Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-06-2015, 08:35 AM
Banned

Some standing here

It just seems mighty strange that the preterists think this passage is speaking of the 2nd coming of our Lord Jesus, when not a single one of the living disciples/Apostles mentioned viewing His 2nd coming in any of their writings.

Matt 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Could they have pre-occupied?

Could they have been complacent?

Could they have died, not seeing the 2nd coming, making our Lord a liar?

It would be silly to not mention such an event, being the spiritual founders of the church.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Re: Some standing here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
It just seems mighty strange that the preterists think this passage is speaking of the 2nd coming of our Lord Jesus, when not a single one of the living disciples/Apostles mentioned viewing His 2nd coming in any of their writings.

Matt 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

It would be silly to not mention such an event, being the spiritual founders of the church.
Sean, this presents a bigger problem to you rather than to us.

Please explain your view!

Did Christ lie or did some there see the Coming of the Lord in His kingdom?

You tell us.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Reconcile it in your mind Sean. This is one of the texts that pagans use to try to say that Jesus was a liar.

And they are true, from a dispee point of view.

Jesus spoke truth, but now you must figure out how.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Loren Adkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Nope they did not miss it as a matter of fact they wrote about the coming of God quite frequently, as emanate. So emanate that Paul had to warn people against those that were teaching that it already happened.

I wonder how people would believe in that day and time that Christ second coming had already happened, if it was going to happen like futurist teach?

Yet they did see that day, for it was Christ very teaching of the subject, that saved every Christian living around Jerusalem and Judea when Christ brought his judgement on the disbelieving Jew in 70ad.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Banned

i do get his point though, and that used to bother me, until i saw that it would not appear to witnesses as "Christ's Second Coming," wherein they were naturally looking for Christ to come with a crown. It is easy to compare this lack of knowledge with the similar lack of ability to see Christ among themselves as He walked the earth, or with other occluded beliefs. We certainly have enough testimony of believers' inability to see Christ standing right in front of them.

Last edited by shazeep; 10-06-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Loren Adkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
i do get his point though, and that used to bother me, until i saw that it would not appear to witnesses as "Christ's Second Coming," wherein they were naturally looking for Christ to come with a crown. It is easy to compare this lack of knowledge with the similar lack of ability to see Christ among themselves as He walked the earth, or with other occluded beliefs. We certainly have enough testimony of believers' inability to see Christ standing right in front of them.

Perspective must play a part in the way we read scripture. We seem to get the idea that the majority of the nation rejected Christ. Yet it was the minority (religious leaders) that rejected him. The masses gathered everywhere he went, proven by the fact that thousands gathered to hear him teach. Good grief 8000 were added to the church in the first two days and then daily they added to the church those that would be saved. For the first several years the only ones that were added were Jews. Gentiles were not added until the gospel had first gone to every Jew and even half Jew (the Samaritans) and then and only then did God allow the gospel to go to the Gentiles, and the Gentiles were added to the church they did not replace the church.
These are things dispies fail to recognize, they would have us to believe that the nation as a whole rejected Christ and that the church was and always will be a Gentile church until such a time as all Gentiles have come in. But the fact is, it is quite the opposite.
I don't know dispies must think that God is going to resurrect every Jew that has died in the last 2000 years at a second coming of Christ in order to fulfill the way they read Paul's words in Romans, "all Israel will be saved". Disregarding the fact that there is not one scripture to back that idea up.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Folks quit reading to soon they saw the kingdom in preview in chapter 17. Peter refers to this in his epistle.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:11 PM
NW Acts 2:38 Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Folks quit reading to soon they saw the kingdom in preview in chapter 17. Peter refers to this in his epistle.
Matthew 17:1-13
17 Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, led them up on a high mountain by themselves; 2 and He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light. 3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. 4 Then Peter answered and said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, let us[a] make here three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”

5 While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and suddenly a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!” 6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their faces and were greatly afraid. 7 But Jesus came and touched them and said, “Arise, and do not be afraid.” 8 When they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only.

9 Now as they came down from the mountain, Jesus commanded them, saying, “Tell the vision to no one until the Son of Man is risen from the dead.”

10 And His disciples asked Him, saying, “Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?”

11 Jesus answered and said to them, “Indeed, Elijah is coming first and will restore all things. 12 But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him but did to him whatever they wished. Likewise the Son of Man is also about to suffer at their hands.” 13 Then the disciples understood that He spoke to them of John the Baptist.

2nd Peter 1:16-18
16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
It's amazing to me how you are able to take what would take me several paragraphs to say and put it all into one or two simple but clear sentences.

Thank you, elder.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
It's amazing to me how you are able to take what would take me several paragraphs to say and put it all into one or two simple but clear sentences.

Thank you, elder.

Yes very well said.