Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Marriage Matters
Facebook

Notices

Marriage Matters For discussion of Marital issues

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Re: Marriage Rejuvenation?

Speaking of marriage, shaz, are you married and how do you make an income?

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 11-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Banned

ya i'm focused right now on a more important--to me--marriage, MB, and "income" implies working for food. i am much too busy for that, working on the first thing
Old 11-12-2016, 08:49 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
ya i'm focused right now on a more important--to me--marriage, MB, and "income" implies working for food. i am much too busy for that, working on the first thing
Ah, so you get food stamps?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 11-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
So you receive welfare?

Guess you never read this:

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 11-12-2016, 09:16 PM
On the road less traveled

If I'm not mistaken, he has talked in the past about working on a farm for food. I have no idea if that is still his case or not, as he said something now about living with his mother in Florida, and the farm working was when he was living in Colorado, I think.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
If I'm not mistaken, he has talked in the past about working on a farm for food. I have no idea if that is still his case or not, as he said something now about living with his mother in Florida, and the farm working was when he was living in Colorado, I think.
So he's not working now? He just said he's too busy to work. Riiiight.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
So he's not working now? He just said he's too busy to work. Riiiight.
I don't know what he is doing now. He hasn't said. I just know that in the past he did work on a farm and got paid with food and board, I think.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
So you receive welfare?

Guess you never read this:

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
This verse isn't about Welfare. In context it reads:
2 Thessalonians 3:1-12 King James Version (KJV)
1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:
2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.
3 But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
4 And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you.
5 And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.
6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.
7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;
8 Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you:
9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.
10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
11 For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.
12 Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.
This is about moochers (both in and out of the ministry) that mooch off of the church. It has nothing to do with agrarian welfare or social measures common at the time such as gleaning, the poor tithe, etc. These were all "rights" of the poor under God's Law.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
This verse isn't about Welfare. In context it reads:
2 Thessalonians 3:1-12 King James Version (KJV)
1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:
2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.
3 But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
4 And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you.
5 And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.
6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.
7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;
8 Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you:
9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.
10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
11 For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.
12 Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.
This is about moochers (both in and out of the ministry) that mooch off of the church. It has nothing to do with agrarian welfare or social measures common at the time such as gleaning, the poor tithe, etc. These were all "rights" of the poor under God's Law.
God's law provided for those who could not work, due to illness, injury or age. It did not provide for those who were fully able to work and provide for their families, and did not.

Welfare was meant originally to help people in bad times to have time to regroup and get back on their feet, not to prop their feet up forever at the expense of their tax-paying neighbors.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
God's law provided for those who could not work, due to illness, injury or age. It did not provide for those who were fully able to work and provide for their families, and did not.
We have Bible verses for gleaning rights for the poor, orphaned, widows, strangers, etc. However, do you have chapter and verse from the Law of Moses stating that those who were fully able to work had no right to glean?

Please note: Jesus and his disciples freely gleaned corn from a field in the NT.

Quote:
Welfare was meant originally to help people in bad times to have time to regroup and get back on their feet, not to prop their feet up forever at the expense of their tax-paying neighbors.
Agreed. In Ohio one can only draw like five years of welfare in one's life time. Typically, if you see someone drawing benefits of any kind for a period beyond that it is because they qualified for SSI based on some diagnosed disability or condition.
Closed Thread