Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Tarrying For the Holy Ghost

I want to know how most apostolic churches go about telling people what the process to being filled with the holy ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues is? Do folks still teach that you have to go to the tarrying room and call Jesus until you start to speak or do they lay hands? What does the scripture say about these things?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Re: Tarrying For the Holy Ghost

The scripture says:
Acts 2:1-4
And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

There is no mention of tarrying or waiting further.

Acts 2:38-39
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For this promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 08-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
I want to know how most apostolic churches go about telling people what the process to being filled with the holy ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues is? Do folks still teach that you have to go to the tarrying room and call Jesus until you start to speak or do they lay hands? What does the scripture say about these things?
Not too sure about the calling Jesus in a tarrying room thing, but I do know there is scriptural precedent for receiving the Holy Ghost via the laying on of hands.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

There is absolutely no scripture to "tarry" for the Holy Ghost. The "tarry" applies to waiting on the day of Pentecost; when Jesus said to tarry the day of pentecost was about 50 days away. After that the Holy Ghost was received by laying on hands by the Apostles.
But there is something to be said for the "praying thru" process. A lot of Charismatics practice an easy receivism and I think many people have an experience that is soulish and mental. They do not have a genuine "baptism" where their heart is changed and they become a "new creature." We used to teach to search the heart for unconfessed sins and do a form of penence, where you make things right with those you have wronged, and apologize to those you have hurt.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

There actually isn't a scripture requiring speaking in tongues either... it is just an assumption based on the experiences described in the bible.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Murphy View Post
There actually isn't a scripture requiring speaking in tongues either... it is just an assumption based on the experiences described in the bible.
Tongues is what clued Peter in that Cornelius and friends had received the Holy Spirit. Speaking in tongues as the evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit is more than a coincidence and more than an assumption.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 08-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Christmas 2009

We were taught to "tarry" for the Holy Ghost when I was a kid. I prayed for it for seven years! I didn't understand that you could just receive it like a gift. I wore out a lot of saints around the altars!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Murphy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Tongues is what clued Peter in that Cornelius and friends had received the Holy Spirit. Speaking in tongues as the evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit is more than a coincidence and more than an assumption.
Exactly, and of the experiences in the Bible (Ac 2, 8, 9, 10, 19) tongues is either directly referenced or implied. Pauls conversion does not mention that he spoke with tongues but in 1 Cor 14 he writes that he "speaks in tongues more than ye all." And Corinth was one massive tongue talking church.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U376977 View Post
Exactly, and of the experiences in the Bible (Ac 2, 8, 9, 10, 19) tongues is either directly referenced or implied. Pauls conversion does not mention that he spoke with tongues but in 1 Cor 14 he writes that he "speaks in tongues more than ye all." And Corinth was one massive tongue talking church.
Isn't anything that is not specifically given as a requirement an assumption?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:21 PM
the ultracon

We tell them exactly like Peter told them. We tell them when they repent and are baptized that they SHALL recieve the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Peter never said you MIGHT or you might almost get it. He was emphatic, he said ye shall.

He also never said you'd all speak in tongues when you recieve Christs spirit.