Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
curious observer

are we a cheap society?

another thought,
are we a society too cheap?

rumor has facebook will start to charge, and albeit just a rumor there is groups starting stating "I will NOT pay", even though it is a service they use all the time. Are we really a welfare society? we want it all free?

Here is a thought, if AFF started charging a modest fee, would you continue to be a member?

or
Old 04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Re: are we a cheap society?

Nope. I would not be a member of a forum that charges.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 04-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

I was on AF for about a year.
They charge $15 a year and it is automatically renewed and comes out of your checking via PayPal.
So, just when you aren't expecting it you get a notice from PayPal that your checking account has been debited.
I had to leave though.
It wasn't Apostolic enough for me.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 04-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post
another thought,

rumor has facebook will start to charge, and albeit just a rumor there is groups starting stating "I will NOT pay", even though it is a service they use all the time. Are we really a welfare society? we want it all free?

Here is a thought, if AFF started charging a modest fee, would you continue to be a member?

or
People already pay a lot for telephone, cellphone, cable or satellite TV, Broadband internet service, their movie rental...it all adds up. People are tired of being charged a lot of money for TV with 200 channels and only watching at most 10 or so. And despite paying for TV they still have to endure commercials. Facebook might be free, but they are making money on Advertiusements.

I propose what they do is develop a benefits package with added stuff for a small fee.

As far as AFF goes, it will never be pay as you go but I am sure it would be appreciated if someone donated some money

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
another thought,

or
It usually isn't a matter of being "cheap" so much as wanting to see value. If you use Facebook at work to occupy yourself and "keep up with friends" between assignments, then the dollar value attached to that isn't very high any way.

The rumors and pages about Facebook charging a fee have been around for as long as Facebook and MySpace. I remember there being a discussion before about AFF charging a fee.

As John D. Rockefeller once said, "The price of a thing is whatever it will fetch."

If no one wants to pay for Facebook, it isn't because the people are "cheap" - it's because the value of Facebook itself is cheap.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody
another thought,

I'm not cheap--I'm willing to pay well for quality products. I don't buy shoes often, but when I do, I buy high quality. My feet are worth it. Same with clothes. Whenever possible, I buy high quality on clearance...LOL!!!!

If I had to pay for fb, then I simply wouldn't participate on fb. It isn't that important to my life. Neither is AFF, for that matter, although I do like coming here.

I thought it was a dumb move when EveryonesApostolic started charging membership fees because there are so many other free sites where people can connect--and those sites are a lot better anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
If no one wants to pay for Facebook, it isn't because the people are "cheap" - it's because the value of Facebook itself is cheap.
Exactly.

It's not about wanting everything for free. It's about only being willing to pay for the things that are important to me. If someone offers a freebie, I'll enjoy the convenience. If they ask me to pay for it, I'll probably skip the convenience.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 04-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
another thought,

or
I think the issue is that things start out free, people get used to it, and then when the site/service starts to charge, even a nominal fee, people don't want to pay for something they used to get for free. This is why so many people liberally infringe on copyright in regards to online music. They have been able to get it for free for so long, it has cheapened the music in their eyes. That is what Redbox has done for me in terms of movie rentals. I would never pay $3+ for a movie rental now. $1 is the right price point for me, not matter how unfairly cheap the MPAA thinks that is (and they do).

In the words of the great Tom Petty:

"As we celebrate mediocrity all the boys upstairs want to see
How much you'll pay for what you used to get for free"
Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

I forgot to answer, I would probably not pay for AFF if they started charging. Nothing against the forum, it is one of the best on the internets, but I just don't pay to be a member of forums. Not that I think AFF would ever go to a pay forum.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

I once was a member of one Pentecostal forum that charged a fee. They stated the one time fee was a lifetime membership "Good until Jesus comes".

Not sure what happened... Perhaps the owners became preterist! LOL!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Go Dodgers!

BTW, in case anyone wants to know but does not. Why forums might want to charge...for one the software costs money. The biggest reasons though might be a server. With a forum that has a lot of traffic just a regular webserver won't do. And with the high number of posts, unless you want to prune them regularly, will consume a lot of disk space. Then you might need to pay a really smart guy...or patient guy, to handle stuff. I have to say on NFCF I handled a lot of that stuff and honestly I just hated doing it lol.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.