Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

extended fasting.

Just wanted to open a thread on this topic to hear from people who have an experience with an extended fast. What was your experience physically and spiritually and how do you feel it benefitted you? Any input welcome
Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Re: extended fasting.

I have never done any extended fasting, nothing more than a 2-3 days.

I have fasted desserts and snacks for periods of time.
I have fasted chocolate for periods of time.
I have fasted AFF and Facebook for periods of time.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 AM
Covenant Apostolic

When in was younger, in my 20s and 30s, I occasionally fasted for a week. Usually it would be 1-3 days.

The consistent fasting (weekly & occasional extended) resulted in more brokenness before the Lord and more sensitivity to the Lord.

I would also say that my prayer life became more one of intercessions for others, and at this time I experienced an anointing to teach bible studies and reach people who came to know the Lord, be baptized and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

3 coworkers and their families came to church and received the Holy Ghost. These brought friends who also came and received.

God spoke to me one day as I was driving past a grocery store and told me to find stop the car, there was someone in the store I needed to talk to. That was Clyde, he received the HG and has since passed on to be with the Lord.

God woke me up from a nap one Saturday and told me there was someone who needed answers and I was to drive to the local bookstore and talk to them.

I’m not sure how many souls God touched from that period of my life (20 plus, many who are still severing Jesus), but I have no doubt that my sensitivity to being led of the Spirit was heightened by prayer and fasting.

I also know that fasting can be dangerous. We knew a preacher who was on a 40 day, water only fast, who passed away on that fast. I would say consistent fasting is more important then going on long fasts.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:27 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Let me add, consistency is really the key

Consistency in prayer, Word, fasting 1-day/week, praying daily, even if it just 15 minutes.

It's the single minded consistency that wins vs the occasional dramatic gesture.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
Let me add, consistency is really the key

Consistency in prayer, Word, fasting 1-day/week, praying daily, even if it just 15 minutes.

It's the single minded consistency that wins vs the occasional dramatic gesture.

I personally believe it is important that, if you do undertake an extended fast, you're certain it is the Lord who has called you to do it, because you will need the strength and direction of the Lord during this time.

"6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rearward.
9 Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
10 And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:
11 And the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.
12 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in." (Isa 58:6-12)

When God chooses the fast, and we do it for the right reasons- to break the yokes of bondage in our lives and the lives of others- then God can use us to be a "breach repairer", a "path restorer", and a builder of waste places and foundations for many!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

I prefer the Jessy Jackson Fast/Hunger strike. It involves not eating between meals.

(Yes, he really did that.... and of course the press didn't think of lampooning it.)
Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

I've done extended and consistent (1-2 days week at one time) and if you do either LISTEN TO YOUR BODY (moreso than your stomach). Both are beneficial. PM any questions and I'll share experiences from myself and others.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Don't ask.

I've gone without food, drinking only water, for an extended time. You feel hungry for a few days, then that goes away. Many days later, the hunger returns, and it's time to end the fast. Gently! I ate one orange, slowly.

Not sure if it benefited me, physically or spiritually, but in theory it would do both. Physically, it's supposed to cleanse you of toxins, or some such. Spiritually, well, you guys know all about that. Maybe it did something for me, short term, but, well, look where I am now! Caveat emptor!
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?