Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-17-2014, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Do You Listen To False Prophets?

In the thread about appropriate Christian music Bro. Eastman said to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherEastman View Post
mike if you wouldn't listen to a false prophet why should you listen to a false disciple?
This was in context about musicians but I thought it would be good for a broader discussion.

Do we listen to people who are false prophets or false teachers? For my two cents worth I would say first it is exceedingly difficult to find a ministry that is fully pure. Almost all are off in some area.

I am aware of only five ministers that teach what I consider the true Apostolic New Testament foundation. Of these I probably disagree somewhat with three of them on a few dress code issues.

So here goes. I think whenever I am listening to someone who teaches foundational error I am listening to a false teacher (to some degree).

The prophet, pastor, or disciple we hold in high regard may be a heretic according to scripture.

I do look around on Youtube to try to find people to listen to on my nights off. Let me explain my mode of operation.

I search by topic. I may put in a search for something on the Oneness message. Someone will come up teaching Oneness. They may teach it at least accurate in a general way. But if I click on some of their other video's I may notice they teach baptism is a "symbol" and not part of salvation.

Or I may listen to someone teaching about the post trib rapture. They may teach it accurately. Then I notice they teach Trinity.

I may pull up a minister who teaches a good message of the resurrection and the guy teaches falsely concerning holiness.

See what I mean? I may agree with someone on a certain topic and disagree with everything else he believes.

Where do you draw the line? Do you follow someones ministry who you think has only truth? Do you listen to people who you know are off in some area?

How do you apply this to musicians? Do you only listen to musicians you feel have no error in their music?
Old 10-17-2014, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

Re: Do You Listen To False Prophets?

Most everyone believes something false. Every preacher who says there is a future trib is a false prophet in a sense. Streets of gold, tithes, literal new Jerusalem are are false teachings, in a sense false prophecies.

If God isn't graceful about all we believe we all are doomed.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Most everyone believes something false...

...If God isn't graceful about all we believe we all are doomed.
Amen.

There is no way to totally protect yourself from hearing, seeing, reading material that isn't somehow flawed by man. I've heard it compared to eating fish, you just gotta pick out the bones. Glean what is good and true, dispose of what you don't agree with. Pray about things, try the spirits.

If some disagree, I would say you're fooling yourselves.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:12 AM
Registered Member

I do not understand a pastor to be a prophet.

Anyway, I have never met another speaker who I completely agree with. I probably never will.

That's OK.

Some speakers are very good in certain areas or topics. In the areas of expertise, I hold their opinion to be of greater value than areas where they are not as informed.

Even speakers I debate theology with and disagree with are sometimes correct in their analysis of Scripture. Or to say it another way, our critics are not wrong on every point.

If part of what I believe is true, does that make me a true speaker ? If part of what I believe is wrong, does that make me a false prophet ? I don't think so.

Misinterpreting a passage does not make us a false prophet. If it is, we are all false prophets, for no one has a perfect understanding of Scripture.

Theology and humility go hand in hand. I overlook it when a speaker views a topic differently than I do. I hope my listeners do the same for me.

I could be wrong, but false prophets, as described in the NT, have numerous character flaws. Instead of teachers who have an imperfect understanding, false prophets are called wolves.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:16 AM
Registered Member

Yes, I listen to the teachings of false prophets, that is, every now and then, although primarily out of curiosity, but never with the expectation of hearing truth. And, I have even purchased some of their writings, just to learn about the differing doctrines which they teach.

Why, you may wonder. Well, I recall (many years ago now) when I entered the military service (US Army) at a tender young and impressionable age, the very first thing they required of me was to attend an extensive combat training program, all designed to learn the differing tactics which the enemy would be expected to employ against me should it be that I ever became engaged in combat.

It is in this same manner that I consider listening to and reading the differing tactics which Satan and his ministers use in the spiritual warfare which I, as a soldier of Jesus Christ's army, can expect to encounter on the many occasions wherein I am compelled to engage Satan and his soldiers - false prophets.

Only by being fully cognizant of the enemy's ever-changing tactics, am I to be an overcomer and remain faithful to my calling unto death and receive my promised rewards.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obriencp View Post
Amen.

There is no way to totally protect yourself from hearing, seeing, reading material that isn't somehow flawed by man. I've heard it compared to eating fish, you just gotta pick out the bones. Glean what is good and true, dispose of what you don't agree with. Pray about things, try the spirits.

If some disagree, I would say you're fooling yourselves.
I have said stuff in the past that was false out of ignorance.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Most everyone believes something false. Every preacher who says there is a future trib is a false prophet in a sense. Streets of gold, tithes, literal new Jerusalem are are false teachings, in a sense false prophecies.

If God isn't graceful about all we believe we all are doomed.
It sounds like we are just suppose to accept the fact that everyone teaches something false? Call me crazy but that is hard for me to swallow.

There are scriptures like Luke 1:3 and Hebrews 6:1 that make that hard for me to swallow.

I have heard people also tell me that go to church 3 times a week "they eat the meat and spit out the bone". You shouldn't have to go to church and do that. IMO, that would make what God did a waste of time.
Philippians 2:12 - ...Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

Ephesians 4:5 - One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism

1 Corinthians 1:10 - Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Ephesians 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith ...
Old 10-17-2014, 06:57 AM
Banned

Guys, think about this for a minute. ...When you "believe" in something with all you got, could it be false?

Is it set in stone?

Can you ever be swayed to change that belief?

Well, most of the folks I meet these days refuse to change a belief in or about something no matter what you show them.

Does it matter what you believe in in the eyes of the Lord?

I refuse to be like the 99% of folks that say.."I dont believe that", rather I now say..."I know that".

Let me ask you this...Do you "believe" in stuff, or do you "know" stuff?

When I was a Catholic, I "believed" stuff ignorantly, but as a Bible studying saint, now I "know" stuff.

The problem is not the false prophets, it is the false "beliefs".
Old 10-17-2014, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
I do not understand a pastor to be a prophet.

Anyway, I have never met another speaker who I completely agree with. I probably never will.

That's OK.

Some speakers are very good in certain areas or topics. In the areas of expertise, I hold their opinion to be of greater value than areas where they are not as informed.

Even speakers I debate theology with and disagree with are sometimes correct in their analysis of Scripture. Or to say it another way, our critics are not wrong on every point.

If part of what I believe is true, does that make me a true speaker ? If part of what I believe is wrong, does that make me a false prophet ? I don't think so.

Misinterpreting a passage does not make us a false prophet. If it is, we are all false prophets, for no one has a perfect understanding of Scripture.

Theology and humility go hand in hand. I overlook it when a speaker views a topic differently than I do. I hope my listeners do the same for me.

I could be wrong, but false prophets, as described in the NT, have numerous character flaws. Instead of teachers who have an imperfect understanding, false prophets are called wolves.
Amen.

Quote:
I have said stuff in the past that was false out of ignorance.
We all have. None of us are perfect, especially me.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:04 AM
Banned

To clarify, we must "know" the subject before we choose to "believe" the subject.

(As a new convert, I "believed" every word my pastor told me. Now I "know" what was told me. Some of it was ridiculous....)