Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station > Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte
Facebook

Notices

Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte For all those that speak Geek & Greek among us! Or for those technically challenged who don't!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I bought a new computer with Microsoft Office pre installed. I bought the computer in Aug '06.
The program was only good for a two month trial & then they wanted more money!!

Well, I have my own Disc of Microsoft Office '03 that I wanted to install with a different serial #.

It is not wanting to work.

Is there anything that can be done?
Is your own disk an upgrade? What do you mean "a different serial #"?

How is it not working? What are the details you can give when you try to install it that it is not working
Old 02-11-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post

How is it not working? What are the details you can give when you try to install it that it is not working
Office 2003 is locked to a serial number on each machine. It cannot be installed on a second machine without authenciation from Hyperbad. I have it on my office box and they upgraded the motherboard forcing a call to authenciate.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
Office 2003 is locked to a serial number on each machine. It cannot be installed on a second machine without authenciation from Hyperbad. I have it on my office box and they upgraded the motherboard forcing a call to authenciate.
Doesn't the same thing happen if you uninstall? It phones home and removes that one with the serial number so you can install it again? They do something like that with Win XP don't they?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Doesn't the same thing happen if you uninstall? It phones home and removes that one with the serial number so you can install it again? They do something like that with Win XP don't they?
No it is different. Like Vista. Installs I think 4 times and then you must purchase new license.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

I bought a computer last year with Microsoft Office on it, but it only had a two month trial.

I have Microsoft Office '03 with a different Serial # (stand alone) that I have and want to install.
Hence the problem.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I bought a computer last year with Microsoft Office on it, but it only had a two month trial.

I have Microsoft Office '03 with a different Serial # (stand alone) that I have and want to install.
Hence the problem.
Did you install the Office 2003 on a machine connected to the internet? It is one license per machine.

If you have it removed from other machine, call MS to auth the serial.

Or get Open Office.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:36 PM
*sigh*

Quote:

Hence the problem.
has the other copy of office been used on another PC?

When you "activate" Windows XP, office 2003 and etc, micrsoft stores the hardware configuration of your machine in a database. If you have a hard drive crash, or etc, and try and reinstall, when you reactivate the software, microfts database compares the hardware configuration to the database record of the prior activation. if it is different the activation will fail.

If you have ditched the PC that your license of office 2k3 was originally activated on, you should be able to rectify that and get a new activation from MS phone support.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
No it is different. Like Vista. Installs I think 4 times and then you must purchase new license.
That's crazy...what if you need to reinstall for some reason? Hard drive dies or the system just becomes too buggy or virus infected? You have to purchase a whole new license? Sheeeesh...as if Bill Gates isn't rich enough now
Old 02-21-2007, 09:06 PM
hammondb3klingon1

Office 2007 is for real people. The rest of us are just 1/2 the men we used to be. <-mainly due to leprosy->