Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Live like it.

Others have said it... may I add my voice?

I posted this on another thread but just felt the need to say it to the general public on AFF.

You know... a 'sticky sweet, never disagree with your neighbour' kind of forum is annoying and not to mention extremely boring... but a 'free for all, speak your mind and who cares how it's taken or who is hurt or angered forum' is just as troubling to me. It flies in the face of the word "Christian".

I'm not saying this forum is all bad, gone to the dogs and I'm leaving RIGHT NOW!!! But, man, why is it we all feel we can say just whatever we please, to whomever we please on a forum.. when most of us wouldn't dream of saying whatever we please to whomever we please in person? (or maybe some would )

I'm not without fault myself, I am well aware. But really, can there not be dialogue without disrespect? Or is it ingrained into the forum life and can never be changed?

And this wasn't in my original post on the other thread but may I add...

How much disrespect are we going to tolerate from one another?

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring...
April Showers Bring May Flowers!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Re: Others have said it... may I add my voice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. LPW View Post
can there not be dialogue without disrespect?

To answer this question... Yes, there could be, but it's up to the posters to make it happen.

As for the second question... again, it's up to the posters to help put an end to it.

If you see posts that are personal attacks toward a person instead of the issues.. use the report button. That's what it's there for.

The only way things are going to change is if the members here help it happen. Admin members can't always see everything.

I rarely have time to read threads in depth unless someone reports something in the thread. Then I take time to read it to see what's going on.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:39 AM
My Family!

Quote:
I posted this on another thread but just felt the need to say it to the general public on AFF.

You know... a 'sticky sweet, never disagree with your neighbour' kind of forum is annoying and not to mention extremely boring... but a 'free for all, speak your mind and who cares how it's taken or who is hurt or angered forum' is just as troubling to me. It flies in the face of the word "Christian".

I'm not saying this forum is all bad, gone to the dogs and I'm leaving RIGHT NOW!!! But, man, why is it we all feel we can say just whatever we please, to whomever we please on a forum.. when most of us wouldn't dream of saying whatever we please to whomever we please in person? (or maybe some would )

I'm not without fault myself, I am well aware. But really, can there not be dialogue without disrespect? Or is it ingrained into the forum life and can never be changed?

And this wasn't in my original post on the other thread but may I add...

I answered on the other thread, but will also here.

Because people forget that behind the words and usernames there are REAL people, with real families, real churches, real reputations.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Indeed...

Thus sayeth the Word of the Living God.

Quote:
James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion [is] vain.
Quote:
Jam 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
Jam 3:6 And the tongue [is] a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
Jam 3:7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
Jam 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; [it is] an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Jam 3:9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Jam 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Quote:
1 Peter 3:8 Finally, [be ye] all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, [be] pitiful, [be] courteous:
1 Peter 3:9 Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.
1 Peter 3:10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:
1 Peter 3:11 Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.
1 Peter 3:12 For the eyes of the Lord [are] over the righteous, and his ears [are open] unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord [is] against them that do evil.
These scriptures are as in force here as they are face to face. These scriptures also come from the same word of God within which we find Acts 2:38 and are equally commanded to us to live before men. All men.

IF there is any new direction here on AFF... Let these scriptures BE that new direction.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Sister Alvear

I think we can disagree in respect. We should all be christians and the Bible teaches more about our spirits...our attitudes than about any other given subject.
I disagree with Brother Epley on women preachers, I disagree with Brother Bloom about end times and disagree with others on other things...however above all disagreements I am a christian...
I have heard (read) other christians not only here but other places names and send people to hell. I don´t go for those kind of things. I am not God to send someone to hell.
I live what I believe and try to be kind to all. It was NOT by talking in tongues that Jesus said all men would know we were his disciples but rather by love...the missing factor in most circles today.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 02-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
I think we can disagree in respect. We should all be christians and the Bible teaches more about our spirits...our attitudes than about any other given subject.
I disagree with Brother Epley on women preachers, I disagree with Brother Bloom about end times and disagree with others on other things...however above all disagreements I am a christian...
I have heard (read) other christians not only here but other places names and send people to hell. I don´t go for those kind of things. I am not God to send someone to hell.
I live what I believe and try to be kind to all. It was NOT by talking in tongues that Jesus said all men would know we were his disciples but rather by love...the missing factor in most circles today.
Amen... and not only love... but love one TO another.

I can have love FOR you but it isn't sufficient. I must show love TO you. The Bible never once says ye shall know them for their "love one for another". It never says that. it says you will know them if they have "love one to another". That is an important distinction.

I am tempted to say EVEN when we disagree. But I believe it is more properly stated... ESPECIALLY when we disagree.

How can we not obey these commands when we disagree? It is when we disagree that these commands have just now come into play.

To not obey these commands when we disagree is to not obey these commands at all.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth

Indeed...

Thus sayeth the Word of the Living God.

Quote:
James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion [is] vain.

Quote:
Jam 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
Jam 3:6 And the tongue [is] a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
Jam 3:7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
Jam 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; [it is] an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Jam 3:9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Jam 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

Quote:
1 Peter 3:8 Finally, [be ye] all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, [be] pitiful, [be] courteous:
1 Peter 3:9 Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.
1 Peter 3:10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:
1 Peter 3:11 Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.
1 Peter 3:12 For the eyes of the Lord [are] over the righteous, and his ears [are open] unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord [is] against them that do evil.

These scriptures are as in force here as they are face to face. These scriptures also come from the same word of God within which we find Acts 2:38 and are equally commanded to us to live before men. All men.

IF there is any new direction here on AFF... Let these scriptures BE that new direction.
VERY good post!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Senor Gunsmoke

Sounds good.

I will not be what I am.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
Sounds good.

I'm sure we can count on you to help us make it happen....
Old 02-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Senor Gunsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
I'm sure we can count on you to help us make it happen....
I'm not so sure about this new direction.

I may need a TomTom to help me find my way around.

And I ain't got the money to buy one.

I will not be what I am.