Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-27-2019, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Re: Tongues- A sign or THE sign Of Spirit Infillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
I am not sure this matters...

There are Christians that are less conscientious than Cornelius was prior to becoming a Christian. That’s not commendable, but true nevertheless.

Cornelius was lacking in that he had NOT heard and fully accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ. When he heard and accepted he was no longer lacking.

A closer look into your statement here: “no longer lacking”: And how/when did he cease from “lacking”:

Acts 10:34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.

This is Peters enlightenment that God accepts ALL those who fear him and do right, to receive His salvational gospel.

So the question is, when in Acts 10 did Cornelius receive the new birth experience spoken of by Jesus to Nicodemus, in John 3?

( Acts 11:15...Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. 14 He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.

So then, Peter spoke words that would save Cornelius and all his house.
And Cornelius was born again.

So the 2 questions I must answer are :

What all were Peters words of salvation?
What happened that Cornelius was born again?

Last edited by JamesGlen; 07-27-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:30 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGlen View Post
A closer look into your statement here: “no longer lacking”: And how/when did he cease from “lacking”:

Acts 10:34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.

This is Peters enlightenment that God accepts ALL those who fear him and do right, to receive His salvational gospel.

So the question is, when in Acts 10 did Cornelius receive the new birth experience spoken of by Jesus to Nicodemus, in John 3?

( Acts 11:15...Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. 14 He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.

So then, Peter spoke words that would save Cornelius and all his house.
And Cornelius was born again.

So the 2 questions I must answer are :

What all were Peters words of salvation?
What happened that Cornelius was born again?
When in Acts 10... ?

I think a better question may be WHY in Acts 10...

And the he answer should be, Because Cornelius received the Gospel of Jesus and was filled with the Holy Ghost. He became a Christian and confessed the truth of Jesus Christ - how he being a perfect man had died and was resurrected on our behalf.

Naturally - it also included the things that new Christian do - Namely water baptism and establishing full identity with the body of Christ.

In this case Cornelius even miraculously spoke in tongues.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves

Last edited by Hoovie; 07-27-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
When in Acts 10... ?

I think a better is WHY in Acts 10...

And the he answer should be, Because Cornelius received the Gospel of Jesus and was filled with the Holy Ghost. He became a Christian and confessed the truth of Jesus Christ - how he being a perfect man had died and was resurrected on our behalf.

Naturally - it also included the things that new Christian do - Namely water baptism and establishing full identity with the body of Christ.

In this case Cornelius even miraculously spoke in tongues.
Is there any case where someone received and any other sign followed?
Old 07-27-2019, 01:38 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

I have a question for those who affirm, not just speaking in tongues, but believe speaking tongues is the only sign that one is a Christian...

When or if, you hear someone who you believe to be “Speaking in Tongues” do you summarily conclude that they then have the Holy Ghost indwelling?

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 07-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a question for those who affirm, not just speaking in tongues, but believe speaking tongues is the only sign that one is a Christian...

When or if, you hear someone who you believe to be “Speaking in Tongues” do you summarily conclude that they then have the Holy Ghost indwelling?

I am unsure, I am trying to get my answers from what I read in the Bible.

Do you believe tongues were present in Acts 8?
Old 07-27-2019, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

It is the initial evidence. Not proof. All who receive the Holy Ghost WILL speak in tongues. However, I’ve heard enough devil possessed people speak in tongues to know that not all “tongues” come from the Holy Ghost.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
It is the initial evidence. Not proof. All who receive the Holy Ghost WILL speak in tongues. However, I’ve heard enough devil possessed people speak in tongues to know that not all “tongues” come from the Holy Ghost.
Very good.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Why do we Pentecostals try, (or even feel we NEED to try) what we deem as “praying people through to the Holyghost evidenced by tongues”, when that is not the way things happened in the book of Acts?
Old 07-27-2019, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Last week I was at a national bible quiz competition and the dad was praying w his wife and daughters between quizzes, and he was making a very long consistent “d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d” sound with his tongue while praying.
Is that speaking in tongues? If not what exactly is it?
Old 07-27-2019, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
In your opinion any way....and I respect that.

It does however seem odd to me that a Paul would make a statement : “All do not speak in tongues”, at the risk of VERY POSSIBLY being misunderstood, when/if it was to be such an extreme thing as a heaven or hell issue of being born again.

Last edited by JamesGlen; 07-27-2019 at 10:51 PM.