Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-29-2018, 07:38 AM
Not riding the train

Re: Priesthood - Old to New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
Pastor Raymond Woodward - I will build my church
A study on the book of acts.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...294B6D6CAB683D
Thanks, Amanah! Put that in my watch list! Raymond Woodard is a great teacher!
Old 11-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I guess I just wonder how a pastor could function and not style himself as the writer of the article describes as " doing the praying, the teaching, the care of the “house”, and the other priestly functions."
A pastor is a teacher. Their function is to teach. We have to get away from "pastor = guy in front who leads everything and decides everything." A person may be a pastor/teacher but not necessarily an overseer or elder.

Apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor/teacher are functions. Bishop and deacon are offices. There is overlap, but also distinction.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 11-30-2018, 09:31 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Pastor Raymond Woodward - I will build my church
A study on the book of acts.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...294B6D6CAB683D
Wow, Amanah! This is a long series! Thanks again for posting!
Old 11-30-2018, 09:40 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
A pastor is a teacher. Their function is to teach. We have to get away from "pastor = guy in front who leads everything and decides everything." A person may be a pastor/teacher but not necessarily an overseer or elder.

Apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor/teacher are functions. Bishop and deacon are offices. There is overlap, but also distinction.
I agree with you!

Let's look at another aspect concerning the pastor, which many who have held leadership positions have experienced.

It is the saints that you feel you have to drag along and make things easier or you can't get cooperation.

I feel that also sets up the Pastor to be forced into being everything. I remember working on a project and my pastor, at the time, and I were talking about it. I said to him, "Well, you do have to make things easier so that people will become involved." His eyes got big and he said, "Yes, that is true." He seemed surprised that I realized that fact.

Another experience I had while talking to another pastor friend. He said that the people in the church force you to be what they want and need, putting you in a box you don't really want to be in. I thought that was true and interesting.

More musing...
Old 11-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Wow, Amanah! This is a long series! Thanks again for posting!
it is really good though, he stresses prayer, unity, and church members being evangelists this series, along with his series on prayer "If" have a lot of impact

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...JyOW4oQfEIpaza
Old 11-30-2018, 10:57 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
it is really good though, he stresses prayer, unity, and church members being evangelists this series, along with his series on prayer "If" have a lot of impact

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...JyOW4oQfEIpaza
They are good. I've listened to a couple. I usually have to listen more than once as my mind is always wandering. I have too many irons in the fire.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:55 AM
Administrator

The simplest answer is for the church to live as a family, with pastors seen more like older brothers who show their younger siblings the ropes, likewise the elder women with the younger sisters. My older kids love to show their younger siblings how to do stuff. My oldest, our only daughter, even sometimes creates a curriculum for her brothers and teaches them (because that's what my wife does and my daughter follows her lead) and she's only 8!

Make church gatherings be more like family get-togethers, and those who have been invited by the Lord to shepherd and are given the grace to do so, can and will do so naturally, without it having to seem like an "office" where one person wears all the hats.

I've done more shepherding from a living room couch or a table at Subway or Starbucks, or even just on the job than I ever have in a so-called traditional church service from behind a lectern in front of an audience.

Literal shepherds of sheep spend more time giving individualized care than they do collective care all at once. How about we try that out and follow in the footsteps of our namesakes?

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/

Last edited by votivesoul; 12-06-2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

Im not so sure the first century church saw the Apostles and Pastors as just older brothers in the family.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
This is an excellent topic, and one that is very needful of discussion and vetting. The article has it right and Esaias has made some good points as well.

The Levitical priesthood is dead.

The pulpit, supposedly sacred, is making division in the church, as is the platform. The pulpit is only mentioned once in the Bible, and is certainly not referred to as sacred. It reminds me of the brazen serpent in the OT. Before it was over with the Israelites were worshiping the brazen serpent. Instead of the physical serpent of brass serving as a reminder of the wondrous works of God, wrought on behalf of His people, the Israelites skipped the memorial part and went straight into idolatry. Think about the pulpit being sacred in this context, How is it sacred? What makes it sacred? The same for the platform.

I think the truth is that proclaiming the pulpit to be sacred fosters a hope that the message that comes forth from the pulpit will be regarded as sacred. The only thing that makes the message sacred, is if it is the pure, unadulterated (therefore true) word of God. It makes no difference if there is a pulpit, or if it is delivered on a street corner, or at someone's dinner table or living room. The pure Gospel delivered in a foxhole or a bar, is much more sacred than false doctrine delivered from a fancy pulpit, with seven columns (God's perfect number) in a gorgeous edifice, worthy of royalty and the upper crust of society.

The Apostolic Church is susceptible to the same temptations as the Roman Catholic Church. We are making the very same mistakes that they made hundreds of years ago. They aren't mistakes because the Roman Catholic Church made them. They are mistakes because they are based on false doctrine. False doctrine doesn't care where it is taught.

We are not supposed to base our "priest system" on the Old Covenant. We are supposed to be "founded" on the "foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone". As long as we adhere to the "Old Covenant", instead of the superior "New Covenant", we will very likely get results that are NOT optimal.

Pressing On, you are musing.

I am musing back.

Good subject!

Not sure that I agree with you on this. How do you see the pulpit as dividing?

God has always set some things apart and they were dedicated for sacred use.

I see the pulpit as being set apart and should be respected that when you stand behind it you should be careful that you are saying what God is telling you to say.

I am reminded how God split the pulpit in Houston after they started preaching a different message.

I personally believe the pulpit still matters in how it is treated.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:41 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
Im not so sure the first century church saw the Apostles and Pastors as just older brothers in the family.
Well, in the first century, older brothers (including cousins and uncles) held a far more highly respected position in a family than they do nowadays. The modern (intentional, planned) degradation of the family has warped our concepts regarding family structure and authority, unfortunately.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf