Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-20-2014, 03:02 PM
GET IT RIGHT!

Re: Dolphins fine and suspend DB Don Jones for Twe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy Girl View Post
Pretty much this. You are paid to perform a job, and as long as they are not actually infringing on your religious beliefs, then your religion really has no place on the job.

Which doesn't mean you don't have freedom of choice. If your job is asking you to do something that violates your religious convictions, then you are obviously not right for the job, and need to find another one.

And really, how is saying happy "holy-days" really an affront to your christian sensibilities?
Happy Holidays includes holidays that I don't believe in, agree with, celebrate, practice, embrace, etc. And they are all RELIGIOUS holidays.

Point is, you can't discriminate against ONE religious holiday and allow others to continue to be allowed by lumping them all together under one permissible greeting.

While others have the "freedom of choice" to say Happy Holidays or not, I'm not supposed to say Merry Christmas. Is that so hard to understand? Seriously....

The job itself has NOTHING to do with holidays of any kind. And its well known that a large number of employers now forbid the saying of Merry Christmas.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:26 PM
You used to call me Michlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRev View Post
Happy Holidays includes holidays that I don't believe in, agree with, celebrate, practice, embrace, etc. And they are all RELIGIOUS holidays.

Point is, you can't discriminate against ONE religious holiday and allow others to continue to be allowed by lumping them all together under one permissible greeting.

While others have the "freedom of choice" to say Happy Holidays or not, I'm not supposed to say Merry Christmas. Is that so hard to understand? Seriously....

The job itself has NOTHING to do with holidays of any kind. And its well known that a large number of employers now forbid the saying of Merry Christmas.
I guess it's just not a big deal to me. Now, if someone was trying to get me to not celebrate Christmas that would be an issue. But I guess, I don't walk around at other times of the year saying random "Have a blessed day" or "Jesus loves you", so I use the same discretion at Christmas that I do any other time of the year.

To me the religious observation of Christmas is for Christians to celebrate with other Christians. Whereas there is a secular observation as well (I personally call this "Santa Day" and use that to tease my husband, who is an Atheist).

So I guess I don't really understand, as Merry Christmas is usually only something I say to my close friends or family anyway.

But for the record, I personally wouldn't have a problem with a Jewish person saying "Happy Hanukkah" to me, or an Atheist saying "Happy Santa Day" or Kwanzaa or Ramadan, etc. I take it as them wishing me happiness and a joyful celebration, and I honestly don't understand why people get offended by being told Merry Christmas.
“There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting.”

― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Old 05-22-2014, 12:02 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Parable of the good homosexual? BWAHAHAHAHA!
What is she smoking?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:03 AM
You used to call me Michlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Parable of the good homosexual? BWAHAHAHAHA!
What is she smoking?
Hey, I quit smoking like 9 years ago, remember?

My POINT was, that the Jews considered Samaritians to be heretics, and profane, and basically unclean. They didn't follow the law, they didn't keep themselves separate, etc.

The whole point of the parable was that the righteous jew, and the levite priest ignored the man in need, but it was the dirty sinful Samaritan that had mercy and pity.

If Jesus were here right now, and he wanted to tell the Parable of the Good Samaritan to Modern Day Pharisees, what terminology would he use?

I think it might look something like...First a Fundamentalist Christian, than the Pastor of a Mega Church, and the one that stopped for him might be a gay person. (because who else does the modern conservative christian hold in such distain?)

It was intended to be food for thought, not to necessarily "insert gays into the bible".

Am I the only one that looks at Jesus' Parables and tries to put them into modern situations, because I feel like I get deeper meaning out of them?

Sigh....
“There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting.”

― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Old 05-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

The disdain for Samaritans was because they were half breed quasi Jews.