Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Banned

Have you changed?

We are called to "change," and one constant that we all have in common is being affected by change. But have you, or essentially your beliefs--as distinct from your faith--changed lately? Have they changed at all, from your public confession? You might just go and ask those close to you, but this is a difficult conversation. I suggest that you should, and do, get indications from your peers when/if you have changed, although these may be subtle; and that a lack of these should be examined.

Do you even need to change?
Why do you need to change?
How do you need to change?
How have you changed in the last year?
Has this change been remarked upon, even if the remark was non-verbal?

I guess i should insert an appropriate verse here, but a search of "change" in the NT

http://biblehub.net/search.php?q=change+NT

is really too rich to just pick one imo, even though i'm going to anyway

For you know that even when he afterward desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for a change of mind though he sought it.

They never change, who don't fear God.
(OT)
Old 10-12-2016, 01:14 PM
Banned

Re: Have you changed?

i meant "...since your public confession."
Old 10-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
We are called to "change," and one constant that we all have in common is being affected by change. But have you, or essentially your beliefs--as distinct from your faith--changed lately? Have they changed at all, from your public confession? You might just go and ask those close to you, but this is a difficult conversation. I suggest that you should, and do, get indications from your peers when/if you have changed, although these may be subtle; and that a lack of these should be examined.

Do you even need to change?
Why do you need to change?
How do you need to change?
How have you changed in the last year?
Has this change been remarked upon, even if the remark was non-verbal?

I guess i should insert an appropriate verse here, but a search of "change" in the NT

http://biblehub.net/search.php?q=change+NT

is really too rich to just pick one imo, even though i'm going to anyway

For you know that even when he afterward desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for a change of mind though he sought it.

They never change, who don't fear God.
(OT)
I've changed, quite a bit.

Thankfully though, God's Word hasn't. We are called to GROW, and INCREASE in the knowledge of God and in his grace. We are not called to be blown about with every wind of doctrine (teaching), however, that's a recipe for disaster.

We are to hold fast the profession of our faith.

Have you done that?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-12-2016, 04:56 PM
Banned

i don't want to derail this thread this early, but i'll say that my profession of faith was initially given out of peer pressure, prolly, and fear, although i did not realize that at the time, and that i have come to a much fuller understanding now.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:23 PM
On the road less traveled

From the moment of my salvation, I continue to change... this flesh of mine doesn't give in willingly, but it is continually being trained to submit to the mind of Christ, and be obedient to the Word of God.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

I've changed, and in fact started a thread similar to this a few years ago right on this forum. There, I asked if correspondence with anyone on this forum caused a change of beliefs. It did with me. In fact, I think if there is no change in beliefs, one is not seeking God for correction, because if we need no change, we're perfect. And no one here is perfect. Obviously we all need to change somewhere.

It is an error to think lack of change means your convictions are strong as they should be. It is more godly to be changing and seeing God work more in both our beliefs and especially our characters.

I believe the Lord's prayer's words about "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil," directly deals with this very thing. False doctrine and the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil which depicts a counterfeit truth. Jesus spoke of the evil and good fruit in the same sermon in which he related the prayer.

Christianity is a learning process and journey of being changed. The best example is the Exodus. Israel came out of Egypt, but a huge element in the nation needed to get Egypt out of them. The older generation failed, except for Joshua and Caleb. This speaks to me of the older element in our lives that predates our new birth. The fleshly part. The Ishmael element in us all. The old us. The flesh versus the spirit, the part of us we must keep down.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 10-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
I've changed, and in fact started a thread similar to this a few years ago right on this forum. There, I asked if correspondence with anyone on this forum caused a change of beliefs. It did with me.
Can you elaborate?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-15-2016, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post

Can you elaborate?
One instance was when I once believed the"All Israel" in Romans 11:26 was the remnant as though the remnant stood for all. It does stand for all, but the context distinguished the remnant from all Israel, so it can't represent the all in verse 26. A dispie man showed me that!

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 10-15-2016, 09:57 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
One instance was when I once believed the"All Israel" in Romans 11:26 was the remnant as though the remnant stood for all. It does stand for all, but the context distinguished the remnant from all Israel, so it can't represent the all in verse 26. A dispie man showed me that!
Was that Parson?

Old 10-15-2016, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Was that Parson?
Yes. He had that issue right, anyway.