Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Not riding the train

John 2:6 - Background?

Joh 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.

Can someone give me the background on this scripture? I was reading this and never noticed it before.

What do the six waterpots of stone have to do with "the manner of the purifying of the Jews"?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:57 AM
My Family!

http://www.biblegateway.com/resource...1&seq=i.50.2.1

Haven't read this yet.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

They were simply waterpots set out for the Jews to wash their hands with before eating. (They also could be used to purify vessels and utensils as required.)

The number 6 is immaterial as the number of pots was set out in proportion to the number of guests.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Thanks, Renda. I'll check that out.

Skimmed over the article and didn't see anything on the subject.

Thanks for the link, though. I'll check closer when I have more time to make sure I didn't miss something.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrford View Post
They were simply waterpots set out for the Jews to wash their hands with before eating. (They also could be used to purify vessels and utensils as required.)

The number 6 is immaterial as the number of pots was set out in proportion to the number of guests.
I wasn't thinking the number 6 was significant. I should have remembered about the washing. Guess I thought it was something more because it was a wedding.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Not riding the train

Jamieson, Fausset & Brown says, " 6. firkins--about seven and a half gallons in Jewish, or nine in Attic measure; each of these huge water jars, therefore, holding some twenty or more gallons, for washings at such feasts ( Mar 7:4 ).

Mark 7:4 "And [when they come] from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, [as] the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables."

Wonder why they would want to drink water that people washed their hands in?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

1And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:

2And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage.

3And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.

4Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.

5His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.

6And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.

7Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim.

8And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it.

9When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew the governor of the feast called the bridegroom,

10And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

11This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.

The waterpots here I believe were used top clean the guests dirty feet.
Jesus used a simple instrument to turn dirty water into something good.

No different then him picking up some dirt hocking a lugey into it then curing the man of blindness.

Not only does God use the base things, and things that are despised but I believe he has a sense of humour.

That musta been some good Toe Jam wine!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

God used what was AVAILABLE...
Old 04-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
1And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:

2And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage.

3And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.

4Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.

5His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.

6And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.

7Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim.

8And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it.

9When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew the governor of the feast called the bridegroom,

10And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

11This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.

The waterpots here I believe were used top clean the guests dirty feet.
Jesus used a simple instrument to turn dirty water into something good.

No different then him picking up some dirt hocking a lugey into it then curing the man of blindness.

Not only does God use the base things, and things that are despised but I believe he has a sense of humour.

That musta been some good Toe Jam wine!
lol! This was great, RonB!!!

Excellent point in verse 9. Just goes to show I didn't read it carefully.

It's like this CD that I got in the mail yesterday. lol I ordered it because it was listed under the Christian section - Josh Turner - I put it in the changer with all the others and I just heard him say, "I need a good women bad." I'm like, "What?!!!" and went to check it out. He's has a great voice, but I guess I'll have to send that one back. lol I'll have to get back on Sound and Spirit and see what I did wrong on that order. lol!

Back on topic. I was just thinking there was something more particular about the purification that went along with a wedding ceremony and not just merely a pot of water to wash your hands in.

Again, great post, Ron!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
God used what was AVAILABLE...
Right, girl and that will preach!!!!