Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:47 AM
crakjak

Just completed "Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell, though it may not sound like it, it is very spiritual and insightful.

Received "Disappointed with God" by Phillip Yancy for Christmas, looking forward to diving in to it.

Currently reading "When the Game is Over" 'It all goes back in the box' by John Ortberg, great read.

Also, reading I Corinthians and I John, awe inspiring read both.

I highly recommend Phillip Yancy's "In the Likeness of God" with Dr. Paul Brand and all Yancy's books, he is one of the greatest writers of all time. In depth research, fascinating word-smith not a hard read but a dictionary nearby is helpful.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 12-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Forever Loved Admin

I am starting Breathe ( Creating Space for God in a Hectic Life) by Keri Wyatt Kent.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 12-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Mama to four little angels.

This looks like an amazing reading list. I see 1 right off I want to read. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordChocolate View Post
Below are my last 5. I am about to start Digital Signal Processing: Signals, Systems, and Filters. I am an engineer working with digital signals and thought this would be a great addon.

Quantum Dynamics Of Simple Systems - A powerful symposium about negative curvatures surfaces and how they coincide with the quantum theories. A great book with plenty of math equations and models. A focus on Selberg trace formula seems to be the central theme.

Code Ciphers & ther Cryptic & Clandestine Communication - A nice easy read on the history of ciphers and how they are used today.

Advanced Algorithmic Approaches to Medical Image Segmentation: State-of-the-Art Applications in Cardiology, Neurology, Mammography and Pathology - Not an easy read. The examples are ridiculus and some do not even work. Medical Image Segmentation is a new science but this book is not the definitive work on this subject.

Artificial Neural Networks in Biomedicine - Outstanding book. All of the examples and details are very pertinent. Not a light read but a very good one.

Digital Signal Processing: Principles, Algorithms, and Applications, 4th Edition - This book is done fairly well. The notes and examples are well done but did have few errors. The book is not designed for entry level engineers.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Mama to four little angels.

Ok, to answer this. I'm reading the BIBLE. I have so little time while I'm in class, too much other reading them. I'm enjoying not having any other reading demands right now.

Oh and a Calculus textbook... That's my fun reading for now. lol
Old 12-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

re-reading "The Happiest People on Earth" which is a biography of the late Demos Shakarian (1913-1993). He was the founder of the FGBMFI (Full Gospel Business Mens Fellowship International).

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 12-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

To tell you the true I'm am reading the Jewish New Testament.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahkoe View Post
Ok, to answer this. I'm reading the BIBLE. I have so little time while I'm in class, too much other reading them. I'm enjoying not having any other reading demands right now.

Oh and a Calculus textbook... That's my fun reading for now. lol

The Bible?? Is that a good read?? Who wrote it??

sola Christus
sola gratia
sola fide
sola deo gloria

sola scriptura
tota scriputra
Old 12-30-2007, 10:35 AM
His word burns in my heart like a fire...Fire Fall Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakjak View Post
Anybody reading anything new and good??
I highly recommend "Breakthrough Prayer" by Jim Cymbala...I finished it early this morning.

It rejects the teaching of the "sovereignty of God" which many Christians weakly default to thinking "Oh well, God will do it if he wants to...." and rather focuses on fervent and earnest prayer that taps into the God's will to act on our behalf. It also rejects the "word of faith" camp and their "blad it and grab it" philosophy and correctly shows that some Christians will endure hardship and suffering and that not all circumstances are rosy and peachy. It shows how there are different levels of believer's faith...here's an excerpt where he goes over that:

The Apostle Paul knew that faith is paramount in the daily life of the Christian. After all, the Believer is saved by grace through faith. We are admonished to live by faith and not by sight. We are told that without faith it is impossible to please God. Jesus taught that we receive from God according to our faith and he marveled whenever he saw great faith. The scriptures not only declare that by faith we are justified, but that the righteous will live by faith. Christians are to daily engage in the good fight of faith but are to remember that through faith they are shielded by God's power. While some have faith that "is weak", there are Christians whose "faith grows" and even those who "excel in faith." Faith must be "continued in," and it varies in size. (Jesus spoke about faith that is "small as a mustard seed.") Most important, there are false teachings that "destroy the faith of some," and there are Christians who have "shipwrecked their faith." In this context, faith means the moral persuasion or conviction that leads the heart to rely on Christ. Because faith can grow or diminish, Paul was anxious to know the level of faith among his Believers in Thessalonica.

Paul realized as well that every believer faces difficulties. He didn't want the Thessalonians to be unsettled by their trials, so he reminded them that he had earlier told them they were "destined for them." Paul's Spirit-inspired teaching on this subject is very different from the modern teaching that says "word of faith" people need never experience continued negative circumstances.

Faith is absolutely essential, not only for spiritual health, but also for breakthrough prayer. James says it is not merely prayer, but "the prayer offered in faith" that will make the sick person well (James 5:15).

Old 12-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Renewed

Uuuuhhhhhhhh well kinda of at work , which puts me completing a 15 page spreadsheet for my companies presentation to Smartway/EPA for our yearly evaluation. Which means I am currently reading excerpts from www.epa.gov/smartway

not very inspiring, but depending on your career it might be intresting.
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 12-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
I highly recommend "Breakthrough Prayer" by Jim Cymbala...I finished it early this morning.

It rejects the teaching of the "sovereignty of God" which many Christians weakly default to thinking "Oh well, God will do it if he wants to...." and rather focuses on fervent and earnest prayer that taps into the God's will to act on our behalf. It also rejects the "word of faith" camp and their "blad it and grab it" philosophy and correctly shows that some Christians will endure hardship and suffering and that not all circumstances are rosy and peachy. It shows how there are different levels of believer's faith...here's an excerpt where he goes over that:

The Apostle Paul knew that faith is paramount in the daily life of the Christian. After all, the Believer is saved by grace through faith. We are admonished to live by faith and not by sight. We are told that without faith it is impossible to please God. Jesus taught that we receive from God according to our faith and he marveled whenever he saw great faith. The scriptures not only declare that by faith we are justified, but that the righteous will live by faith. Christians are to daily engage in the good fight of faith but are to remember that through faith they are shielded by God's power. While some have faith that "is weak", there are Christians whose "faith grows" and even those who "excel in faith." Faith must be "continued in," and it varies in size. (Jesus spoke about faith that is "small as a mustard seed.") Most important, there are false teachings that "destroy the faith of some," and there are Christians who have "shipwrecked their faith." In this context, faith means the moral persuasion or conviction that leads the heart to rely on Christ. Because faith can grow or diminish, Paul was anxious to know the level of faith among his Believers in Thessalonica.

Paul realized as well that every believer faces difficulties. He didn't want the Thessalonians to be unsettled by their trials, so he reminded them that he had earlier told them they were "destined for them." Paul's Spirit-inspired teaching on this subject is very different from the modern teaching that says "word of faith" people need never experience continued negative circumstances.

Faith is absolutely essential, not only for spiritual health, but also for breakthrough prayer. James says it is not merely prayer, but "the prayer offered in faith" that will make the sick person well (James 5:15).
Pastor Cymbala's church in Brooklyn is listed as part of the Global Network org. I've only read one of Pastor Cymbala's books and that was years ago. It told about his becoming pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle. That is really quite a church. Have you ever seen any of their tapes/DVD's and some of the testimonies of how God dramatically changed folks' lives through that ministriy?

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship