Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 PM
On the road less traveled

Re: UPC Resolution to Remove TV from Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I do agree that we need less of these:

And more of these.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
You may agree with this having lived here, but in my opinion the most beautiful women on average in any specific religion have to be the Mormons. We have so many Mormon families in our neighborhood with larger (4-6 kids) families and most of the wives look like they were never pregnant once in their lives.
Without a doubt bro! I couldn't have said it better myself!

There a some in the OP church that are similar. You know what though. In one of the Mormon books, Doctrine and Covenants, it teaches & emplores them to take care of their bodies - they are the temple of God and all. It is due to these writings that many of the LDS men and women are in such good shape.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Interesting. Any guesses as to why this might be? I've noticed the same thing.
See my last post for your answer.

LOL
Old 03-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Maybe those Mormon women are afraid their husband is going to take Wive Number #2!!!

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I agree.

As to the issue of the initial limitations of preaching against tech instead of principles, many principles were addressed when these messages were preached. I know this because I heard them referenced numerous times. Television and movies are wastes of time and money. They are a distraction from doing the work of God. They are filled with immodesty, violence, sexual immorality, and all forms of ungodliness. Those are the principles that I often heard preached, and I still believe them.

What changed? Not the principles of the Bible!

The only thing that has changed are the hearts of the men who lead. The manual itself made clear that the violaton of Christian principles was the key motivator that caused them to stand against television.

Many preachers have ceased to address the television itself, and instead preach against all forms of Hollywood style entertainment. For this reason, it becomes obvious what the true motives behind any changes actually are.
Good grief. I can think of a lot of areas u can violate biblical principles other then some out of control behavior with a tv remote. talk about sacred cows.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
You may agree with this having lived here, but in my opinion the most beautiful women on average in any specific religion have to be the Mormons. We have so many Mormon families in our neighborhood with larger (4-6 kids) families and most of the wives look like they were never pregnant once in their lives.
The most beautiful women that I have ever seen were at the outdoor mall in Salt Lake City.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
I would miss the internet MUCH more than TV... I rarely find anything entertaining even when around TV for days on end.
Thank you for making my POINT! It is absolutely hypocritical to make TV an ISSUE and NOT THE INTERNET!

There are way more things on the internet that are much, much worse than television! (Things you will NEVER EVER find on TV.....are readily available on the internet!)

Sorry, but people that think like this ..... that think it is OK to have internet and not a TV... is basically having a double standard. If this drives them into another organization because they somehow think people are going to hell for owning or watching stuff on TV, then so be it! The UPCI already has enough judgemental people without adding to the problem.

I am in the UPCI, but I do NOT hide my TV when someone comes over. That is just plain stupid! Matter of fact I have two, one in the living room and one in my room.....right next to my computer monitor.

There are MANY, MANY UPCI Ministers that have had TV for years! It is way past time this resolution passed and people got off this issue!

I would respect some UPCI members and even the UPCI itself...IF they banned BOTH television and internet out of their lives.

But to say TV is bad but internet is OK is not only ignorant, but it insults the intelligence of it's members!

For those that say "TV was bad way back when...so it should be bad today".

I have a question for you, what do you think the "old- timers" would say if they saw some of the stuff that is available on the internet? I personally think they would have a heart attack. And I also think they would be way more prone to ban the internet than the TV!

To me, it is pure hypocracy! Anything that is on TV right now, you can watch on the internet. So what is the difference?

I actually think some people want to be different to be different, not because it has to do with biblical principals! If they feel like they have to leave the organization over this one issue just to make a point, then they can feel completly free to leave and go to some other organization that they will feel more comfortable in. One thing is for sure, I will not miss judgemental people like that!

Last edited by webe123; 03-15-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webe123 View Post
Thank you for making my POINT! It is absolutely hypocritical to make TV an ISSUE and NOT THE INTERNET!

There are way more things on the internet that are much, much worse than television! (Things you will NEVER EVER find on TV.....are readily available on the internet!)

Sorry, but people that think like this ..... that think it is OK to have internet and not a TV... is basically having a double standard. If this drives them into another organization because they somehow think people are going to hell for owning or watching stuff on TV, then so be it! The UPCI already has enough judgemental people without adding to the problem.

I am in the UPCI, but I do NOT hide my TV when someone comes over. That is just plain stupid! Matter of fact I have two, one in the living room and one in my room.....right next to my computer monitor.

There are MANY, MANY UPCI Ministers that have had TV for years! It is way past time this resolution passed and people got off this issue!

I would respect some UPCI members and even the UPCI itself...IF they banned BOTH television and internet out of their lives.

But to say TV is bad but internet is OK is not only ignorant, but it insults the intelligence of it's members!

For those that say "TV was bad way back when...so it should be bad today".

I have a question for you, what do you think the "old- timers" would say if they saw some of the stuff that is available on the internet? I personally think they would have a heart attack. And I also think they would be way more prone to ban the internet than the TV!

To me, it is pure hypocracy! Anything that is on TV right now, you can watch on the internet. So what is the difference?

I actually think some people want to be different to be different, not because it has to do with biblical principals! If they feel like they have to leave the organization over this one issue just to make a point, then they can feel completly free to leave and go to some other organization that they will feel more comfortable in. One thing is for sure, I will not miss judgemental people like that!
It would be hypocrisy if said people behaved in the way you describe. I have not seen that hypocrisy much. Either they are able to use both responsibly and think the wording should be changed to reflect modern day technology. Or they reject prettying all shows and entertainment and use the Internet for quite limited research and email etc. Are there some ministers who watch debauchery on The internet then kick out their members for owning TV? I'm am sure that has happened but I don't know any.

Changing the language would really not change anything at all in terms watching habits There would be no mandate for churches to liberalize what they teach at all.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves

Last edited by Hoovie; 03-15-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
I do agree that we need less of these:

And more of these.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Holiness Is Still Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I know it might sound cynical.

With the notion of "control" that can be viewed in both good ways and bad ways. First, it can be used to denote the reality that the measures of control protect from false doctrine and/or abuses. Control can also denote various forms of legalism. It can also serve to speak to politics and a specific coalition with a specific agenda maintaining control.

Control isn't always so bad. But it isn't always so good either.

As for the "money making"... let's face it. An organization with a vision like the UPCI needs to generate revenue. The budget crisis is more a symptom of not being able to balance income verses expenses. They have to drastically tighten their belts and let go of some things.

Of course, this is easy for me to say because... I'm a house churcher. I attend two different house churches in my area that are networked with over 20 others in a local network. Each house church is autonomous, we're only linked through common vision. Very little overhead for each house church. The larger campus that the network purchased costs, but each house church contributes to it as desired.
Congratulations. I go to a church with 1,500 members in a large building in Maryland. We have bills to pay and lights to keep on, we also feed many homeless in DC, reach the lost through dozens of outreach programs daily, preach on the streets of DC, clothe hundreds of needy. I'm not knocking house churches or whatever, however it seems like you're acting as if traditional churches that are run on the tithes and offerings of it's people are worthless and don't effect change in their communities at all. And not mentioning the MASSIVE impact that churches and church organizations have on communities EVERY DAY in charitable donations alone when talking about them as "money making machines" is pretty intellectually dishonest.