Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-29-2019, 07:42 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: Tongues- A sign or THE sign Of Spirit Infillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
CokSiw,

Thank you for your contribution here. That’s good stuff. It just is.

Not because I necessarily agree with the summation, (I don’t) but because you are using reason and following the logic rather than just relying on sectarian partisanship.

I will read it again and ask a few questions later on... thank you!
Bro, not all speak with tongues is talking about the ministry of tongues and not the initial sign of tongues. Are all Apostles? Are all prophets? All I can say is that this country is doomed. lol

Looks like outpourings will be happening over in Russia and Bosnia. While the "Pentecostals" over here become dryer than a mummy's pocket.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
If tongues are "a" sign, then what, Biblically, are some of the OTHER signs of initially receiving the Holy Ghost?
Tongues like as of fire?

Acts.2

[3] And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Tongues like as of fire?

Acts.2

[3] And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Also, it makes people stand up and preach, lol.

But Peter, taking his stand with the eleven, raised his voice and declared to them: “Men of Judea and all you who live in Jerusalem, let this be known to you and give heed to my words.
Acts 2:14
Old 07-29-2019, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Also, it makes people stand up and preach, lol.

But Peter, taking his stand with the eleven, raised his voice and declared to them: “Men of Judea and all you who live in Jerusalem, let this be known to you and give heed to my words.
Acts 2:14
One preached, but tongues sat upon each of them. Preaching was not necessarily evidence but tongues of fire was, at least initially.

Has anybody ever witnessed this being replicated?

Has anyone ever heard of this being replicated?

Ever?
Old 07-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
One preached, but tongues sat upon each of them. Preaching was not necessarily evidence but tongues of fire was, at least initially.

Has anybody ever witnessed this being replicated?

Has anyone ever heard of this being replicated?

Ever?
I heard once that it happened again somewhere else.

The fact that it is not mentioned again in the book of Acts, and even the Apostles didn’t mention it in the Cornelius case makes it just descriptive, not prescriptive.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
I heard once that it happened again somewhere else.

The fact that it is not mentioned again in the book of Acts, and even the Apostles didn’t mention it in the Cornelius case makes it just descriptive, not prescriptive.
Can you expound on why it is only descriptive if it is mentioned once, but is prescriptive if it is mentioned more than once?

What reason is this based on?

I have heard of it happening (tongues of fire appearing) once.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Can you expound on why it is only descriptive if it is mentioned once, but is prescriptive if it is mentioned more than once?

The Book of Acts is a narrative history genre with a theological nature, aka, theological narrative history.

Let's see Luke's concern and intention with his two-volumes Luke-Acts:

[Luk 1:1-4 NASB] 1 Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things accomplished among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the word, 3 it seemed fitting for me as well, having investigated everything carefully from the beginning, to write [it] out for you in consecutive order, most excellent Theophilus; 4 so that you may know the exact truth about the things you have been taught.

See how the prologue of Acts is dependent on the Gospel of Luke:

[Act 1:1-3 NASB] 1 The first account I composed, Theophilus, about all that Jesus began to do and teach, 2 until the day when He was taken up [to heaven,] after He had by the Holy Spirit given orders to the apostles whom He had chosen. 3 To these He also presented Himself alive after His suffering, by many convincing proofs, appearing to them over [a period of] forty days and speaking of the things concerning the kingdom of God. these He also presented Himself alive after His suffering, by many convincing proofs, appearing to them over [a period of] forty days and speaking of the things concerning the kingdom of God.

They are connected as two-volume work.

See how he starts Acts making the point that Jesus' resurrection was a real deal, with convincing proofs. He was concerned about explaining to Theophilus, who was already a disciple, the truth, as it is, and also in the right order of how they happened, with convincing evidences, so that he may know the exact truth about the things he has been taught. Therefore, when you read Acts, you have to pay attention of how Luke intentionally chooses relevant stories and details to teach a theological truth.

The book was not just a history book recording facts just for the matter of recording. It was purposely written to teach theological truth.

Then, notice how Luke in general, repeats things to make a point; therefore the lack of repetition can be taken as something not prescriptive, e.g., the selling of all your properties and putting them in the feet of the apostles. That is descriptive, not prescriptive, but the sharing of your wealth, as a principle, is repeated in several places.

Last edited by coksiw; 07-29-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Found it brother, in the Azusa Papers by Seymour:

Quote:
Sister Maud Williams who got the blessing in Ontario, Canada and has the gift of tongues, laid her hands on my head and after that I had no more strength in me, although I am physically very strong now. I lay on the floor by the platform in a reclining position. At about half past twelve I asked a brother there and Sister Leatherman to lay their hands on my head again. And just then she says she saw a crown of fire and a cloven tongues over my head. The brother saw a supernatural light. Immediately I was filled with light and such a power that I began to shout as loud as I could in a foreign language.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:56 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
If tongues are "a" sign, then what, Biblically, are some of the OTHER signs of initially receiving the Holy Ghost?
In the OT, prophesying.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

What took place at Pentecost reminds me of the dedication of the temple. Unique signs that were not duplicated later.

Not sure why.