Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Re: UPC Resolution to Remove TV from Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Sad day.
How so? The potential of TV removal from the manual?
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Quote:
Sad day.
I agree.

As to the issue of the initial limitations of preaching against tech instead of principles, many principles were addressed when these messages were preached. I know this because I heard them referenced numerous times. Television and movies are wastes of time and money. They are a distraction from doing the work of God. They are filled with immodesty, violence, sexual immorality, and all forms of ungodliness. Those are the principles that I often heard preached, and I still believe them.

What changed? Not the principles of the Bible!

The only thing that has changed are the hearts of the men who lead. The manual itself made clear that the violaton of Christian principles was the key motivator that caused them to stand against television.

Many preachers have ceased to address the television itself, and instead preach against all forms of Hollywood style entertainment. For this reason, it becomes obvious what the true motives behind any changes actually are.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Sad day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMUGJZrR9Jg

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

O just an FYI on TV the New Hells Kitchen is on...started last night get your cooking skills on...
Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I agree.

As to the issue of the initial limitations of preaching against tech instead of principles, many principles were addressed when these messages were preached. I know this because I heard them referenced numerous times. INTERNET are wastes of time and money. IT IS a distraction from doing the work of God. IT IS filled with immodesty, violence, sexual immorality, and all forms of ungodliness. Those are the principles that I often heard preached, and I still believe them.

What changed? Not the principles of the Bible!

The only thing that has changed are the hearts of the men who lead. The manual itself made clear that the violaton of Christian principles was the key motivator that caused them to stand against television.

Many preachers have ceased to address the television itself, and instead preach against all forms of Hollywood style entertainment. For this reason, it becomes obvious what the true motives behind any changes actually are.
Please see my edits in your diatribe, and I'd be interested to hear your justification........
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
Please see my edits in your diatribe, and I'd be interested to hear your justification........
If you were to say that all websites met your statements, then I would consider your argument. However, as the argument is more generic, it is rather unhelpful. Further, if that is your view of the internet, why are you violating your concience by surfing it and visiting unnecessary websites such as this. That is the consistent flaw with those who argue that the internet is worse than television, the are never actually interested in abstaining from either.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
If you were to say that all websites met your statements, then I would consider your argument. However, as the argument is more generic, it is rather unhelpful. Further, if that is your view of the internet, why are you violating your concience by surfing it and visiting unnecessary websites such as this. That is the consistent flaw with those who argue that the internet is worse than television, the are never actually interested in abstaining from either.
Ok, this is confusing.....let me see if I can get it straight...

Are you saying that the internet has a mix of good and bad websites, and if you only surf the good ones, that's ok?

And, are you saying that AFF is an unnecessary website?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

The Internet and TV are the same you have to use filters and parental blocks in my opinion,you can go to a TV website and stream content on a PC the same content as on a TV..Glad they passed it. Makes no since to be able to have internet and PC's and smartphones,but not be able to watch TV...Hopefully other things will change in the future. Got to let the old landmarks go, theres a new generation coming up and its time for change...
Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Your view is a cynical one that I reject. While I think there may be many misguided people I think the vast majority of them are sincere and dedicated. It is demeaning and untrue to say that the UPCI is designed to make money and control members.

The budget crisis the UPC HQ has been in for a few years now should dispel the notion that as an org. it is a money making machine. The control thing does happen but as a result of their sects view of the bible. Not because they just created an org. to control members.
I know it might sound cynical.

With the notion of "control" that can be viewed in both good ways and bad ways. First, it can be used to denote the reality that the measures of control protect from false doctrine and/or abuses. Control can also denote various forms of legalism. It can also serve to speak to politics and a specific coalition with a specific agenda maintaining control.

Control isn't always so bad. But it isn't always so good either.

As for the "money making"... let's face it. An organization with a vision like the UPCI needs to generate revenue. The budget crisis is more a symptom of not being able to balance income verses expenses. They have to drastically tighten their belts and let go of some things.

Of course, this is easy for me to say because... I'm a house churcher. I attend two different house churches in my area that are networked with over 20 others in a local network. Each house church is autonomous, we're only linked through common vision. Very little overhead for each house church. The larger campus that the network purchased costs, but each house church contributes to it as desired.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
Ok, this is confusing.....let me see if I can get it straight...

Are you saying that the internet has a mix of good and bad websites, and if you only surf the good ones, that's ok?

And, are you saying that AFF is an unnecessary website?
I believe that the answer to the first question is a solid...yes.

For the second, I was using the word unnecessary in light of the fact that the majority of employers do not approve of their employees visiting websites that are not work related. If you truly flelt that strongly about the internet, you would feel that this website is a rather unproductive manner of spending your time.