Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Re: Marty Ballestero doesn't LIKE facial hair on m

It's nice that MissB focuses her passion on something other than UPC bashers for a change. Except...wait for it...Ballestero bashes the UPC in his blog. Perhaps that's why she is so riled.

Truth is, this is just one of dozens of issues that are nothing more than personal preferences. So long as the UPC holds to those issues MissB will marginalize anyone who speaks negatively about those who preach them. The moment the UPC lets them go it's open season on anyone who maintains those same positions.

Color me unimpressed. Save your rage for more more important issues.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charnock View Post

Color me unimpressed. Save your rage for more more important issues.
"Rage"? You must be reading different posts than I read. I think you have hurt the credibility of your post by this overreaction.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 06-02-2014, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxanne Murphy View Post
I can give names of current licensed and ordained UPC preachers who believe and preach this same stuff. And while they will tell you the Bible doesn't actually speak negatively about facial hair on men, they still say it is associated with rebellion, worldliness, and thus a focus for 'true apostolic preachers' to keep worldliness out of the church.
My old pastor called a trimmed beard a "trimmed up spirit of rebellion"! That was many years ago.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 06-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Men With Facial Hair:

Old 06-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Truth is, this is just one of dozens of issues that are nothing more than personal preferences.
What? Are you kidding? Personal issue? Beards are always in a positive light in the Bible with nothing negative. It IS considered a SIN in the OT if one cuts their beard.

If "Apostolics" can preach its a sin for women to wear pants based on Duet. 22:5 why would it not be a sin to cut ones beard based on Leviticus 19:27?

Its been TOTAL HYPOCRISY for decades now and caused many to stumble.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Now and then you hear about Oneness groups that are ok with beards. Usually turns out as long as you stay off the "platform".
the reason for that often is because they don't want grief from the other Oneness churches over it

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
the reason for that often is because they don't want grief from the other Oneness churches over it
True they are men pleasers.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charnock View Post
It's nice that MissB focuses her passion on something other than UPC bashers for a change. Except...wait for it...Ballestero bashes the UPC in his blog. Perhaps that's why she is so riled. Truth is, this is just one of dozens of issues that are nothing more than personal preferences. So long as the UPC holds to those issues MissB will marginalize anyone who speaks negatively about those who preach them. The moment the UPC lets them go it's open season on anyone who maintains those same positions. Color me unimpressed. Save your rage for more more important issues.
Oh, Charnock. You are trying too hard.

Two things you should know:

1. I don't know if Martyn Ballestero is licensed with the UPC or not--or whether or not he used to be.
2. I didn't see where he attacked the UPC in the facial hair blog post and therefore that could not have possibly been the catalyst for my response. If he attacked the UPC elsewhere in his blog, I wouldn't know. I'm not a regular follower of his blog. He's not my type.

You obviously aren't interested in the truth, or you wouldn't keep making up motives to insert behind my posts.

I will continue to post on the things that interest me, and ignore the things that bore me, with or without your approval. The issues that are "important" to me may not be the same ones that you find titillating. Nevertheless, I don't need your permission to be concerned about one thing and entirely unconcerned with another. Further, I can assure you that nothing in my post was intended to impress you in particular. I posted because I had an opinion, and because I had the time to post it.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road

Last edited by MissBrattified; 06-02-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
Oh, Charnock. You are trying too hard.

Two things you should know:

1. I don't know if Martyn Ballestero is licensed with the UPC or not--or whether or not he used to be.
2. I didn't see where he attacked the UPC in the facial hair blog post and therefore that could not have possibly been the catalyst for my response. If he attacked the UPC elsewhere in his blog, I wouldn't know. I'm not a regular follower of his blog. He's not my type.

You obviously aren't interested in the truth, or you wouldn't keep making up motives to insert behind my posts.

I will continue to post on the things that interest me, and ignore the things that bore me, with or without your approval. The issues that are "important" to me may not be the same ones that you find titillating. Nevertheless, I don't need your permission to be concerned about one thing and entirely unconcerned with another. Further, I can assure you that nothing in my post was intended to impress you in particular. I posted because I had an opinion, and because I had the time to post it.
MsB, I just loved your response, I will probably copy it for some future use.
Sorry for stealing your words, but I am a lazy preacher, and even if I wasn't I do not think I could not created such a well crafted response like yours.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post
MsB, I just loved your response, I will probably copy it for some future use. Sorry for stealing your words, but I am a lazy preacher, and even if I wasn't I do not think I could not created such a well crafted response like yours.
Thanks, FZw. Feel free to copy and paste whatever you like. I wasn't even sure if anyone would make it through the entire thing, since it was so long (and that was after I removed a couple of paragraphs and split the post in half. LOL).

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road