Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

The unmeasurable power of prayer...

Prayer is a subject that a lot of folks don't mind speaking about, but not all put into practiuce. Speaking for myself here, I can tell you that there are times that I don't want to think about get-down, grabbing the horns of the altar kind of praying.

It involves sacrifice and strength and time, ya know?! Even whispering a prayer on the run involves thinking about the needs of others.

But God ordained that men and women ought to always pray, and that without ceasing.

Whoa!! Praying all of the time...24/7...living in a realm of never ending prayer. How can this be?! How is it possible?!

Well, I believe we pray without ceasing when we remember to always pray. Seems elementary, yet how often have I lacked praying in season...not praying when the spirit of prayer came upon me because I was too weary or busy or just flat out didn't feel like it?!

Yet there is a power that cannot be matched in the prayers of God's people. When the Church prayed, men were released from prison. When they prayed, the dead rose, blinded eyes were opened, and the lame walked. Demons were cast out and sin sick hearts healed and set free when the Church prayed.

There are many wonderful things about prayer, not the least of which is that one doesn't need to know reasons or specific needs to simply pray. Prayer reaches to those places and emotions that we can't easily describe to others, yet the great and wonderful Master of our souls knows just what we need and when we need.

Prayer transcends time and place, meaning that we can pray for someone who may be a zillion miles away, knowing that the omnipresent Father of us all can do His thing and heal and comfort and soothe and restore and protect and provide, and we don't have to even be there.

I don't have to lay my hand on you to pray. I can sit here at my computer and pray for strength for the journey and rest for the soul. I can drive in my car and pray that God would minister to your need today. I can lay on my face in the carpet and intercede to the Almighty on your behalf that He would convict and deliver and restore.

Prayer knows no boundaries and can do what NOTHING else can do. Confrontation and headbanging may only gender strife, but prayer can turn the hardened heart and bring favor.

My prayer today is a selfish one...I am praying for ME!! I am praying to have a heart after God and seek His face as never before. I pray that the spirit of prayer might rest on me and direct my steps and speak to my inner beings so that I might have a positive effect on those in my realm of influence. I want to be a vessel He works through and not just speaks to.

Help me, Jesus...
Old 06-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

The unmeasurable power of prayer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Prayer is a subject that a lot of folks don't mind speaking about, but not all put into practiuce. Speaking for myself here, I can tell you that there are times that I don't want to think about get-down, grabbing the horns of the altar kind of praying.

It involves sacrifice and strength and time, ya know?! Even whispering a prayer on the run involves thinking about the needs of others.

But God ordained that men and women ought to always pray, and that without ceasing.

Whoa!! Praying all of the time...24/7...living in a realm of never ending prayer. How can this be?! How is it possible?!

Well, I believe we pray without ceasing when we remember to always pray. Seems elementary, yet how often have I lacked praying in season...not praying when the spirit of prayer came upon me because I was too weary or busy or just flat out didn't feel like it?!

Yet there is a power that cannot be matched in the prayers of God's people. When the Church prayed, men were released from prison. When they prayed, the dead rose, blinded eyes were opened, and the lame walked. Demons were cast out and sin sick hearts healed and set free when the Church prayed.

There are many wonderful things about prayer, not the least of which is that one doesn't need to know reasons or specific needs to simply pray. Prayer reaches to those places and emotions that we can't easily describe to others, yet the great and wonderful Master of our souls knows just what we need and when we need.

Prayer transcends time and place, meaning that we can pray for someone who may be a zillion miles away, knowing that the omnipresent Father of us all can do His thing and heal and comfort and soothe and restore and protect and provide, and we don't have to even be there.

I don't have to lay my hand on you to pray. I can sit here at my computer and pray for strength for the journey and rest for the soul. I can drive in my car and pray that God would minister to your need today. I can lay on my face in the carpet and intercede to the Almighty on your behalf that He would convict and deliver and restore.

Prayer knows no boundaries and can do what NOTHING else can do. Confrontation and headbanging may only gender strife, but prayer can turn the hardened heart and bring favor.

My prayer today is a selfish one...I am praying for ME!! I am praying to have a heart after God and seek His face as never before. I pray that the spirit of prayer might rest on me and direct my steps and speak to my inner beings so that I might have a positive effect on those in my realm of influence. I want to be a vessel He works through and not just speaks to.

Help me, Jesus...
Sis. Barb,

What an awesome, powerful article you have written on prayer. There

is so much power in prayer. Makes one wonder why we do not pray more.

Lord, teach us to pray, his disciples requested. That should be the desire

of every child of God. To have a passion to pray and to pray effectively!!

Blessings,

Falla39
Old 06-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
Sis. Barb,

What an awesome, powerful article you have written on prayer. There

is so much power in prayer. Makes one wonder why we do not pray more.

Lord, teach us to pray, his disciples requested. That should be the desire

of every child of God. To have a passion to pray and to pray effectively!!

Blessings,

Falla39
The 21st century Church has not begun to tap into the power of prayer, Mother Falla...some perhaps, but as a whole, I fear we have not.

You hit on a key word...passion!! Where is our passion?! Is it in things or people?! Is it in making ourselves as comfortable as we can?! Is it in the pursuit of our own desires and foolishness?!

Or is our passion in things above?!

Ahhh...maybe this thread should be combined with the 'Glory' thread because the two subjects go hand in hand I think...
Old 06-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Help me, Jesus...
I liked your entire post, but the part above really ministered to me as did the presence of the Lord when I read it. Thanks for sharing this.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 06-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
I liked your entire post, but the part above really ministered to me as did the presence of the Lord when I read it. Thanks for sharing this.
The post I made this morning was on my heart and mind when I walked into service today. The Lord met us at the beginning of service and just tore up our plans...I just knelt at my seat and began to seek His face and He ministered to me in ways I cannot begin to describe.

I want to always be able to do that...simply and quickly acknowledge the call to prayer and do it.

I am thankful that you were blessed...it is truly the Lord's doing.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Create Your Own Rainbows!

Amen! Beautiful post, Barb.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamor View Post
Amen! Beautiful post, Barb.
God bless you, tam...there is a stirring in my spirit to seek Him more.

You may be too young to know this, but there was a song from the late 50s by Doris Akers...

There's a still, small voice saying to me,
"Closer...closer...draw closer to me."

In a whispered tone, it never leaves me alone,

Oh I want to hear every message clear
Yes I want every word to come through

For if I make it in, I must draw close to Him
Closer...closer...draw closer to Him!!

That's the way I am a feeling, girl...
Old 06-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Create Your Own Rainbows!

Quote:
God bless you, tam...there is a stirring in my spirit to seek Him more.

You may be too young to know this, but there was a song from the late 50s by Doris Akers...

There's a still, small voice saying to me,

In a whispered tone, it never leaves me alone,

Oh I want to hear every message clear
Yes I want every word to come through

For if I make it in, I must draw close to Him
Closer...closer...draw closer to Him!!

That's the way I am a feeling, girl...
I have never heard that, but the words are beautiful. I love that intimate time with him. Nothing can compare.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:11 PM
SarahElizabeth

OK...I went to afternoon service, by the way, for all of you who think I didn't go to church today.

Let's sing a few songs about Prayer and here's some thoughts about the song "Sweet Hour of Prayer from cyberhymnal.com:

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/s/h/shop.htm

William B. Bradbury (1816-1868)
Words: William Walford, 1845; appeared in The New York Observer, September 13, 1845, accompanied by the following, written by Thomas Salmon:

During my residence at Coleshill, Warwickshire, England, I became acquainted with W. W. Walford, the blind preacher, a man of obscure birth and connections and no education, but of strong mind and most retentive memory. In the pulpit he never failed to select a lesson well adapted to his subject, giving chapter and verse with unerring precision and scarcely ever misplacing a word in his repetition of the Psalms, every part of the New Testament, the prophecies, and some of the histories, so as to have the reputation of “knowing the whole Bible by heart.” He actually sat in the chimney corner, employing his mind in composing a sermon or two for Sabbath delivery, and his hands in cutting, shaping and polishing bones for shoe horns and other little useful implements. At intervals he attempted poetry. On one occasion, paying him a visit, he repeated two or three pieces which he had composed, and having no friend at home to commit them to paper, he had laid them up in the storehouse within. “How will this do?” asked he, as he repeated the following lines, with a complacent smile touched with some light lines of fear lest he subject himself to criticism. I rapidly copied the lines with my pencil, as he uttered them, and sent them for insertion in the Observer, if you should think them worthy of preservation.

Music: Sweet Hour, William B. Bradbury, Golden Chain (New York: 1861) (MIDI, score).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

SWEET HOUR OF PRAYER (This is one of my favorite songs about prayer!)

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
That calls me from a world of care,
And bids me at my Father’s throne
Make all my wants and wishes known.
In seasons of distress and grief,
My soul has often found relief
And oft escaped the tempter’s snare
By thy return, sweet hour of prayer!

The joys I feel, the bliss I share,
Of those whose anxious spirits burn
With strong desires for thy return!
With such I hasten to the place
Where God my Savior shows His face,
And gladly take my station there,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!

Thy wings shall my petition bear
To Him whose truth and faithfulness
Engage the waiting soul to bless.
And since He bids me seek His face,
Believe His Word and trust His grace,
I’ll cast on Him my every care,

May I thy consolation share,
Till, from Mount Pisgah’s lofty height,
I view my home and take my flight:
This robe of flesh I’ll drop and rise
To seize the everlasting prize;
And shout, while passing through the air,
“Farewell, farewell, sweet hour of prayer!”

-----Or listen to it here: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh496.sht

http://library.timelesstruths.org/li..._of_Prayer.mid

http://www.g7music.net/cgi-bin/show_...?scoreid=62671

http://junior.apk.net/~bmames/ht0077_.htm

From the electronic hymnal:

http://ehymnal.com/sweet.shtml

OR, read more about William Walford and "Sweet Hour of Prayer" at the Christian History Instititute:

http://chi.gospelcom.net/DAILYF/2003...-13-2003.shtml

This is one of my favorite old hymns. I love it. Just need to practice what it says more often.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahElizabeth View Post
OK...I went to afternoon service, by the way, for all of you who think I didn't go to church today.

Let's sing a few songs about Prayer and here's some thoughts about the song "Sweet Hour of Prayer from cyberhymnal.com:

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/s/h/shop.htm

William B. Bradbury (1816-1868)
Words: William Walford, 1845; appeared in The New York Observer, September 13, 1845, accompanied by the following, written by Thomas Salmon:

During my residence at Coleshill, Warwickshire, England, I became acquainted with W. W. Walford, the blind preacher, a man of obscure birth and connections and no education, but of strong mind and most retentive memory. In the pulpit he never failed to select a lesson well adapted to his subject, giving chapter and verse with unerring precision and scarcely ever misplacing a word in his repetition of the Psalms, every part of the New Testament, the prophecies, and some of the histories, so as to have the reputation of “knowing the whole Bible by heart.” He actually sat in the chimney corner, employing his mind in composing a sermon or two for Sabbath delivery, and his hands in cutting, shaping and polishing bones for shoe horns and other little useful implements. At intervals he attempted poetry. On one occasion, paying him a visit, he repeated two or three pieces which he had composed, and having no friend at home to commit them to paper, he had laid them up in the storehouse within. “How will this do?” asked he, as he repeated the following lines, with a complacent smile touched with some light lines of fear lest he subject himself to criticism. I rapidly copied the lines with my pencil, as he uttered them, and sent them for insertion in the Observer, if you should think them worthy of preservation.

Music: Sweet Hour, William B. Bradbury, Golden Chain (New York: 1861) (MIDI, score).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

SWEET HOUR OF PRAYER (This is one of my favorite songs about prayer!)

That calls me from a world of care,
And bids me at my Father’s throne
Make all my wants and wishes known.
In seasons of distress and grief,
My soul has often found relief
And oft escaped the tempter’s snare
By thy return, sweet hour of prayer!

The joys I feel, the bliss I share,
Of those whose anxious spirits burn
With strong desires for thy return!
With such I hasten to the place
Where God my Savior shows His face,
And gladly take my station there,

Thy wings shall my petition bear
To Him whose truth and faithfulness
Engage the waiting soul to bless.
And since He bids me seek His face,
Believe His Word and trust His grace,
I’ll cast on Him my every care,

May I thy consolation share,
Till, from Mount Pisgah’s lofty height,
I view my home and take my flight:
This robe of flesh I’ll drop and rise
To seize the everlasting prize;
And shout, while passing through the air,
“Farewell, farewell, sweet hour of prayer!”

-----Or listen to it here: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh496.sht

http://library.timelesstruths.org/li..._of_Prayer.mid

http://www.g7music.net/cgi-bin/show_...?scoreid=62671

http://junior.apk.net/~bmames/ht0077_.htm

From the electronic hymnal:

http://ehymnal.com/sweet.shtml

OR, read more about William Walford and "Sweet Hour of Prayer" at the Christian History Instititute:

http://chi.gospelcom.net/DAILYF/2003...-13-2003.shtml

This is one of my favorite old hymns. I love it. Just need to practice what it says more often.
The lyrics are familiar, as I recall the many services from my youth in which this song was sung. More is the pity that those who come behind us may not only not know this beautiful hymn of the Church, but may miss the power and wealth in a sweet hour of prayer.

Thank you SO much for posting this, SE...