Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Prepper's Patch
Facebook

Notices

Prepper's Patch Prepping & Planning; Share your practical prepping and survival skills!

Old 01-08-2014, 10:42 AM
On the road less traveled

Re: Any Jesus Name Apostolic prepper familys out t

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee819 View Post
Yes, I agree. I believe that every Christian should be looking forward to simplifying their life, instead of following the rat-race that is the standard of the world. It is more important to teach children, common sense as well as the love of God, than it is for them to be popular at school.
And if possible, Home School is the best.

Common sense, would include how to take care of themselves in an emergency. There will be so many people, that will not have a clue as to what to do, except to prey on those that do.

When I say, look forward, they may find the work harder, but working with the family they may find it to be the most enjoyable kind of life. But for those that have never lived this kind of life, they may need someone to guide them.
Yes, and what you said about people "preying on others"... that is something that should concern those who are preparing. It is wise to be careful and quiet about what you are doing, and not go around "bragging" about how much you may have stored up. If times get hard, and people are desperate, things will get ugly. Yet, we must remember that Christians, as the light and salt of the world, must be ready to help others as much as we can.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Yes, and what you said about people "preying on others"... that is something that should concern those who are preparing. It is wise to be careful and quiet about what you are doing, and not go around "bragging" about how much you may have stored up. If times get hard, and people are desperate, things will get ugly. Yet, we must remember that Christians, as the light and salt of the world, must be ready to help others as much as we can.

Good stuff ladies...be wise!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygo View Post
We are wanting to meet other Jesus Name apostolic family's who like remote living, or off grid living.
We raise our own, beef, pork, and can. Really simple life, and enjoy doing fun things as a family.
Milk cow, homemade cheese and hunting.
Would like help on solar and wind projects, or ideas.
Most people only feel safe in crowded citys with street lights, we prefer moon light and stars.
No light bill, Off grid
No water bill, solar well
Live in low over head state, land taxes are only 40 bucks per year.
Raise our own food.
Built our own house.
So all our money goes to toys, fun and Jesus. Not mortgages and credit card payments.
Only thing, no jones here to impress, just deer and elk and the mountains under the stars.
Sounds like a nice dream that will end up being a cult.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

why does it have to be a cult?? honest sincere people can live for god and go off grid .... i have brought all my bills down the last few years for sure. all i owe for is my house now. and trying to hit it hard. going off into nowhere land wont wont for me i pastor a church plus own a construction business..the business i would trade for the wilderness life in a heart beat;; but ministry is my heart and soul //
Old 01-18-2014, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

If does not, bless you.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dordrecht View Post
Sounds like a nice dream that will end up being a cult.
Not trying to argue, just wanting to know your reasoning behind "living a simple life will lead to being a cult"?
Old 01-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygo View Post
We are wanting to meet other Jesus Name apostolic family's who like remote living, or off grid living.
We raise our own, beef, pork, and can. Really simple life, and enjoy doing fun things as a family.
Milk cow, homemade cheese and hunting.
Would like help on solar and wind projects, or ideas.
Most people only feel safe in crowded citys with street lights, we prefer moon light and stars.
No light bill, Off grid
No water bill, solar well
Live in low over head state, land taxes are only 40 bucks per year.
Raise our own food.
Built our own house.
So all our money goes to toys, fun and Jesus. Not mortgages and credit card payments.
Only thing, no jones here to impress, just deer and elk and the mountains under the stars.
Awesome. Although city-bred, Houston, i have been living this life for the last five years or so. i'm currently just finishing a gig as project director for a permaculture startup, Flintopia (it's on FB).

Solar is under $1 a watt now, with new, improved tech coming online daily--can't think of a better investment. Not hard to install. I've built a low-tech wind generator from old farm and car parts, a couple of times, they work well as an augment, but unreliable (so i modified a bicycle to augment the augment). I might be able to help. For electrical generation, i would advise concentrating on the solar, as it is necessarily high-tech, but more reliable, and do wind as a low-tech project--except possibly for some unusual climate areas.

There are also many other ways to extract energy from solar, passive heat capture, etc., that are easy and effective. I'm big on sourcing what i need from junk. Here's a current...well, i was going to say 'tidbit,' but for you more like 'bombshell:'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFw7U7V1Hok

(furnace, engine, welder, ...) Please holler if i may be of any service. My kinda cult
Old 01-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Banned

Ok, and i know where the Church is, too!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Not trying to argue, just wanting to know your reasoning behind "living a simple life will lead to being a cult"?
In communes it usually does.

If you know of any examples where it didn't I like to know about it, there might be exemptions…..
Old 01-19-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dordrecht View Post
In communes it usually does.

If you know of any examples where it didn't I like to know about it, there might be exemptions…..
Just because you live off grid, with a simple life, not depending on government resources, with independence, does not mean that you are a cult, or living in a commune. We know many people in our area who have chosen to live off grid, raise their families, and are thriving actually. It is a hard way of life, no doubt, and not for everyone... but many do it, and love it.

I do know about communes/cults very well, and you are right, when a group of people come together to live off the land, etc, and have everything common, then yes, that community almost always becomes cult-like in its thinking.

However, you can, as a family, live off the land, live simply, and have a wonderful life. If multiple families come together to do this, then I see that possibility becoming a problem, because communism doesn't work... but a single family doing this because they want to would not cause that.