Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-25-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Prince View Post
I have come to see something very glaring in my few years. There are people that really know their Bibles, but don't know God. They can quote, and cite Greek and Hebrew, etc., but they really have no personally vibrant relationship with the Almighty.

What reeks is that usually their Bible knowledge is for one purpose: to debate what they and others believe. They have studied for antagonistic purposes--not so they can get a greater understanding of the mind of God.

In this way, I would say, "The Word of God is not God," even though John 1:1 says that in the beginning that the Word was God, and later we see that the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God.
This is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read (bolded above).

Are you impugning the power of the word of God or are you saying that people have the ability to prove what they believe outside the tennants of scripture?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformedDave View Post
The danger I see is that we tend to set up a false dicotomy of Word or Spirit and that's wrong. Carp stated that a pastor told him that it was more important to have a spiritual conscience than a conscience toward the word and that is sheer folly. One can't have one without the other. Without the word we are left with no objective standard for truth to thereby justify our experience. Without the Spirit we have dead orthodoxy.
Amen.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:56 PM
delete account

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamgar1 View Post
Aren't you one of the top ten posters?

How many posts do you average daily?
I usually fall into the number ten category or below...I average 25 posts a day...and I would do better to post less...I was preaching to myself as much to anyone.

Blessings, Rhoni

P.S. Like everyone else, self discipline is more difficult than obeying the rules forced upon me! LOL
Old 03-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

Bro. Epley, If you're reading, please know that you're loved and respected by this poster!
Old 03-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrford View Post
And that is in no wise limited to the youth. They kind of "inherited" those things from their elders who let down their guard.
Hmm.. I've always thought the elders were people of prayer. I guess it would vary from church to church.
The pastor of the church I used to attend would always stress the importance of prayer and establishing a relationship with the Lord.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Isn't he cute?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
This is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read (bolded above).

Are you impugning the power of the word of God or are you saying that people have the ability to prove what they believe outside the tennants of scripture?
Neither. I am saying that some folks study, and look for anything they can to discredit whatever position they want to--not desiring to really know the Truth. That doesn't mean they are able to, but they can create a lot of fluff for debate.

I am suprised that you considered the statement ignorant. Others thought differently, and I actually thought you would see my point and agree with me, Carp. Do you not agree that some people read the Bible just to find points to argue?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Prince View Post
Neither. I am saying that some folks study, and look for anything they can to discredit whatever position they want to--not desiring to really know the Truth. That doesn't mean they are able to, but they can create a lot of fluff for debate.

I am suprised that you considered the statement ignorant. Others thought differently, and I actually thought you would see my point and agree with me, Carp. Do you not agree that some people read the Bible just to find points to argue?
It would be impossible for me to judge whether someone "studied" the bible in order to just find points to argue. Someone doing a true study in my mind would hopefully be convicted that he was misusing the Holy Word of God.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

Maybe it is time to move on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
It seems this forum is slding very quickly into an antigonistic forum to Pentecostal doctrine in general with the remarks of Jesus being a magic name and the defence of the statement I feel uncomfortable with this. I ahve never threatened and this is not a threat. I am going to cease from posting for a season I might lurk. But I am beginning to doubt if I should be here. The what I see as 'hatred' toward Pentecost is general is becoming more and more open and vicious. Maybe this will become an ex-Pentecostal site where disgruntles can cast stones at the womb that gave them birth. Healthy and heated discussions are one thing but this continual and more and more aggressive posts which are laden with anti-Pentecostalism is general is becoming more than I can bear. It is becoming harder to leave these asaults at the computer I do not want to carry them with me. I pray for each of you that seem to have been hurt beyond repair that somewhere the God of Heaven will heal your hurts and wounds that you might again be restored to the Apostolic fatih. This could very well be my last post on this forum. So farewell in case I don't return.
Maybe it is time to move on. As the saying says, "all good things come to an end".

I love and appreciate you Elder.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Christmas 2009

Bro. Epley, I think I was just starting to understand and LIKE you!!! Please don't leave us now. I have high respect for you and what you stand for, even if I don't agree. I applaud you for at least being consistent.

I hope you don't think we are all anti-Pentecostal. I sure don't feel that way. I love my heritage and honor those who brought me to Christ.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Isn't he cute?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
It would be impossible for me to judge whether someone "studied" the bible in order to just find points to argue. Someone doing a true study in my mind would hopefully be convicted that he was misusing the Holy Word of God.
The key word here is "true." A true Bible study WOULD hopefully lead them to a conviction. I guess I have met a few twisted individuals in my time. I figured you had met a few as well.