Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
baptism, church, cogic, pentecostal, trinitarian

Old 09-22-2008, 05:19 PM
the ultracon

Re: COGIC - Baptism in Jesus Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
The Church of God In Christ is Trinitarian in it's denominational doctrinal creed. If a COGIC baptizes in Jesus Name then why are they in the COGIC that is the question?

Trinitarianism is a Roman doctrine all who believe it are the daughters of the Mother of Harlot church.
NT titheing is a Roman doctrine too...are all who believe it the daughters of the Mother of the Harlot church also?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Honorary Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1399 View Post
I'm about to join this COGIC near where I own a home in Baltimore.

I'm not living there right now, but that's another story.

Anyway, I've attended several services there and have enjoyed them. I spoke with the Pastor and he told me that he baptized folks, "in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost in Jesus Name" so as to be agreement with all scriptures concerning baptism.

I don't see this as compromising the truth of God's Word.

What do you all think?
Technically speaking, it's about as biblical as you can get baptizing that way. However, I always baptize in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Seems like confusion to me.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 09-23-2008, 03:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFrance View Post
OK... Why not choose a 1-stepper Oneness church instead?
There are quite a few out there.
If I told you there were NONE IN MD, DC OR VA, would you believe me?

I believe there are two small 1-stepper congregations about 70 miles from where I live.

I spoke with one of the Pastors over the phone. He's former UPCI and he seemed a li'l bitter at the UPCI to me, even though he said he wasn't. I didn't get a good feeling from talking with him so I did not pursue attending his church.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Saved And Sanctified Since 1992

My view is this (since there was a thread on this some time ago in regards to a friend of mine doing the same thing). There are plenty of COGIC churches that baptise in Jesus Name (Or Father, Son, Holy Ghost we do all things in Jesus Name) such as Willie James Campbell out of Chicago IL (St. James COGIC) Nathan Simmons old church (Citadel Of Hope Evagelistic COGIC) and even I have been told GE Pattersons church baptised in Jesus Name HOWEVER the truth is YE MUST BE BORN OF THE WATER AND THE SPIRIT. COGIC teach that you can be saved PRIOR to getting the Holy Ghost (beats me, because I have no clue what saves you then....what....just mere confession) which is what the majority of trinitarian churches teach. They teach the Holy Ghost almost as an option.....yet they "admonish" all believers to ask for the Holy Ghost they do not "require" in their teachings that one must be filled with the Holy Ghost and Bapstised in Jesus Name (which we all know consist of the New Birth Experience). My question to you is what is the pastors motives for staying COGIC if in fact he baptises in Jesus Name? Why not pull out and just be independant. My point exactly, people link up with the COGIC because its an Prestigious African American Pentecostal Body (the largest to be exact) and feel by going PAW or COOLJC or any other black apostolic organization will limit there preaching abilities and limit who they get to fellowship with (concerning congregations). This is why Nathan Simmons left the Oneness faith and went COGIC. This is also the reason why Michael Wilson (another Oneness preacher left and went COGIC). They want prestige. So there is a deeper issue here. Its not just a baptisimal thing. As an organization, the COGIC clearly denies the Oneness Apostolic Message. There is no getting around it. What are you going to do when you go to jursidictional meetings. Just not go.....What are you going to do when its convention time....just not go.....you will be fellowshipping with people who DO NOT believe or subscribe in the teachings of the apostles. Granted, its your choice....but understand this.....joining a COGIC church, your liable to get any and every doctrine being preached from the pulpits. It is what it is, and I am just talking from experience. I'd find me an apostolic church and if you like the dancing and shouting this COGIC is doing, just go over there when you want to dance and shout......or for that matter, sit down with the pastor and talk to him about HIS beliefs versus YOUR beliefs. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:41 AM
Saved And Sanctified Since 1992

By the way, DC and MD is the mother land for alllllllllllllll kinds of Apostolic Churches. I'd have a field day up there if I lived in the area. I could send you to some COOLJC churches if you'd like.

Refuge Temple COOLJC Bishop Bonner / Michael Fields Pastor in DC
First Apostolic Bishop Showell in Baltimore
Greater Morning Star Apostolic Ministries in DC/MD
Fisherman of Men COOLJC Bishop Groover pastor
Scripture Cathedral Apostles CL Long DC
and the list goes on and on and on ohhhhhhh
Christian Life Center East Germontown MD
So I mean, you dont have to settle for a COGIC church when there are apostolic churches alll around the DC MD area.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
NT titheing is a Roman doctrine too...are all who believe it the daughters of the Mother of the Harlot church also?
Jesus & Paul were Roman Catholics?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraiseHymn View Post
By the way, DC and MD is the mother land for alllllllllllllll kinds of Apostolic Churches. I'd have a field day up there if I lived in the area. I could send you to some COOLJC churches if you'd like.

So I mean, you dont have to settle for a COGIC church when there are apostolic churches alll around the DC MD area.
Thak you. The most liberal Apostolic church would be better than a COGIC.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1399 View Post
hey dt. how are you?
doing ok, gettin ready to deer hunt in a few weeks, that makes the cold more tolerable, how you doing brother, dt
Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Matthew 7:6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraiseHymn View Post

I dont think that would work . Since COOLJC preaches standard "3-stepper" Apostolic doctrine. Bro. 1399 considers that to be "performance based salvation".

Oh well.

I'm T France, and I approved this message.