Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:16 AM
Registered Saint

Re: Which translation do you enjoy?

I used the New King James Version growing up. I was raised Assemblies Of God.
When I started attending a UPCI church they told me the King James Version was the only dependable bible. I switched to the KJV and used it for the last couple of decades. Recently I have started using the World English Bible online. It reads like the KJV with out all the the's and thou's.

When I want to look up a specific verse that needs further study I go to Young's Literal Translation. I have always done this. Even in my KJV only days.

I have recently been using the Amplified Bible to look up certain verses. People who believe in easy believe-ism should look up Romans 10. It brings on a whole different meaning when you read it in the Amplified version.

When there it a verse that speaks about eternity I like the Weymouth translation. It correctly talks about ages.

Below I have shown some examples of how different some verses read in the different translations.

World English Bible
Mathew 18
9 If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out, and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into the Gehenna[a] of fire.
Footnotes:
a. Matthew 18:9 or, Hell

Amplified Bible
Romans 10
8 But what does it say? The Word (God’s message in Christ) is near you, on your lips and in your heart; that is, the Word (the message, the basis and object) of faith which we preach,
9 Because if you acknowledge and confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and in your heart believe (adhere to, trust in, and rely on the truth) that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart a person believes (adheres to, trusts in, and relies on Christ) and so is justified (declared righteous, acceptable to God), and with the mouth he confesses (declares openly and speaks out freely his faith) and confirms [his] salvation.
11 The Scripture says, No man who believes in Him [who adheres to, relies on, and trusts in Him] will [ever] be put to shame or be disappointed.

Young’s Literal Translation
Mathew 12
31 Because of this I say to you, all sin and evil speaking shall be forgiven to men, but the evil speaking of the Spirit shall not be forgiven to men.
32 And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it shall be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming.

Weymouth
John 3
16For so greatly did God love the world that He gave His only Son, that every one who trusts in Him may not perish but may have the Life of Ages.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 PM
crakjak

My foundation is the King James, due to so much invested in reading and studying over the years.
But now I would much rather read the Good News Translation, its accuracy is very good, and the modern language is easy.
I use Young's Literal Translation to reinforce the original intent.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 03-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Resurrecting old thread....

I use the NASB and sometimes I check out the ESV. If you read David K Bernard books you will see how critical he is to the KJV for being old English and using words that may mean something else that what come to your mind. For example, the word "kind" and sometimes "after" in the KJV has a different meaning than todays use of them.

In the UPCI, KJV is the main reading translation still, but NKJV is becoming popular.

If you read KJV because you enjoy that old english that is perfectly fine. But being KJV-only (the movement) is the result of ignorance, or tendency to believe in conspiracies, or just fear of change. Not to say that putting a person or group of people on pedestals (like some people do to the KJV translators) is usually the beginning of cults. Examine everything retain what is good. KJV did the same thing good literal translation teams do nowadays: improve upon somebody else work, using the best manuscripts available and the contemporary language. The bible books weren't written in an ancient or embellished language, but very commonly use at their time. KJV adds an extra complexity to the reading that it is not necessary, especially for new converts. That being said, I don't read or recommend any dynamic equivalence translation like NIV, NLT, etc... because I see danger in the approach.
I hope I didn't offend anybody.
To have a good deep study of translations I recommend this web site: http://bible-researcher.com.

Last edited by coksiw; 03-20-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Do worry your ignorance on the subject didn’t offended me. I use KJV as my primary bible and only use others as references.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
Do worry your ignorance on the subject didn’t offended me. I use KJV as my primary bible and only use others as references.
Lol, I’m glad my ignorance didn’t offend you
Old 03-20-2019, 07:55 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

KJV adds an extra complexity to the reading that it is not necessary, especially for new converts.

Nonsense, my kids learned phonics and how to read using the KJV as a primary reading text. My ten year old reads it every day.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 03-20-2019, 08:59 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Resurrecting old thread....

I use the NASB and sometimes I check out the ESV. If you read David K Bernard books you will see how critical he is to the KJV for being old English and using words that may mean something else that what come to your mind. For example, the word "kind" and sometimes "after" in the KJV has a different meaning than todays use of them.

In the UPCI, KJV is the main reading translation still, but NKJV is becoming popular.

If you read KJV because you enjoy that old english that is perfectly fine. But being KJV-only (the movement) is the result of ignorance, or tendency to believe in conspiracies, or just fear of change. Not to say that putting a person or group of people on pedestals (like some people do to the KJV translators) is usually the beginning of cults. Examine everything retain what is good. KJV did the same thing good literal translation teams do nowadays: improve upon somebody else work, using the best manuscripts available and the contemporary language. The bible books weren't written in an ancient or embellished language, but very commonly use at their time. KJV adds an extra complexity to the reading that it is not necessary, especially for new converts. That being said, I don't read or recommend any dynamic equivalence translation like NIV, NLT, etc... because I see danger in the approach.
I hope I didn't offend anybody.
To have a good deep study of translations I recommend this web site: http://bible-researcher.com.
I like the NET, LEB and NKJV

The KJV uses archaic words

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:01 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
Most new concerts weren't raised reading the kjv

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:08 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Most new con(v)erts weren't raised reading the kjv
Can't for the text lingo version, should be coming out soon.

Genesis 1:1-2
"At 1st, G did THATE. & all sucked. n dark n stuff. n G Spirit wuz on da h20s."

We gotta stay relevant and modernized, after all.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 03-21-2019, 12:01 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

I use the KJV, my wife and oldest daughter use Greek Bibles.
My youngest uses KJV.