Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:07 AM
Registered Member

Re: Something I read today....

A couple of theological statements I found while googling to see if I should buy a certain book on the Incarnation:

This first one is on Universalism and the atonement of Christ.

Quote:
My next question relates to the Mediation point. Torrances' 'substances' and Barth's 'actualisation' is an interesting one, relative to incarnation and salvation. Is this why, given Barth's "universal" view of election, that many of his "followers" (for lack of a better term) end up holding to a "universalist" soteriological position? Since for Barth, Jesus is actualised salvation for all, therefore, ipso facto, all humanity is truly "saved" (both objectively and subjectively). If not, then Barth's "actualised" metaphysic flops; and when I say, "if not," I mean if universalism is not the case relative to salvation.
http://derevth.blogspot.com/2008/11/...rrance-is.html

Hmmm....something to think about. I'm not a universalist, not even close but isn't what is written above a logical conclusion of the atonement IF we conclude that the work of the cross is all that is needed without human response? IOW, we need to respond to the atonement. We need to "DO" something in order to acquire the benefits of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. I'm not saying that we "EARN" salvation but that we have to obey the gospel by responding to it in faith, repentance, and the baptisms.

The second quote has to do with Christ. Everything Christ does, God does. This is a direct quote from the book I'm thinking of buying. (I still can't make up my mind whether to buy it or not. I'll have to read a couple more reviews.)

Quote:
"Because Jesus Christ is God, he not only makes God known but what he does is the word of God. his word and deed is the word and deed of God. His love and compassion is the love and compassion of the Father. When he forgives that is the very forgiveness of God. This is likewise a point on which Torrance lays immense stress, the identity between the act of Jesus and the act of the Father. What he does is what God does. Torrance would often say, `There is no God behind the back of Jesus.' In other words, there is no other God than the we see in Jesus and no act of God other than the act of Jesus. The word and act of Jesus and of the Father are identical. The deity of Jesus is therefore the guarantee that the reconciliation we see and receive in him is the reconciliation of God himself."
http://www.amazon.com/Incarnation-Pe...R11V1JUH3241W6
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 11-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
4. “Ask Jesus into your heart”: Although there is nowhere in Scripture that people are commanded to ask Jesus into their heart, this has become the primary means by which Evangelicals believe a person becomes a Christian. Don’t be scared here. Heart surgery, high cholesterol, and cardiovascular exercise (or lack thereof) have no bearing on Christ’s presence in your heart. He does not actually live there. http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blo...chment+and+Pen)
Does Christ actually live in our hearts? I think so. Isn't that what getting filled with the Holy Spirit is.........Christ taking up residence within us?

To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Col 1:27

Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? 2 Cor 13:5

When someone asks Jesus Christ into their hearts, they should expect to speak with other tongues.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear

Last edited by mizpeh; 11-18-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:56 AM
Registered Member

Another quote from the book I am thinking of buying. Beautifully spoken about the passion of God for his creation.
Quote:
"In the incarnate life of Jesus, and above all in his death, God does not execute his judgment on evil simply by smiting it violently away by a stroke of his hand, but by entering into it from within, into the very heart of the blackest evil, and making its sorrow and guilt and suffering his own. And it is because it is God himself who enters in, in order to let the whole of human evil go over him, that his intervention in meekness has violent and explosive force. It is the very power of God. And so the cross with all its incredible meekness and patience and compassion is no deed of passive and beautiful heroism simply, but the most potent and aggressive deed that heaven and earth have ever known: the attack of God's holy love upon the inhumanity of man and the tyrranny of evil, upon all the piled up contradiction of sin."

T F Torrance, Incarnation. The Person and Life of Christ

Old 11-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Have you ever noticed how some people love to pick fights over such unimportant matters? Some may not realize that they are picking fights over minutia, but in reality, that is exactly what they are doing. Some have become so practiced at engaging in battle that it seems normal and satisfactory to them.
No doubt good intentions are the core reason that some engage with such provokingly prickling words, but good intentions don’t make the pecking any easier to take on the receiving side. Like chickens, some choose to peck away at people they love and appreciate — over such little things!
Even Christians. Of all the people who should reject this perplexing pecking problem of engaging in controversial conversation over minuscule issues, it should be Christians. Not that we are perfect, but that we should be attempting to understand the grace of God in such a way that we follow the advice given to us in the Bible. Love your brother and sister. Encourage them. Let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another — all the more as you see the Day drawing near. (Heb. 10:24-25) We aren’t to segregate ourselves to avoid conflict and hurtful words. We are to meet with the body of Christ – interact with them – learn from each other – uplift each other. Kindly. Rationally. Lovingly......http://fromthebalcony.wordpress.com/.../10/the-mouth/

James 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

I've been groaning for the past 6 days when I start my daily bible reading! I've had to read two chapters from 1 Chronicles every day!! Torture!!! So I click on the button that allows Alexander Scourby to read the lists to me as I read along and learn the correct pronounciations. What is the purpose of these lists, I wonder? I happened upon this blog today and learned one man's thoughts on the purpose of the lists in 1 Chronicles:

Quote:
Three Questions with Gerald Bray: On Three Questions to Ask of Biblical Texts......

What are the questions we should ask when approaching a passage of Scripture?

The first question we must ask of every biblical text is simply this—what does it tell us about God? What does it say about who he is and about what he does?

The second question is: what does this text say about us human beings? What are we meant to be and what has gone wrong?

The third and final question is: what has God done about this and what does he expect of us in the light of what he has done?

Asking these questions and seeking answers to them will help us interpret the Spirit’s message to Christ’s people and to each of us as individuals.

What about sections of Scripture that seem hard to apply? I’m thinking, for example, of the genealogies of 1 Chronicles.

These genealogies bring us a message from God even if they appear on the surface to be barren and unprofitable. All we have to do in order to understand them is to ask the right questions about them and their meaning will be quickly opened up to us.

Let me ask you, then, to answer the three questions you posed above. What do they teach us about God?

They tell us that he is a faithful God, who keeps his covenant from one generation to another. Whoever we are and however far we may be from the source of our human life in Adam, we are part of his plan. Over the centuries we may have developed in different ways, lost contact with one another and even turned on each other in hostility, but in spite of all that we are still related to one another and interconnected in ways that may go beyond our immediate understanding or experience.

What do they tell us about ourselves?

They say that most of us are nobodies from the world’s point of view. We live and die in a long chain of humanity but there is not much that anyone will remember of us as individuals. At the same time, without us, future generations will not be born and the legacy of the past will not be preserved. We are part of a great cloud of witnesses, a long chain of faithful people who have lived for God in the place where he put them. Even if we know little about them we owe them a great debt of gratitude for their loyalty and perseverance when they had little or nothing to gain from it or to show for it.

What do they tell us about God’s dealings with us?

They tell us that we too are called to be obedient and to keep the faith we have inherited, passing it on undiminished to the next generation. They tell us that there is a purpose in our calling that goes beyond ourselves. Even if we are not glorified and leave little for posterity to remember us by, we shall nevertheless have made an indispensable contribution to the purposes of God in human history.
http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/...een+Two+Worlds)

Thank you, Lord, for 1 Chronicles. Please forgive my groaning!

Last edited by mizpeh; 11-18-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
I've been groaning for the past 6 days when I start my daily bible reading! I've had to read two chapters from 1 Chronicles every day!! Torture!!! So I click on the button that allows Alexander Scourby to read the lists to me as I read along and learn the correct pronounciations. What is the purpose of these lists, I wonder? I happened upon this blog today and learned one man's thoughts on the purpose of the lists in 1 Chronicles:

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/...een+Two+Worlds)

Thank you, Lord, for 1 Chronicles. Please forgive my groaning!
Thank you, Mizpeh!! I'm not at Chronicles yet, but I was honestly dreading it!! Forgive me, Lord!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
I felt something similar as I looked out of the 7th floor window of my doctor's office today. The large city park was before me and the leaves on the trees were beautifully full of color, all the shades of autumn. My thoughts were drawn to God again as I drove home down my tree-lined street. (We had a late autumn which followed a late summer this year. I'm hoping winter will be scratched and we'll go right into spring! )
I meant to comment on this the day you posted it. Such a wonderful poetic post!! I didn't know if you wanted us to clutter your blogging with additional comments! LOL! Enjoyed it, Mizpeh!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Thank you, Mizpeh!! I'm not at Chronicles yet, but I was honestly dreading it!! Forgive me, Lord!!!
LOL!! I read the Bible online so I can look up other translations or read a commentary if I run across something curious (happens alot). I go to Studylight.com and that is where you can listen to Alexander Scourby's voice as he reads the Bible. I only use it for lists because he reads to fast for me when I want to think about what I'm reading.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I meant to comment on this the day you posted it. Such a wonderful poetic post!! I didn't know if you wanted us to clutter your blogging with additional comments! LOL! Enjoyed it, Mizpeh!!!
Comment all you want!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
LOL!! I read the Bible online so I can look up other translations or read a commentary if I run across something curious (happens alot). I go to Studylight.com and that is where you can listen to Alexander Scourby's voice as he reads the Bible. I only use it for lists because he reads to fast for me when I want to think about what I'm reading.
Thanks, I will utilize that when I get to the lists!! LOL!