Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Go Dodgers!

What do you think of the virginity ring?

You've probably heard of the movement and the controversy in Britain. A Christian girl wears a special ring to school that is a symbol of her promise to remain a virgin until her wedding day...the British school system forbid her to wear it while allowing other religions to wear their religious ornaments....

Is this ring thing a good idea?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
You've probably heard of the movement and the controversy in Britain. A Christian girl wears a special ring to school that is a symbol of her promise to remain a virgin until her wedding day...the British school system forbid her to wear it while allowing other religions to wear their religious ornaments....

Is this ring thing a good idea?
My understanding is the school has a rule against any jewelry. It had nothing to do with it being a religious symbol.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
My understanding is the school has a rule against any jewelry. It had nothing to do with it being a religious symbol.
They give exceptions to other religions that wear religious symbols and jewelry like the Sikhs and Muslims

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
They give exceptions to other religions that wear religious symbols and jewelry like the Sikhs and Muslims
Can you post the article? I don't remember where it was I read it.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Lawyers for the school denied discrimination and said the purity ring breached its rules on wearing jewelry.

They said allowances were made for Muslim and Sikh pupils only for items integral to their religious beliefs and that, for the same reason, crucifixes were also allowed. But it argued that the purity ring was not an integral part of the Christian faith.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19806312/

Old 07-22-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:

"They said allowances were made for Muslim and Sikh pupils only for items integral to their religious beliefs and that, for the same reason, crucifixes were also allowed. But it argued that the purity ring was not an integral part of the Christian faith. "

And they were correct in their argument. A purity ring is not an integral part of the Christian faith. I don't see how what they did was wrong, Prax. It seems to me they applied the school rules fairly.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
"They said allowances were made for Muslim and Sikh pupils only for items integral to their religious beliefs and that, for the same reason, crucifixes were also allowed. But it argued that the purity ring was not an integral part of the Christian faith. "

And they were correct in their argument. A purity ring is not an integral part of the Christian faith. I don't see how what they did was wrong, Prax. It seems to me they applied the school rules fairly.
Well first of all Im really asking if the ring is a good idea, not if this decision was right or wrong.

Second, that is is not an integral part of "the Christian faith" is purely subjective. What is The christian faith to you is not the same as to someone else. Same with Islam...is a veil really an integral part of the Islamic faith? Not all muslims would say it is

Old 07-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Go Dodgers!

anyways, I admire this girls guts

Old 07-22-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Well first of all Im really asking if the ring is a good idea, not if this decision was right or wrong.

Second, that is is not an integral part of "the Christian faith" is purely subjective. What is The christian faith to you is not the same as to someone else. Same with Islam...is a veil really an integral part of the Islamic faith? Not all muslims would say it is
Brother, how many Christian churches do you know of that have the youngsters wear purity rings? Very few. The practice is not a common one among Christians. The veil among the Islamic folks is fairly common.

To answer your question, I don't see what more a ring could do to help someone keep their virginity. If a made up mind isn't enough I am sure a ring would not make a bit of difference. Still, I can see how the youth could get into a practice like that.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Tell me something, does the boy wear the ring or the girl????? Is it like a chastity belt?

- Groucho Marx