Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station > Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte
Facebook

Notices

Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte For all those that speak Geek & Greek among us! Or for those technically challenged who don't!

Old 02-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

This Is Really Causing Me To Question The TV Issue

Look at this article. What I read is things are shifting, not in terms of Outreach,
but in terms of Communication.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/150...-tv-on-your-pc

I see it as a done deal, not because it people nessecarely want it, but because the medium is changing and merging.

Technology know exists wherby TV, and the Internet are merging.
The internet can be on your home computer, and also a TV Screen.
You can surf the Internet on your Cell Phone, Tv, or Computer.
You can also watch TV programs on your Tv, Computer, or Cell phone.

As a purist you will either have the Internet, or not, seeing as the technology is merging.

I can even watch my local News channel on the Internet in streaming video on my computer!

The technology is shifting the way we distribute info.

What think ye?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:57 PM

Five Ways to Watch TV on Your PC
Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:34AM EST
See Comments (185)
Sure, you might be sitting at a desk and not really thinking about 24, but why wouldn't you want to watch TV on your computer? Your LCD almost certainly has better resolution than your TV, and when you're right in front of it, with two decent speakers (or more), it can be a pretty good way to watch a show or two.

Here are five ways to get television on your computer.

1) TiVoToGo - If you have a Series2 TiVo, you need TiVoToGo, which lets you download anything you've recorded on your TiVo to your PC. The shows can't be shared with other computers, so if you're planning on watching TV on the road, make sure you install TiVoToGo on your laptop. It's free, people!

2) Official Web Downloads - Check it out: The TV network may keep copies of its shows online for free download. NBC, for example, has some full episodes of its prime time shows here, and CBS has full episodes of a full eight prime time series available to watch online (bottom left corner). Visit your favorite shows' official website (or their network) to see what's available.

3) Classic TV - Like bad TV from the '70s and '80s (and just about any other decade)? Check out In2TV (Internet Explorer only, and even then it's buggy), which has archives of dozens of old shows (some much, much worse than others).

4) Overseas TV - Wanna brush up on your Hungarian? Check out BeelineTV, which streams about 100 networks from countries ranging from China to Slovenia and beyond. You'll find plenty more a wwiTV, which also includes numerous U.S. local channels broadcasting online.

5) When in Doubt, Buy It - You can buy or rent TV show episodes a la carte all over the web. Most popular is probably the iTunes Store: Note that you don't actually need an iPod to buy movies here if you just want to watch them on your computer. An episode is typically $1.99. Amazon Unbox also has similarly prices (though few have much good to say about it).

I already hit five? I haven't even covered connecting your TV to your cable with a tuner card or a USB TV tuner. There's also the famous Slingbox, and you can always buy or rent TV shows on DVD, too. Post your other suggestions for getting TV on your computer in the comments section!
Old 02-16-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Look at this article. What I read is things are shifting, not in terms of Outreach,
but in terms of Communication.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/150...-tv-on-your-pc

I see it as a done deal, not because it people nessecarely want it, but because the medium is changing and merging.

Technology know exists wherby TV, and the Internet are merging.
The internet can be on your home computer, and also a TV Screen.
You can surf the Internet on your Cell Phone, Tv, or Computer.
You can also watch TV programs on your Tv, Computer, or Cell phone.

As a purist you will either have the Internet, or not, seeing as the technology is merging.

I can even watch my local News channel on the Internet in streaming video on my computer!

The technology is shifting the way we distribute info.

What think ye?
Welcome to the dark side. Do you feel sinful after that last post, Bro?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
Welcome to the dark side. Do you feel sinful after that last post, Bro?
Not really. I only had reservations about us getting associated with Televangelists.

The technology is shifting, and fast, I believe we will have to deal with it sonner or later.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Not really. I only had reservations about us getting associated with Televangelists.

The technology is shifting, and fast, I believe we will have to deal with it sonner or later.
Right on all counts.

Congrats friend. Thanks for the brutal honesty.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
Right on all counts.

Congrats friend. Thanks for the brutal honesty.
I just think things are changing wether we like it or not.
If we want to stay tottaly clean (as a movement) we will have to ban the use of the Internet, which I don't see happening.

I don't say I agree with it, I just see it as inevitable.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I just think things are changing wether we like it or not.
If we want to stay totally clean (as a movement) we will have to ban the use of the Internet, which I don't see happening.

I don't say I agree with it, I just see it as inevitable.
We will never ban the internet. Never, ever, ever.
The issue we have spoken about so often as a future event has arrived.
The debate may rage, but the war is over.

May God help us all.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:04 PM
the ultracon

After most shows a network commercial aks; would like to watch 24 again or Desparate Houswives or whatever. go to ABC.com and you can watch most any TV program anytime and be in total compliance with that AS ya signed.

If you have a PC in your home and internet, you can't say you don't have a TV anymore.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
After most shows a network commercial aks; would like to watch 24 again or Desparate Houswives or whatever. go to ABC.com and you can watch most any TV program anytime and be in total compliance with that AS ya signed.

If you have a PC in your home and internet, you can't say you don't have a TV anymore.
No, that is true. The technology is changing and we are forced to address this issue wether or not we want too!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 PM

One and the same .....

Skype Founders Launch Beta of Internet TV Service 'Joost'

Tuesday , January 16, 2007

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands — The co-founders of the Internet telephone service Skype unveiled the brand name and details of their latest project Tuesday: a new Internet-based television service called Joost.

Entrepreneurs Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis, who sold Skype for $2.6 billion to eBay Inc. (EBAY) in 2005, said the new project combines aspects of file-sharing software and regular broadcast television.

Joost — pronounced "juiced" — may eventually try to move onto television sets, but it will initially focus on making it easier and more fun to watch TV on a computer.

Joost, like Skype, requires users to download free software. In this case, the program will help them browse the Internet for channels and clips they're interested in, rather than make phone calls.

"We're currently in a test phase with a limited 'beta' release, so we have content matching our base," Chief Executive Fredrik de Wahl said in a telephone interview. "Comedy, sports, music, documentaries."

He said the company has deals with Warner Music, "Bridezillas" producer September Films and "Big Brother" creator Endemol NV, among others, but plans to make content deals globally as the service grows.

Joost is owned by Luxembourg-based TVP Holdings SA, but it has offices in New York, London and Leiden, Netherlands, and expects to incorporate under the Joost name.

The Joost browser will be open for other software developers to create their own features.

"They may be able to make interactive plug-ins we can't even think of," de Wahl said.

The service will be ad-supported, but advertising will be briefer and less frequent than on regular TV. Viewers will have a broader selection of programming and will be able to watch whenever they want.

Daiwa Securities telecom analyst James Enck said that Joost's biggest challenge will be competition it faces from a host of rival products and services, but with Zennstrom and Friis behind it, it has to be seen as a serious player.

"I would be tempted to back them as people who will do well," Enck said.

Zennstrom and Friis succeeded under similar circumstances with Skype, and earlier built and sold the file-sharing program Kazaa.

"History suggests, they introduced two of the most revolutionary — disruptive — products in the history of the Internet, and the most viral. Possibly this is a hat trick," Enck said.

Enck, who has tested Joost, said that at the moment, so-so video quality was a potential problem.

But overall, the product is noteworthy for "ease of use, a nice interface, and intuitive design" he said.

The same ingredients played a key role in Skype's success.

CEO de Wahl said that unlike the original Kazaa, Joost will be seeking to work with content owners to prevent piracy. He said he hoped telecommunications companies wouldn't see it as a potential threat the way that Skype is.

Many telecoms hope to sell services streaming video onto television sets using the technology known as IPTV, or Internet Protocol TV.

Joost faces stiff competition from many other corners. The Internet is already crowded with free online channels, file sharing programs like BitTorrent, and video download services such as Google Inc.'s (GOOG) YouTube.

And then there's plain old television, and devices that piggyback off of it like VCRs, digital video recorders such as TiVo (TIVO) or more recently, gadgets like Slingbox that send TV shows elsewhere.

Friis said that Joost was the logical successor to Kazaa and Skype.

"Peer-to-peer technology is perfect for delivering broadcast in a very scalable way on the Internet," Friis said in a videotaped interview on the company's Web site.

Translation: Joost's users will contribute some of their bandwidth to sharing video streams at the same time they download them for viewing, making it possible for the company to broadcast to a large audience from just a few computer servers distributed around the world.

The company is accepting applications for a limited number of people who want to try out the service, and said it intends to "rapidly expand."

It did not set a date for an official product launch.

Friis said the pair began building the company under the code name "The Venice Project" immediately after selling Skype and it now has around 150 employees