Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-05-2015, 06:05 AM
Banned

Community or Commodity?

What does it mean to be the church, the people of God walking in the way of Jesus, when it often seems uncertain how long any of us will remain in a church fellowship?

What does community mean when people keep leaving?
Old 06-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Community or Commodity?

It means in the beginning people are taught a personal relationship with God but without any emphasis on being "added to the church". Therefore Christianity is reduced to God in relationship with individuals irrespective of one another. And thus, no fault divorce becomes the norm, spiritually speaking...

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 06-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

I agree fellowship is important. But it should be with the WHOLE body, not just the hand. The church should be together. Someone leaving should cause you congregation to fellowship more with others. Did Paul just stay in one place?
Philippians 2:12 - ...Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

Ephesians 4:5 - One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism

1 Corinthians 1:10 - Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Ephesians 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith ...
Old 06-05-2015, 04:56 PM
On the road less traveled

Good answer Esaias. I think many people come to a church building and believe that the building itself is the church. How many times growing up I heard about holy ground, and the platform... and kids admonished not to touch the platform or run across it, or play in church, etc. There has been much emphasis on the building, the meeting place, and much money given to build it up.

However, we don't see those actions at all in the early church. There is nothing mentioned in NT writing about a building fund, or building up the building of the church. Instead... the NT writings speak of each of us being the temple of God, a concept foreign to most churchgoers.

Many people are realizing that the church building itself is not the church, you and I are the church... "where 2 or 3 are gathered together in my name, I will be in the midst of them"... now THAT is church!