Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters > Islamic Issues and News
Facebook

Notices

Islamic Issues and News Discuss Islam and report on current issues regarding Islam

Old 02-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Banned

What exactly is Sufi Islam?

How is Sufi Islam different from Shia and Sunni Islam?
Old 02-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Re: What exactly is Sufi Islam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I don't care, one way or the other.
Why would any Christian care?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

I think one is peaceful and the other is like Achmed the dead terrorist..

Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I'm not sure. Aren't the Sufis the ones who stick stuff through their face and bodies? I don't think the Shia and Sunni muslims do that.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Banned

I remember reading something that stated that the Sufis actually embrace the more spiritual teachings of Mohammed, where as the Shia and the Sunnis are more focused on externals.

For example, the Hajj is a required pilgrimage to Mecca. When a certain Sufi was questioned as to if he had fulfilled the obligation of the Hajj, he explained that yes, he had attended and walked a thousand miles... without even leaving his room. He taught that it's all more about the heart's disposition and placement... not the actual physical pilgrimage. One could go on Hajj and their hearts be far far from worship. Or... one could not embark on the Hajj... but their hearts be focused on Allah.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

First why should a Christian care?
The fastest growing religion in the world is Islam. The variations with Islam are as varied as what we generically could call the Christian world.
The great fact is as oneness Pentecostals we have a message Islamic people will listen to especially if you witness to them one on one in a non-threatening way.

Case in point while witnessing to an Sunni Muslim from Turkmenistan talking very generally about the Bible the young woman looked at me and said I spoke beautiful Russian. I do not speak Russian but God had spoke to this young woman in her native tongue for 30 minutes.
The case is this Shiite is at the radical end of the spectrum.

Sunni is the moderate in the world of Islam.
When witnessing and praying just remember if your yielded to the Holy Ghost the Holy Ghost can work.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Sufism is actually the theosophic form of Islam which includes glossolalia; it is rejected by most of the rest of Islamists, Sunna, Shi'ite or the radical Whabbia. It was one of the reasons I left charismatism after my lifelong stent because their tongues are frighteningly similar in induction, tone, timber, pitch and intonation as all so-called Pentecostals. Pardon me for resurrecting an old thread.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Go Dodgers!

Sufi are the peace loving Pentecostals of Islam

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strict Baptist View Post
Sufism is actually the theosophic form of Islam which includes glossolalia; it is rejected by most of the rest of Islamists, Sunna, Shi'ite or the radical Whabbia. It was one of the reasons I left charismatism after my lifelong stent because their tongues are frighteningly similar in induction, tone, timber, pitch and intonation as all so-called Pentecostals. Pardon me for resurrecting an old thread.
Sufi don't speak in tongues

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Is...s_Christianity

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
"When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. Utterly amazed, they asked: `Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language?... We hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!'"

Neither do you. ^^ (above) is the miracle of "tongues" as outlined in your book. This is not what you do or what you experience.

The other references to tongues not only describe other tongues but describe what is said. Such as "for they heard them speaking in tongues and magnifying God" in Acts 10.

I believe the term for what you do is "glossolalia" which really pales to and is not the same as what is described to be a real unusual event (Acts 2) - one that I don't believe has ever been repeated in any of your lifetimes.

Unless you have a specific example. Otherwise you completely ostracize people until they blah blah blah for a few minutes and join your club.

Sorry dude, that's how I see it. Maybe i'm wrong but that's what it looks, smells, and sounds like.