Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-25-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
I think a pastor should be able to enforce any standards that he feels like are from God in his own local church. Surely all the churches don't have to be "cookie cutter churches" on every issue.
Amen. Church sovereignty should be the order of the day.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Why would you want to keep someting from happening that might be the best thing that ever happened to the UPC?

If the ultra cons leave they will be happier and unified in what they believe is the right thing and perhaps the mods and libs left in the UPC will not be hindered from moving into the 21st century.
CC1- I agree with you about this. I will still love and honor Ultra Cons and recognize that they may minster to, reach and keep different folks than the Moderates/Liberals.

But by the same token; Moderates/Liberals may be able to reach others that were put off by standards God didn't specificallly legislate.

Consider the Jewish/Gentile divide in Paul's day.

Furthermore, its looking like a broader gap to cross. I can't imagine my son marrying an Ultra Con and I am sure Ultra Cons couldn't even imagine allowing their daughter to date my son (And he is fine young man who loves God and walks right so far as I know).

So, maybe it is time to free each side to pursue God with the freedom of expression that each side wants. At least for my part; I will still love them as family.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
CC1- I agree with you about this. I will still love and honor Ultra Cons and recognize that they may minster to, reach and keep different folks than the Moderates/Liberals.

But by the same token; Moderates/Liberals may be able to reach others that were put off by standards God didn't specificallly legislate.

Consider the Jewish/Gentile divide in Paul's day.

Furthermore, its looking like a broader gap to cross. I can't imagine my son marrying an Ultra Con and I am sure Ultra Cons couldn't even imagine allowing their daughter to date my son (And he is fine young man who loves God and walks right so far as I know).

So, maybe it is time to free each side to pursue God with the freedom of expression that each side wants. At least for my part; I will still love them as family.
I'm loooovin it!!
Old 03-25-2007, 08:57 PM
the ultracon

CCI / Newman right on the money.

I can't see the UPC being effective as an org in the present state of upheavel.

Let the parties that are so oppsed go there separate ways
Old 03-25-2007, 10:13 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Do you think TV advertising has to "be defined"???
Such as my former home Church adverstising their coffee shop and book store?
Old 03-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
I never said that Matt ...

but to deny that resolutions cannot be re-examined is to ignore a structure in place that allows them to, thankfully ...

whether it be yearly or every 50 years ...

You can't champion 'the rule of law' and then bemoan when it's used to bring up an issue you don't agree with.

This applies to any side.
I totally agree that the process allows for Resolutions to continually be submitted. I agree that one can work to effect change if they so desire.

But, one cannot blatantly disregard the policy they are seeking to change and expect to be credited with integrity. For instance, you used Plessey Vs. Ferguson as an illustration. While it may be a good illustration and reference let us remember there are penalties enacted upon those who violate the tenet of the law whether they agree with it or not. One is expected to follow the law, work for change, and then, and only then, can one legally change their actions.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
CCI / Newman right on the money.

I can't see the UPC being effective as an org in the present state of upheavel.

Let the parties that are so oppsed go there separate ways
What bothers me the most is the intolerance on both sides. Seems they could co-exist without condemnation.

IMHO
Old 03-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
What bothers me the most is the intolerance on both sides. Seems they could co-exist without condemnation.

IMHO
Shut up!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE=freeatlast;52409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
We could never placate those that are truly upset to the point of leaving. There will always be an issue that bothers them. That is their nature. I am not trying to be a jerk here, it is just simple truth.

Their concern is that they will lose people to a more liberal church that advertises on tv. My question is how is that possible?

Their church members supposedly do not have television anyway.[/QUOTE]

Does anybody have any idea how UPC homes are totally free from TV today.

You may be able to find out if you asked their kids. It might be hard to catch them at home as they are probablly over a the nieghbors watching t.... er I mean witnessing tro them.
Seems to me you answered your own question. If you believe the kids are at the neighbors watching TV then they evidently don't have their own at home.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:25 PM

For the record, that was Freeatlast's post, not mine.