Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 PM
www.capitalcommunity.ca

Medium, its not a sin, in fact that will be the marriage supper....with tortillas!
Old 06-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Jerry Moon

I want mine to Mooo..... Rare and dribbling...

Jerry Moon
Old 06-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

I know when my great grandparents came in to the church in the 1930s, they quit eating blood sausage because of that scripture.
(Please don't ask me what it is, I don't know:sshhh)
Old 06-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

Anyone ever wonder why meats offered to idols were forbidden in Acts, but Paul said in 1 Cor 8,10 and Rom 14 that it is fine unless it is done in a pagan temple and before one with a weak conscience?

Quote:
Act 15:29 KJV That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

1Co 8:4-9 KJV As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one. (5) For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) (6) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. (7) Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled. (8) But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse. (9) But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

1Co 10:19-22 KJV What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing? (20) But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils. (21) Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. (22) Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

Rom 14:14-15 KJV I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. (15) But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Medium, its not a sin, in fact that will be the marriage supper....with tortillas!
I'm there!!
Old 06-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Anyone ever wonder why meats offered to idols were forbidden in Acts, but Paul said in 1 Cor 8,10 and Rom 14 that it is fine unless it is done in a pagan temple and before one with a weak conscience?
yes.. now explain..
Old 06-15-2007, 05:48 PM
philjones

Medium Rare is the only proper way to eat a steak. I make it a point NOT to ask if the cow was sacrificed to an idol and I don't consider what I am eating as eating blood! I am just eating a properly prepared steak!
Old 06-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjones View Post
Medium Rare is the only proper way to eat a steak. I make it a point NOT to ask if the cow was sacrificed to an idol and I don't consider what I am eating as eating blood! I am just eating a properly prepared steak!
Old 06-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkeley View Post
yes.. now explain..
Here's my take.

The gentiles were being discussed in Acts 15. And since they came fresh out of gentile culture involving idolatry, they would best be totally away from anything to do with idols... even meats offered to idols. They would invariably be offended if they ate anything offered to an idol. But the Pauline texts about the issue explain with more clarity that meats offered to idols are still only meats, and an idol is nothing in reality. But the weak-conscienced brother, who dabbled in idolatry previous to salvation, would not understand that.

So Paul speaks of it as being an issue of spiritual growth. Meat is innocent in and of itself. Now, such reasoning cannot be applied to fornication and outright sins, obviously.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltiedad View Post
hmmm, context... why does this sound so familiar....
Heheheheheheheeeeeeeee! Troublemaker!