Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 10-03-2018, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Trumps Afghan strategy is working

I do not believe any strategy will ever work long-term for Afghanistan.
However, you probably won't hear much about this, so I thought I would post it here.
link
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...IsT?li=BBnbfcL
snippets
Despite seventeen years of war with no apparent victory in sight for the U.S-led effort, the chief executive of Afghanistan, Abdullah Abdullah, insists that the Trump administration's renewed approach to the stalemate conflict “is working.”

“Imagine a situation without that commitment. Things would be very different. It is working,” he told Fox News in an exclusive interview during last week’s United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York. “They announced a strategy and mobilized other countries and partners in NATO. They doubled the size of our Afghan Commandos, they’ve supported our Air Force -- which is important in the way of Medevacs transporting the injured. These things are going to take time, but it is working.”

Most significantly, Abdullah said, is the Trump team’s “conditions-based” procedure rather than the Obama administration’s “time-based” plan, which entailed a 2014 drawdown and has been widely condemned to have enabled the Taliban to simply regroup and wait.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:15 AM
Banned

Re: Trumps Afghan strategy is working

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
I do not believe any strategy will ever work long-term for Afghanistan.
However, you probably won't hear much about this, so I thought I would post it here.
link
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...IsT?li=BBnbfcL
snippets
Despite seventeen years of war with no apparent victory in sight for the U.S-led effort, the chief executive of Afghanistan, Abdullah Abdullah, insists that the Trump administration's renewed approach to the stalemate conflict “is working.”

“Imagine a situation without that commitment. Things would be very different. It is working,” he told Fox News in an exclusive interview during last week’s United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York. “They announced a strategy and mobilized other countries and partners in NATO. They doubled the size of our Afghan Commandos, they’ve supported our Air Force -- which is important in the way of Medevacs transporting the injured. These things are going to take time, but it is working.”

Most significantly, Abdullah said, is the Trump team’s “conditions-based” procedure rather than the Obama administration’s “time-based” plan, which entailed a 2014 drawdown and has been widely condemned to have enabled the Taliban to simply regroup and wait.
I know I could probably Google this, but what are the primary objectives of the mission? Are we near accomplishing these objectives? Or will this turn into a political hot potato they keep passing back and forth because no one wants to be responsible for what happens when we pull out?
Old 10-03-2018, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I know I could probably Google this, but what are the primary objectives of the mission? Are we near accomplishing these objectives? Or will this turn into a political hot potato they keep passing back and forth because no one wants to be responsible for what happens when we pull out?
Knowing the military, I am sure there are some fancy sounding objectives.
However, I do not believe there is any one that would succeed, short of all of the Afghans converting to Christianity.
And they would still find something to fight about, I am sure.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
Knowing the military, I am sure there are some fancy sounding objectives.
However, I do not believe there is any one that would succeed, short of all of the Afghans converting to Christianity.
And they would still find something to fight about, I am sure.
True.

I don't see any way to measure a "victory" here. When we leave the Taliban will just take over. It's war with no end in sight. Eventually a President is going to have to have the moral resolve to accept that he has to make what will become a rather unpopular decision by pulling troops out.

We killed Bin Laden. I guess that's one good thing to come out of this.

Last edited by Aquila; 10-03-2018 at 12:39 PM.