Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-21-2011, 05:56 AM

Ways to reach people we come in contact with

Because of my vocation, I come into contact with quite a few people each week. And I'm looking for some ideas of connecting people (without Christ) to Christ when I come into contact with them. I generally spend about 1.25-2.5 hours at their home, sometimes much more.

I don't want to just "invite then to church".

I just want to shine a light for Him, and somehow accomplish introducing them to our Saviour, if they don't already "know" him. And hopefully build on that...

I feel that I must in that small amount of time, earn their trust and favor at the least before they might consider anything I might have to say concerning our Lord.

Please give me your thoughts, I probably will reply very little for lack of time, but I will read them all.

I would even ask, that U say a prayer for me, that God would give me ideas of how to accomplish this.

Thanks!

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 11-21-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:05 AM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

Re: Ways to reach people we come in contact with

Ghandi was having a day of silence and was boarding a train during the time when he was leading non violent protests in India.

The Reporters ran after the train asking him to give them a message.

He wrote on a piece of paper and handed it to them, it said:
"My life is my message."

Years ago I was spending quite a bit of time in prayer and fasting for God to let me win a soul for him.

One day a guy who worked in my office came up and asked me "where do you go to church?" to which I replied "come and see."

That man was instrumental in bringing 20+ other people into the church to receive the HG and be baptized.

So first of all I would say, prayer and fasting, and then, your life is your message.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Because of my vocation, I come into contact with quite a few people each week. And I'm looking for some ideas of connecting people (without Christ) to Christ when I come into contact with them. I generally spend about 1.25-2.5 hours at their home, sometimes much more.

I don't want to just "invite then to church".

I just want to shine a light for Him, and somehow accomplish introducing them to our Saviour, if they don't already "know" him. And hopefully build on that...

I feel that I must in that small amount of time, earn their trust and favor at the least before they might consider anything I might have to say concerning our Lord.

Please give me your thoughts, I probably will reply very little for lack of time, but I will read them all.

I would even ask, that U say a prayer for me, that God would give me ideas of how to accomplish this.

Thanks!
Just be a "Christian man". Allow your disposition to serve as a witness. Those being drawn by the Father will inquire. They will "feel something" about you. There really is no winning "technique" to witnessing... one must be led of the Spirit.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Talking Re: Ways to reach people we come in contact with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
Ghandi was having a day of silence and was boarding a train during the time when he was leading non violent protests in India.

The Reporters ran after the train asking him to give them a message.

He wrote on a piece of paper and handed it to them, it said:
"My life is my message."

Years ago I was spending quite a bit of time in prayer and fasting for God to let me win a soul for him.

One day a guy who worked in my office came up and asked me "where do you go to church?" to which I replied "come and see."

That man was instrumental in bringing 20+ other people into the church to receive the HG and be baptized.

So first of all I would say, prayer and fasting, and then, your life is your message.
That's very powerful indeed.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

I have to agree with both Amanah and Aquila on this point. Pray, fast, read and study the Word of God, and put those principles into practice, and then the world will see you in a different light. I am known to a waiter at one of the restraunts that I frequent as "church boy". They have made certain assumptions about me because of the part of my life that they see. That is a better witness to them than a thousand words would ever be.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Banned

Be an extension of Jesus Himself. Don't worry about techniques. Follow the Spirit.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Be an extension of Jesus Himself. Don't worry about techniques. Follow the Spirit.

People around us will know just who we are, who we represent, and what we stand for simply by them observing and listening to us.

There's no sense in spiritual cramming or spamming. And, there's no sense in feeling like we have to conquer the world through worrying about how to be a witness. Following after the Spirit would allow God to put the words into our mouth on what to say to those we cross paths with...

(Jfrog, I'm not implying you are worrying about conquering the world. Just speaking in general terms to no one specifically.)
Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post

People around us will know just who we are, who we represent, and what we stand for simply by them observing and listening to us.

There's no sense in spiritual cramming or spamming. And, there's no sense in feeling like we have to conquer the world through worrying about how to be a witness. Following after the Spirit would allow God to put the words into our mouth on what to say to those we cross paths with...

(Jfrog, I'm not implying you are worrying about conquering the world. Just speaking in general terms to no one specifically.)
Jfrog?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 11-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
Jfrog?
Oops, Jfrog must have been on the mind. I meant "Shag." Thanks for catching that. I normally try to proof read my posts before posting. I missed that one...

Old 11-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
Oops, Jfrog must have been on the mind. I meant "Shag." Thanks for catching that. I normally try to proof read my posts before posting. I missed that one...

It's alright, I though I missed something.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV