Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Apostolic definition of a "Christian"?

So after yesterdays conversations here.....

What is you definition of a Christian?

Everyone's is different so there can be no real wrong answer....

I ask after the "Why we're not saved" thread < Is our logic in not calling everyone "saved" a Christian? That one must bring themselves to a level of holiness to claim such?

Again being raised Baptist, we witnessed all to many "Christians" that were simply "Sunday Holy-Posers"...

Is it wrong for us to have such standards? Is this judging if it factually based?
Old 05-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Re: Apostolic definition of a "Christian"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieMisfits View Post
So after yesterdays conversations here.....

What is you definition of a Christian?

Everyone's is different so there can be no real wrong answer....

I ask after the "Why we're not saved" thread < Is our logic in not calling everyone "saved" a Christian? That one must bring themselves to a level of holiness to claim such?

Again being raised Baptist, we witnessed all to many "Christians" that were simply "Sunday Holy-Posers"...

Is it wrong for us to have such standards? Is this judging if it factually based?
All churches and denominations have holy-posers. Live like an Angel on Sunday and like the devil the rest of the week.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

Right, (and enjoy your day tomorrow)..

Ok, I'm not going to repeat the whole thread, but our issue is that we've witnessed SOOOooooo many become "saved" mostly by Baptist standards <don't laugh to hard there< but indeed the next day or a week or... what we personally witness in them shows Nothing that changed, nothing that supports their Claim of being Christian.

With that, we cannot bring it to ourselves that becoming a Christian can be that simple. We feel yes, everyone needs to be saved, but we also feel the Churches have made this WAY to simple! Maybe this is for numbers, maybe for members, maybe for money, maybe because they honestly think that's the way it is....

We simply cannot bring it to ourselves to give respect to someone claiming Christian who cannot support it.... This is why we equally feel we must change ourselves inward & outward before claiming such a commitment to God.

So then maybe we are being judgmental?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

To add to that, no one (even Ultra Con Menno's) have ever agreed with us on this until Apo's & AFF and there are at least a few here that do, even if not exactly.

Which is good so we no if we are wrong, least we are not the only ones
Old 05-25-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Right, (and enjoy your day tomorrow)..

Ok, I'm not going to repeat the whole thread, but our issue is that we've witnessed SOOOooooo many become "saved" mostly by Baptist standards <don't laugh to hard there< but indeed the next day or a week or... what we personally witness in them shows Nothing that changed, nothing that supports their Claim of being Christian.

With that, we cannot bring it to ourselves that becoming a Christian can be that simple. We feel yes, everyone needs to be saved, but we also feel the Churches have made this WAY to simple! Maybe this is for numbers, maybe for members, maybe for money, maybe because they honestly think that's the way it is....

We simply cannot bring it to ourselves to give respect to someone claiming Christian who cannot support it.... This is why we equally feel we must change ourselves inward & outward before claiming such a commitment to God.

So then maybe we are being judgmental?
Listen to this!

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
Listen to this!

BaM!

Not that I feel it solely at the feet of the preacher..... The majority of preachers I've seen are in-fact sincere in their works, even if I don't agree with them.

but then some of the worst tragedies are laid with good intentions...

Are you saying you agree with the above video's contents NG?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
BaM!

Not that I feel it solely at the feet of the preacher..... The majority of preachers I've seen are in-fact sincere in their works, even if I don't agree with them.

but then some of the worst tragedies are laid with good intentions...

Are you saying you agree with the above video's contents NG?
Yes very much. The price Christ paid on the Cross was not cheap and we should not cheapen it or add to it. The cross was not a step in right direction toward Salvation it is Salvation . It is the corner stone not a stepping stone. The longer you serve Christ the Altar of repentance becomes larger and the sin we commit convicts our heart.

Last edited by navygoat1998; 05-25-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

We both thank you for the video & will seek out more Paul Washer videos for further enlightenment
Old 05-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Becoming converted initially is not particularly "difficult" for most in the USA.

Becoming a Christian = Believing on The Lord Jesus Christ and being saved, followed by public confession of Jesus - initiation into the church by baptism and recieving His Spirit.

In some parts of the world becoming a Christian is dangerous and may very well get you killed.

In America there is much less resistance.
Many new Christians succumb to ease and luxury even before they are discipled. A sign of the times.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 05-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
Yes very much. The price Christ paid on the Cross was not cheap and we should not cheapen it or add to it. The cross was not a step in right direction toward Salvation it is Salvation . It is the corner stone not a stepping stone. The longer you serve Christ the Altar of repentance becomes larger and the sin we commit convicts our heart.
Amen!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves