Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Not riding the train

Re: Mexican Food Recipes

Oh, man, ran across this recipe - ingredients are awesome and fattening! You know this recipe is the bomb! Of course, because it is in Saveur!

I wonder what it would taste like with unrefined Peanut oil instead of Canola or a 50/50 ratio?

Enchiladas Suizas (Chicken Enchiladas in Tomatillo-Cream Sauce)

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ lb. tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed (available at melissas.com)
2 serrano chiles, stemmed
1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1 cup sour cream
½ tsp. cumin seeds, toasted
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup canola oil
8 6″ corn tortillas
3 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 ½ cups shredded queso Oaxaca (available at mexgrocer.com) or mozzarella

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Arrange an oven rack 4″ from the broiler and heat broiler to high. Place tomatillos and serranos on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil, turning as needed, until blackened all over, about 10 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes, and then peel and discard skins. Transfer to a blender along with cilantro, sour cream, cumin, garlic, poblanos, and 1 cup boiling water; season with salt and pepper, and purée until smooth. Set enchilada sauce aside.

2. Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, grasp tortillas with tongs and fry in oil until pliable, about 1 minute. Transfer tortillas to a work surface. Place chicken in a bowl and toss with 1 cup enchilada sauce until evenly coated. Divide sauced chicken evenly among tortillas, and roll tortillas tightly around chicken. Pour about 1 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish, and place tortilla rolls in dish, seam side down, creating one row down the center of the dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over rolls, and cover evenly with cheese.

3. Heat oven to 375°. Bake enchiladas until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted on top, 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve with plenty of sauce.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Oh, man, ran across this recipe - ingredients are awesome and fattening! You know this recipe is the bomb! Of course, because it is in Saveur!

I wonder what it would taste like with unrefined Peanut oil instead of Canola or a 50/50 ratio?

Enchiladas Suizas (Chicken Enchiladas in Tomatillo-Cream Sauce)

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ lb. tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed (available at melissas.com)
2 serrano chiles, stemmed
1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1 cup sour cream
½ tsp. cumin seeds, toasted
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup canola oil
8 6″ corn tortillas
3 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 ½ cups shredded queso Oaxaca (available at mexgrocer.com) or mozzarella

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Arrange an oven rack 4″ from the broiler and heat broiler to high. Place tomatillos and serranos on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil, turning as needed, until blackened all over, about 10 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes, and then peel and discard skins. Transfer to a blender along with cilantro, sour cream, cumin, garlic, poblanos, and 1 cup boiling water; season with salt and pepper, and purée until smooth. Set enchilada sauce aside.

2. Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, grasp tortillas with tongs and fry in oil until pliable, about 1 minute. Transfer tortillas to a work surface. Place chicken in a bowl and toss with 1 cup enchilada sauce until evenly coated. Divide sauced chicken evenly among tortillas, and roll tortillas tightly around chicken. Pour about 1 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish, and place tortilla rolls in dish, seam side down, creating one row down the center of the dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over rolls, and cover evenly with cheese.

3. Heat oven to 375°. Bake enchiladas until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted on top, 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve with plenty of sauce.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:37 PM
of 9!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
I second that motion!!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:42 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
I second that motion!!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:44 PM
of 9!! :)

Don't we miss that sweet lady
Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
Don't we miss that sweet lady
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 PM
On the road less traveled

PO, that recipe sounds awesome. I have been using tomatillos now in almost every Mexican dish I fix, they just add such a great flavor.

A couple things I would do to make it *less* fattening.

One, I am buying corn or flour tortillas that have extra fiber in them, which helps them to not be as fattening - a good thing!

Two, I would not fry the tortillas in oil, but simply use a heated Teflon pan and heat the tortillas until softened. They still roll up wonderfully being heated like this, and way fewer calories!

I have never tried the Mexican cheese, often look at it in the store, but never buy it. I may have to try the Mexican cheese with these enchiladas and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

And I too miss our dear sweet Cindy so much!!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
PO, that recipe sounds awesome. I have been using tomatillos now in almost every Mexican dish I fix, they just add such a great flavor.

A couple things I would do to make it *less* fattening.

One, I am buying corn or flour tortillas that have extra fiber in them, which helps them to not be as fattening - a good thing!

Two, I would not fry the tortillas in oil, but simply use a heated Teflon pan and heat the tortillas until softened. They still roll up wonderfully being heated like this, and way fewer calories!

I have never tried the Mexican cheese, often look at it in the store, but never buy it. I may have to try the Mexican cheese with these enchiladas and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

And I too miss our dear sweet Cindy so much!!
I never fry my tortillas in oil. I rarely use the microwave, but I do soften them in that, wrapping them in a paper towel for less than a minute.

I like to use Monterey Jack with my Enchiladas, and it is almost the same thing. I believe the Mexican cheese is like an unaged Monterey Jack.

I'm going to pick up these ingredients tomorrow. I'll let you know how the dish goes. My jalapenos are starting to produce - big plus for me!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:43 PM
On the road less traveled

Well, then Monterrey Jack it is for me... which is what I had always used for my Mexican dishes. Had never understood the difference between the Mexican queso cheeses and just regular cheddar, mozzarella, or Monterrey Jack.

Lucky you - fresh jalapenos from the garden! I've just got mine planted...

Yes indeed, let us know how you like this recipe... I'm always up for a new Mexican dish!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:49 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Well, then Monterrey Jack it is for me... which is what I had always used for my Mexican dishes. Had never understood the difference between the Mexican queso cheeses and just regular cheddar, mozzarella, or Monterrey Jack.

Lucky you - fresh jalapenos from the garden! I've just got mine planted...

Yes indeed, let us know how you like this recipe... I'm always up for a new Mexican dish!
I have never like Mozzarella or string cheese. Have no idea why it's a food item.

I'll let you know for sure. Now I'm excited to make a new dish!