Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Question Seeking Advice-Management On The Job

I am posting this mainly to seek advice from those who are or who have had a background in Management but I am open to hear anyones advice.

I was lured away from a previous printing company by a recruiter hired by my present employer to fill my present position.
Before my first interview was over, they offered me a position that was more progressive, better benefits, & higher salary.
The only negative about the job was the hours.

The next day the recruiter from Toronto called and said that they really wanted me & I said that I was turning down the offer because of the hours.
She said that she would get back to me.

She called the next day & said that they would up the offer on the pay, offer me three weeks Vacation, and changed my hours.
I accepted.

Mt position was as Lead Hand for the Warehouse.
As such I had people responsible underneath me (one of which has been difficulty from day one) nevertheless whenever I tried to implement something new, or tried to discipline one of the workers beneath me, my hands were tied.

Now I am being told by my immediate boss that, "I" am responsible for the department yet I do not have the "Authority" to handle things.
This is the first time I have been in a situation like this.
The pay is reasonable, but I can not handle conditions like this.

Two weeks ago, a situation was brought to my attention from when I was on holidays over Christmas where something wasn't done in my department by one of the workers & the owner threatened both myself and my immediate boss with dismissal if it happened again.
I was told by the owner that I was responsible for that department in front of my boss (I am not sure if he understands how my boss is running the show or what he is telling the owner).

I am home this week because my foot where they operated on my ankle is infected & my doctor advised resting it.

To tell you the truth it has slowed down since I broke my ankle & I feel that any contributions I make doesn't matter anymore.

Any advice?

Prayers are appreciated.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:05 PM
DOING THE FIRST WORKS

A typical management problem....responsible without authority. There is nothing you can do about it unless mgt gives comensurate authority to compliment the responsiblity.

A frank and honest talk with your superiors would be in order.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

the only thing you can do bro is go to them together explain the situation and put it on them what do you want me to do speech, i cant run this dept and be accountable without the clout to make it happen, sorry no easy answers, dt
Old 01-16-2008, 01:34 PM
A Prince of the Gospel!

Ask your boss for his "help." At the same time, seek and offer solutions to the difficulty. Acknowledge that you'd like his "advice" on this and that you're sure he's got a reasonable solution to it. If you don't make progress, you should let him know you will be speaking with the owner to get his recommendations, etc. This should be a non-threatening conversation on your part.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Blessed!

I hope that you have been documenting the actions of your boss where your direct management has been undermined and dimished due to direction from your boss. Citing specific instances where you recognized the problem, had a plan to implement to remedy the situation only to be told by your boss that you could not do it, will help you. As in any chain of command, I would have an honest talk with your immediate supervisor. If nothing is productive from that meeting, then you go higher.

I can not stress, when you are in a leadership position, the importance of documenting your contacts with people...especially when you are being undermined. A good paper trail will help you in the long run!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliUPC View Post
I hope that you have been documenting the actions of your boss where your direct management has been undermined and dimished due to direction from your boss. Citing specific instances where you recognized the problem, had a plan to implement to remedy the situation only to be told by your boss that you could not do it, will help you. As in any chain of command, I would have an honest talk with your immediate supervisor. If nothing is productive from that meeting, then you go higher.

I can not stress, when you are in a leadership position, the importance of documenting your contacts with people...especially when you are being undermined. A good paper trail will help you in the long run!
This was my first thought concerning this situation.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

I have already sat down with my immediate boss & he said that I am responsible for the dept but do not have the authority.

I am sprucing up my resume but am going to get my leg better first.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Blessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I have already sat down with my immediate boss & he said that I am responsible for the dept but do not have the authority.

And herein lies the problem. If you are responsible for a department and people are answering to you...when they know you have no authority your word makes no impact because they know you can't do anything.

From here on out, I hope that when you make a decision or a directive and it is not followed that you bring it to your immediate boss...who has the authority to make something happen.

Sorry you are in this mess. You are in a position that is between a rock and a hard place.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:41 AM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
I am posting this mainly to seek advice from those who are or who have had a background in Management but I am open to hear anyones advice.

I was lured away from a previous printing company by a recruiter hired by my present employer to fill my present position.
Before my first interview was over, they offered me a position that was more progressive, better benefits, & higher salary.
The only negative about the job was the hours.

The next day the recruiter from Toronto called and said that they really wanted me & I said that I was turning down the offer because of the hours.
She said that she would get back to me.

She called the next day & said that they would up the offer on the pay, offer me three weeks Vacation, and changed my hours.
I accepted.

Mt position was as Lead Hand for the Warehouse.
As such I had people responsible underneath me (one of which has been difficulty from day one) nevertheless whenever I tried to implement something new, or tried to discipline one of the workers beneath me, my hands were tied.

Now I am being told by my immediate boss that, "I" am responsible for the department yet I do not have the "Authority" to handle things.
This is the first time I have been in a situation like this.
The pay is reasonable, but I can not handle conditions like this.

Two weeks ago, a situation was brought to my attention from when I was on holidays over Christmas where something wasn't done in my department by one of the workers & the owner threatened both myself and my immediate boss with dismissal if it happened again.
I was told by the owner that I was responsible for that department in front of my boss (I am not sure if he understands how my boss is running the show or what he is telling the owner).

I am home this week because my foot where they operated on my ankle is infected & my doctor advised resting it.

To tell you the truth it has slowed down since I broke my ankle & I feel that any contributions I make doesn't matter anymore.

Any advice?

Prayers are appreciated.
I have been in this situation in manufacturing.

Your boss is not looking out for you.

He is trying to put a fall guy between him, his responsibilites and the door.

I would revisit your accountabilites and responsibilites with him ASAP.

I would walk out ot that meeting with action items and measurable accountabilites.

You need to document any situations and write them down in a computer file only at home.

With dates, names and how you addressed these situations.

What the actions of your manager were and the outcomes.

Documentation is very valuable...

Neck
Old 01-18-2008, 09:43 AM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:

Document each and every conversation you have with him regarding your performance and responsibilites...