Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Re: Monopoly on Apostolic Identity is no more ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFrance View Post
Aquila gave his explanation, and I accept it at face value, but ....the hair issue aside...

Yes, "studying the word" in order to find an interpretation that would be more convenient to you IS a bad thing!!

If someone is looking for an interpretation that's more suitable to them convenient doctrine, they'll always be able to find it. That path, and that mindset, can be a slippery slope. Just take a look at the various "gay Apostolic churches" out there now, if you don't believe me.
And it works when conservative folks want to find all sorts of doctrine in the bible.

My point is that most people don't go searching out doctrine unless they are conflicted. If they love having long hair or having multiple wives or driving horse and buggy as do the Amish then I doubt they will start looking for reasons to depart.

Most people will only search when things are wrong and as long as the doctrine doesn't bother them then they could care less about change.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Aquila gave his explanation, and I accept it at face value, but ....the hair issue aside...

Yes, "studying the word" in order to find an interpretation that would be more convenient to you IS a bad thing!

If someone is looking for an interpretation that's more suitable to them convenient doctrine, they'll always be able to find it. That path, and that mindset, can be a slippery slope. Just take a look at the various "gay Apostolic churches" out there now, if you don't believe me.
That's true. One has to be very careful.

However, when it comes to hair the issue is... is it a "sin" to cut the hair? Even the most conservative interpretation could only claim that it is a "shame" but then you have to ask, to whom?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Forever Loved Admin

It's about pleasing self. All the arguments boil down to I will please myself. God ain't in it.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 02-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaamez View Post
This is a posting that I can respect and agree with, in principle. UPCI has every right to take a pause, come to a consensus determination on who they are now with respect to yesterday and tomorrow, then declare their identity. I don't agree with many of their stands, but I am willing to agree that they have every right to take them.
I respect this post!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Matthew 7:6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Some have been hurt by the UPCI's implication that they are not Apostolic because they are not in agreement with all of the UPCI's outward standards. Others just realize that you can't put new wine into old wineskins.
So do you believe that God has called some ex-UPC'ers to launch a crusade/campaign against the existing UPCI culture and mindset?

I'm T France, and I approved this message.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
It's about pleasing self. All the arguments boil down to I will please myself. God ain't in it.
That isn't true. I have no argument. But I couldn't lie to myself anymore. When I read the scripture and search my heart I don't get the same interpretation. I want to please God but boasting in my flesh is not the way to do it.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
I think that's an unfair accusation. That would be like me saying that the other side is all about spiritual pride. It's a complicated issue.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
That isn't true. I have no argument. But I couldn't lie to myself anymore. When I read the scripture and search my heart I don't get the same interpretation. I want to please God but boasting in my flesh is not the way to do it.
I mean the debate about hair, clothes, etc. It's confusing and God is not confused.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 02-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
So do you believe that God has called some ex-UPC'ers to launch a crusade/campaign against the existing UPCI culture and mindset?
If you broke from the Catholic Church for what you believe to be doctrinal truth... would you preach against them?

Many of these men "preaching against the UPCI" might be viewed historically as "reformers" in a few generations.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Accepts all friends requests

The UPC was changed in a way that was unethical and deceitful. This betrayed a lot of people. I don't think we need to rehash the outright lies that were told to get the voting ministers to go along with an extra-parliamentary romp.

So what's wrong with "ex-UPCers" who point out these and other errors?