Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 AM
On the road less traveled

Re: Low Carb Diet Anyone?

I don't have a dehydrator, but thinking seriously about getting one. Do you think it is worth the investment? And which brand would you suggest?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

I have limited carbs in my diet for several years. Last year I went on a severe carb limiting diet for 4 months and lost 30 lbs. and have kept it off. The secret was to slowly reintroduce good carbs back in the diet. By good carbs, I mean some fruits, yams, tomatoes, and whole grains. I eat very little white sugar, flour, pasta, potatoes. It is working for me, but is a life style change.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I don't have a dehydrator, but thinking seriously about getting one. Do you think it is worth the investment? And which brand would you suggest?
When I bought mine I did research and found the 'Excalibur" was the most recommended...you can get different sizes. Mine is mid size, depending on how much you are wanting to process and how big your family is...like most things they are not cheap, but I am sure it will last you many years...
Old 04-10-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roagiesgal View Post
When I bought mine I did research and found the 'Excalibur" was the most recommended...you can get different sizes. Mine is mid size, depending on how much you are wanting to process and how big your family is...like most things they are not cheap, but I am sure it will last you many years...
Thanks Roagiesgal! I think I will look for one on craigslist or at local yard sales.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubayou View Post
I have limited carbs in my diet for several years. Last year I went on a severe carb limiting diet for 4 months and lost 30 lbs. and have kept it off. The secret was to slowly reintroduce good carbs back in the diet. By good carbs, I mean some fruits, yams, tomatoes, and whole grains. I eat very little white sugar, flour, pasta, potatoes. It is working for me, but is a life style change.
That is awesome! It is definitely a lifestyle change to cut out the bad carbs, and enjoy the good ones. We use only whole wheat flour at my house, at that, it is sparingly. I've been using green veggies in almost everything I cook. My kids have, on their own accord, stopped drinking sodas and drink only water, some sweet tea on weekends, or with special meals. It is a lifestyle change that definitely is worth it!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
That is awesome! It is definitely a lifestyle change to cut out the bad carbs, and enjoy the good ones. We use only whole wheat flour at my house, at that, it is sparingly. I've been using green veggies in almost everything I cook. My kids have, on their own accord, stopped drinking sodas and drink only water, some sweet tea on weekends, or with special meals. It is a lifestyle change that definitely is worth it!
I use the Excalibur. There are plenty of dehydrators on craigslist for pennies and getting one of them would be a great way to find out if you will use it and how much.

Try Stevia for the 'sweet tea'... It takes a tiny bit of getting used to but if you make the choices that or water...the choice becomes clear. We're Texans, sweet tea is a staple.

If you get a chance read Wheat Belly.