Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Freedom@apostolicidentity .com

When Pacifism Was a Tenet of Holiness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m8Egtgui9I

A friend of mine compiled this video "documenting the strong pacifist roots of the Holiness-Pentecostal faith-- roots largely forgotten in the 21st century."

The truth is this was the message of most of the evangelical world for a long time. War hawks usurped position and now the religious right preaches the sanctity of life for the unborn while seeking to nuke, inject and hang those who they demonize.

Very strange.

There is a testament to this pacifism in the conscientious scruples article of the UPCI, adapted from the PCI manual. Today ministers send their little boy warriors to killing fields as a badge of honor while vilifying a woman for wearing as much as a dab of makeup or britches.

Twisted and warped.

Dr. King, whose legacy we honor this Monday,once was the moral evangelical compass of a movement, a generation ago, that abhorred war. Now it seems leaders of the religious right call for arms if it means refusing Islamic houses of worship being built or if a democrat proposes a tax hike.

Heck yeah, we have lost our compass.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:21 PM

Re: When Pacifism Was a Tenet of Holiness.

To DKB's credit he has written in one of his holiness books to this effect ... I will quote it later.

Last edited by DAII; 01-15-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

DKB is definitely a Pacifist.

Not a popular position in the Western world, or the US of A these days.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

I am familiar with the historical pacifist stance of the UPC. I was amazed once when seeing military lauded on the front cover of Reflections magazine. It's almost like a pants wearing career woman being lauded on a UPC mag in 15 years.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 01-15-2011, 01:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlZ8nUijmQg

MLK doing his best Jeremiah Wright impression.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Idealistically speaking, I agree with pacifism. In reality, it's a hard pill to swallow for anyone who cares about their family, property, community and country. I agree that it's the Christian ideal.

Then again, I don't if I would have it in me to stand by and not recant while my children were ripped to shreds in front of me like the early martyrs. I would like to think I could, but I don't *know* that I could. I would like to think that if someone broke into my house, I could trust God to protect us and get the intruder to leave by dropping to my knees and praying for his soul; in reality, I would probably grab the baseball bat by the door and hit him with it, assuming he didn't get me first.

What is ideal and what I can really do are two different things. The protection of life, liberty and property are important to us; should they be?

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 01-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

At best, (or worst?) I am a recovering pacifist...

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 01-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned

Pacifism does not advocate not defending yourself. It speaks against violence. Shame on the father who would stand by like a coward if his daughter was being molested. There's ways to defend the oppressed and weaker without becoming killing machines.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socialite View Post
DKB is definitely a Pacifist.

Not a popular position in the Western world, or the US of A these days.
He has expressed views regarding capital punishment as well that would not sit well with the freaky con theocrats.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socialite View Post
Pacifism does not advocate not defending yourself. It speaks against violence. Shame on the father who would stand by like a coward if his daughter was being molested. There's ways to defend the oppressed and weaker without becoming killing machines.
Thank you ... or continuing to massacre others in the name of collateral damage when there are no weapons of mass destruction, except ours ... just designs of nation building.

Life, liberty and right to property only when it's our backyard .... not just not in Baghdad, Tehran, Hiroshima and Nagasaki's.

Last edited by DAII; 01-15-2011 at 02:21 PM.