Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Scripture > Tradition

The most controversial pastor in North America

Ladies and gentlemen (and Timmy),

I introduce you to a big influence on me in the last few years... Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church, Seattle WA.

He teaches that the Song of Soloman isn't a allegory of Gods love for the church... and if it was it would put Christ in the odd position of touching a guy in a unmodest way.

He teaches alcohol is ok in moderation.

He teaches hell is super hot and ticks off liberals.

He teaches that ladies should focus on their families before jobs.

He has the 15th fastest growing church in the nation in one of the toughest and most liberal towns in America with 9000 showing up every week.

The SBC has tried to ban his books, the liberals say hes a homophobe, Focus on the Family banned him because he said Song of Soloman is gay when you make it a allegory instead of a romance story.

http://persiflagethis.blogspot.com/2...-driscoll.html

Name-calling is the last resort of an exhausted mind.

When people have the facts, they argue the facts.

When they don't have the facts, they call names.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Re: The most controversial pastor in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocrypha View Post
Ladies and gentlemen (and Timmy),

I introduce you to a big influence on me in the last few years... Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church, Seattle WA.

He teaches that the Song of Soloman isn't a allegory of Gods love for the church... and if it was it would put Christ in the odd position of touching a guy in a unmodest way.

He teaches alcohol is ok in moderation.

He teaches hell is super hot and ticks off liberals.

He teaches that ladies should focus on their families before jobs.

He has the 15th fastest growing church in the nation in one of the toughest and most liberal towns in America with 9000 showing up every week.

The SBC has tried to ban his books, the liberals say hes a homophobe, Focus on the Family banned him because he said Song of Soloman is gay when you make it a allegory instead of a romance story.

http://persiflagethis.blogspot.com/2...-driscoll.html
Emerging church.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Scripture > Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by coadie View Post
Emerging church.
Actually he is one of its most vocal critics. But thanks or your imput

Driscoll, in sermons, has claimed to be "Emerging" or "Emerging Reformed" but not "Emergent."[14][15]

His description of his association with, and eventual distancing from the Emergent Church movement:[16]

In the mid-1990s I was part of what is now known as the Emerging Church and spent some time traveling the country to speak on the emerging church in the emerging culture on a team put together by Leadership Network called the Young Leader Network. But, I eventually had to distance myself from the Emergent stream of the network because friends like Brian McLaren and Doug Pagitt began pushing a theological agenda that greatly troubled me. Examples include referring to God as a chick, questioning God's sovereignty over and knowledge of the future, denial of the substitutionary atonement at the cross, a low view of Scripture, and denial of hell which is one hell of a mistake.

Driscoll, along with Leif Moi, Mike Gunn, and the Acts 29 network of independent churches, is part of the missional theology community that adheres to classical Calvinist, or Reformed, theology and views their mission as communicating this school of theology to "modern" people (Emerging Reformed).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Dr...hurch_Movement

Old 11-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Driscoll first picked up his reputation when thousands met him in Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz as Mark the Cussing Pastor

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/...ber/30.44.html
Old 11-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Scripture > Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by coadie View Post
Driscoll first picked up his reputation when thousands met him in Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz as Mark the Cussing Pastor

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/...ber/30.44.html
Donald Miller is one of his biggest critics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Miller_(author)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Like_Jazz

Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 AM
My Family!

I never thought Song of Solomon was anything but a love story!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Venerable Reformed expositor John MacArthur has complimented Driscoll's soteriology. He is thankful that Driscoll stresses substitutionary atonement and justification by faith alone. But that doesn't make up for his "infatuation with the vulgar aspects of contemporary society," MacArthur wrote last December in Pulpit magazine.
Bring in the booze.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
“You are not your job. You are not how much you have in the bank. You are not the contents of your wallet. You are not your khakis. You are not the shoes you wear. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.”
- Tyler Durden, from Fight Club
Apo, your signature line reminds me of something I've had on my refrigerator for over 15 years:

It is illogical to reason thus, "I am richer than you, therefore I am superior to you," "I am more eloquent than you, therefore I am superior to you." It is more logical to reason, "I am richer than you, therefore my property is superior to yours," "I am more eloquent than you, therefore my speech is superior to yours." You are something more than property or speech.

Epictetus, Discourses

and Luke 12:23 The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 11-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Renewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
I never thought Song of Solomon was anything but a love story!
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 11-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

http://www.enjoyinggodministries.com...church-part-i/

Quote:
Thus, in summary, the Emergent “conversation” is often dominated by its perception of widespread cultural change and how the church has or has not adapted. Carson will focus much of his discussion both on how Emergent leaders have diagnosed the changes in our culture as well as their prescription for what the church must do if it hopes to maintain its public profile and exert a measure of influence for the kingdom of God. Carson is right to ask the following question, and with it I’ll close this first installment of my summation of his book:
Pentecostals are a Spirit led movement. The emergents are a culture driven movement.