoa! There was no venom towards you my friend. You totally misread what I wrote and the spirit in which I wrote it.

I wrote about the LDS faith. I have lived here for decades, this is not a fringe group of them I am talking about and I apologize that you took it personally. I do not want you to leave and it is unfair that you feel this way without a chance for me to set the record straight. Again I apologize if you took it personal.

I am glad that you have found something that you feel helps you in your personal walk, but also understand my position. Having dealt with this religion for decades I also feel strongly about my position as well. That is all.

This is a thread asking for some clarification of what the LDS church believes, you gave your experience and I gave mine. Both are experiences and both have value.

The fact remains though that the LDS church has had, and continues to believe, some very strange and anti-Biblical beliefs. Yes, there are some Apostolics that have strange beliefs also but this thread is not about them.

Again forgive me for appearing to make it a personal jab towards you, that was not what it was intended to appear like.
It wasn't you I was talking about on the hateful comments. It was someone else on here. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Maybe there are different types of mormons out there. I DO know the ones here are nothing like that. They are the nicest, and most giving I ever encountered. They DO what Jesus said to do.
There are some doctrinal things I don't agree with, but I never agreed 100% of the time anywhere with anything.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
It wasn't you I was talking about on the hateful comments. It was someone else on here. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Maybe there are different types of mormons out there. I DO know the ones here are nothing like that. They are the nicest, and most giving I ever encountered. They DO what Jesus said to do.
There are some doctrinal things I don't agree with, but I never agreed 100% of the time anywhere with anything.
Okay, thanks for the clarification on that. Please stay around and give some input, it is appreciated... in spite of what some of us say! LOL

I was reading your posts and let me say this about the LDS church OUTSIDE of Utah. They are two different breeds and even Mormons outside the state will tell you that. Course that is probably true of any denomination.

God bless!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJJ View Post
Okay, thanks for the clarification on that. Please stay around and give some input, it is appreciated... in spite of what some of us say! LOL

I was reading your posts and let me say this about the LDS church OUTSIDE of Utah. They are two different breeds and even Mormons outside the state will tell you that. Course that is probably true of any denomination.

God bless!
That's what it sounds like based on your description. My husband has been talking about going to Utah and looking around at the temple. After what you just described, I'll keep an eye out for the things you mentioned. We only have a limited temple card right now, but from what I've seen in the one here, there are no freaky, mason style statues of any kind. I'll also pay attention to the people there, though I really hate looking for faults and shortcomings in others.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

By the way, I like your Margaret Thatcher quote. I used to joke that Reagan should have dumped nancy and hooked up with her. Two unforgettable leaders. Unlike some politicians who we WISH we could forget.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
If it were HER choice then that's one thing, and maybe it was. But if I'm correct, the HUSBAND pushed for it. I don't know if God took the baby, or just allowed the natural consequence of his decision play out. I'm inclined to believe the latter.

Yes, hospital visits ARE expensive, and most births are routine. Based on what I understand, this one clearly wasn't, and rather then call a hospital, he just outright risked his wife's life, along with making negligible choices that killed his baby.

Thats the only reason I called it demonic, but the technicality of terminology is an issue.
this all seems to deny, to me, that the life was in God's hands. I'm not against hospitals--in other countries, where they are not abused--just what they have become here.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
this all seems to deny, to me, that the life was in God's hands. I'm not against hospitals--in other countries, where they are not abused--just what they have become here.
Yeah, I understand. I think in the end God works things out. Though I don't pretend to know the details of it all. I do support free will. I just don't believe in this day and age a woman should be forced to endure torturous agony if the means are available to prevent it.

Under no circumstances is it considered acceptable for men to lie at home writhing in pain.

Our medical ins.system is indeed broken.

But I also believe medicine is in Gods hands. I have a sneaking suspicion that id one of the reasons AIDS isn't cured after all these years.

Last edited by anon5; 06-14-2014 at 12:50 PM.