Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Canadian Flavour
Facebook

Notices

Canadian Flavour FROM C2C ~The Canadian Corner~

Old 06-21-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
I should register this name as a subdomain.

I wonder what kind of traffic it would bring.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Things pass bro...times change. It was very respectful, in fact, all of the music groups involved took great care in choosing songs to NOT offend. There are plenty of conferences around where "Fly the flag" and " I shall Not Be Moved" are still sung, enjoy those by all means. God's anointing was on everyone and the worship by most was tremendous.

Do you remember when your group started singing "The Blood Will Never Lose It's Power" well that author once was criticized for being contemporary...nuff said. I'm done with this issue, out of respect to some elders, have at it.

Change. “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heaven.” (Eccl.3:1) It’s been said that the only constant in our world today is change. Are you a person who loves change? Or does the very idea of altering “the way it’s always been” send cold chills up and down your spine, especially if it wasn’t your idea?

Whatever your reaction, know this truth, change is going to happen. It’s inevitable and unavoidable, so there’s no sense fighting every change that arises. We can become resistant and harden ourselves against change, or we can ask God for grace to adapt to change. It's not easy to learn to think "we" instead of "me."

Adjusting to changes in life may be the most difficult thing we have to do. There is almost always a sense of denial and anger before there is acceptance, similar to the grieving process. Not every person has the same tolerance to change. Some adventurous souls actually relish the adventure of new situations. Others like their life exactly as it is: nice and predictable. For these people, the idea of change produces fear.

However, when we surrender the issues of change to God we discover that His love is able to cast out all fear. We simply trust that God is in control, and whatever changes are in store for us, He will always be there to give us grace to humbly accept change for the sake of “we” versus things remaining the same for “me”.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf View Post
I believe that the NFL serves a valuable role in the world of professional football.

If it wasn't for the NFL the poor players who can't make the cut in the CFL would have to go back to handling the cash registers at McDonalds.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
well after Warren Moon and that Flutie guy, you have me at a loss to name any great CFL players! Didn't Ricky Williams try the CFL because he was caught smoking pot?
I don't think we will be getting together any time soon on a Sunday to watch sports or listen to music!
Hey, Monkeyman, do they ever broadcast any BC Lions games out east? I will be there for the next two weeks and would love to see the BC Lions/Toronto Argonauts game next week.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonix View Post
I mean no disrespect to you whatsoever Felicity so please know this is really written in curiosity.

Why would you even care what the UPC did? Didnt you leave the organazation after being overseas missionaries?
Perhaps for the same reason Mapleleaf and other ex-UPCers on AFF post about matters within the UPC? Because we have chosen to no longer have credentials with the UPCI does not mean we no longer have fellowship with the UPC. When you have spent 23 years of your life in an organization and developed friendships with so many people through the years it's only natural that you will have interest in what is happening there.

I don't suppose we should be attending Summer Summit or General Conference this year either?!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Things pass bro...times change. It was very respectful, in fact, all of the music groups involved took great care in choosing songs to NOT offend. There are plenty of conferences around where "Fly the flag" and " I shall Not Be Moved" are still sung, enjoy those by all means. God's anointing was on everyone and the worship by most was tremendous.

Do you remember when your group started singing "The Blood Will Never Lose It's Power" well that author once was criticized for being contemporary...nuff said. I'm done with this issue, out of respect to some elders, have at it.
I wasn't there but I forgot you probably were involved in the music I wasn't meaning any offense. This preacher hasn't been to Canadian UPC conference in 30 years so it was a shock to him. Said he only knew a handful of preachers time does that.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonix View Post
I mean no disrespect to you whatsoever Felicity so please know this is really written in curiosity.

Why would you even care what the UPC did? Didnt you leave the organazation after being overseas missionaries?
We left the UPC in 1997 - NINE years after we came home.

I will never lose my connection with the UPCI and I have no desire to. In fact, what I want is to STAY connected and I am doing that. Particularly in the past few months it's been amazing the new connections and reconnection with past friends that have been made. It is nothing but the Lord and has to do with God's timing I believe and I'm so thankful for the friends I've made even on these forums who are in the United Pentecostal Church.

My whole life - from the time I was born - has been defined by living for God and doing that within the framework of and in United Pentecostal Churches. How could I ever just not be interested?! Hello!

I still talk sometimes as if we're still UPC. My husband tells me I never left. You can take the girl out of the UPC but you can never take the UPC out of the girl. And far as I'm concerned, this is a very good thing.

Thanks for your interest.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 06-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J View Post
Wow, what a list...

Some very interesting folders listed!!

Where do you download from?

www.kt.org

Two sermons from RT Kendall especially worth listening to:

"The Betrayal Barrier" (A Calvinist perspective, but a good message)

and, "The Value of Unanswered Prayers"

www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/

Look for the Paris Reidhead classic, "Ten Shekels and a Shirt"

and "Your Reasonable Service" by Jim Cymbala

www.christchurchnashville.org

The Dan Scott sermons on Patriarchy are incredible for men.

Two sermons not on the website that I wish I had are Dan Scott's Father's Day sermon from 2006, and the Commencement Day sermon from last year on the topic of immigration.

I have downloaded quite a few from Ren Rutledge's site in the past.

Two great Canadian sermons from there are John Nickerson's sermon, "The Gospel Shall be Preached," and Raymond Beesley's, "The Sin of Prayerlessness."

One sermon that I don't have that I would like to find is, "The Sea and Life," by Bro. Treadway.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf View Post
www.kt.org

Two sermons from RT Kendall especially worth listening to:

"The Betrayal Barrier" (A Calvinist perspective, but a good message)

and, "The Value of Unanswered Prayers"

www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/

Look for the Paris Reidhead classic, "Ten Shekels and a Shirt"

and "Your Reasonable Service" by Jim Cymbala

www.christchurchnashville.org

The Dan Scott sermons on Patriarchy are incredible for men.

Two sermons not on the website that I wish I had are Dan Scott's Father's Day sermon from 2006, and the Commencement Day sermon from last year on the topic of immigration.

I have downloaded quite a few from Ren Rutledge's site in the past.

Two great Canadian sermons from there are John Nickerson's sermon, "The Gospel Shall be Preached," and Raymond Beesley's, "The Sin of Prayerlessness."

One sermon that I don't have that I would like to find is, "The Sea and Life," by Bro. Treadway.
I have the "Question of Immigration" sermon - used to have "The Sea And Life" on cassette but can't seem to find it. "Ten Shekels and a shirt" by Paris Readhead is a must listen.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Clive Pick on tithing from kt.org is pretty good as well