Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
charismatic, salvation, titles

Old 03-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

Question Are "Jackpot" Apostolics Saved?

I have a simple question for this congregation, and I'd like to get your input and hopefully stimulate some thoughtful, biblical answers.

Are "Jackpot" Apostolics Saved?

I know, I know, I hear you saying, "What is that supposed to mean? NO! NO, NO!!! NO GAMBLING IN THE CHURCH, BROTHER!" Actually, I know some kids who got in trouble for playing poker after service and... Never mind, I digress...

So, let me clarify my question with a hypothetical story:

There is a man who we'll just call Ichabod McPhilistine, ok? Ichabod goes to this church that's kinda' like an ecumenical charismatic deal. Sometimes they baptize in trinity, sometimes in The Name, sometimes in two titles, sometimes one title and The Name, sometimes not at all, sometimes they tell people they can just pray the sinners prayer. So Ichabod finds himself at an alter one day, and repents as they call for those that would like to join the baptism today. It just so happens to be a day when they've decided to use the titles and The Name. Ichabod is baptized, he's filled with the Holy Ghost, his life turns around. "Jackpot!" one might say, he's saved, "He's won the lottery", couch it how you will, he got baptized on the right day out of sheer probability perhaps. Mind you skeptics, remember, he did have The Name of Jesus called over him in baptism in my story.

So, is Ichabod saved? Is he not? If not, why?

What would Jesus say?

I'll tell you my answer later, but I want to hear yours for now.

@Peace with it all.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 PM
crakjak

Re: Are "Jackpot" Apostolics Saved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Peace View Post
I have a simple question for this congregation, and I'd like to get your input and hopefully stimulate some thoughtful, biblical answers.

I know, I know, I hear you saying, "What is that supposed to mean? NO! NO, NO!!! NO GAMBLING IN THE CHURCH, BROTHER!" Actually, I know some kids who got in trouble for playing poker after service and... Never mind, I digress...

There is a man who we'll just call Ichabod McPhilistine, ok? Ichabod goes to this church that's kinda' like an ecumenical charismatic deal. Sometimes they baptize in trinity, sometimes in The Name, sometimes in two titles, sometimes one title and The Name, sometimes not at all, sometimes they tell people they can just pray the sinners prayer. So Ichabod finds himself at an alter one day, and repents as they call for those that would like to join the baptism today. It just so happens to be a day when they've decided to use the titles and The Name. Ichabod is baptized, he's filled with the Holy Ghost, his life turns around. "Jackpot!" one might say, he's saved, "He's won the lottery", couch it how you will, he got baptized on the right day out of sheer probability perhaps. Mind you skeptics, remember, he did have The Name of Jesus called over him in baptism in my story.

What would Jesus say?

@Peace with it all.
Was Jesus preached, did he believe in the saving Name of the Lord? If so, yes he is born again.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 03-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakjak View Post
Was Jesus preached, did he believe in the saving Name of the Lord? If so, yes he is born again.
Then you believe you may have brothers and sisters who aren't in some Apostolic Directory?! A radical!

Can you imagine, Apostolics what don't know they are ones. I'll be.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Crazy father of 4

Location: Now? Phoenix, AZ. Before? Newark, OH, Wyandotte, MI, Tampa, FL

I have a friend who happens to be baptized in both titles and the name of Jesus. Both were applied at his baptism, just seems to be how they do it. Grant it they use that same formula everytime.
My opinion on his baptism? Yes he is saved. Besides repentence and baptism he was also filled with the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues as the Spirit gave him utterence. Now your little friend Ichabod may have stumbled into the 'right' service and had the name applied but because of their unstable ways and not having further information I would have to say he was okay just off of what info you supplied but I would personally have doubts about it. But thankfully I am not God.

I'll get back to you when I figure it out.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

What would Jesus say?

@Peace with it all.

Ichabod is saved!!!! (as long as the pastor had his dues paid up to any apostolic organisation). The mans heart has nothing to do with it, only what the dipper says is what counts! ARE YOU SERIOUS? IS NOT THIS A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:03 PM
crakjak

Quote:
Then you believe you may have brothers and sisters who aren't in some Apostolic Directory?! A radical!

Can you imagine, Apostolics what don't know they are ones. I'll be.
I don't even believe you have to be "apostolic" to be saved! What do you say about that? lol
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

This really is an interesting question, and one I've been pondering.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Registered Member

I would say that to put the name of JESUS said in baptism at the same level of some "incantation" is not sufficient to save anyone. I would say Icabod would need to have the understanding of JESUS' name baptism, or a very basic understanding of the oneness of GOD. If he is baptized in JESUS' name, and the next day he's asked, "What does your church believe?" and he answers; "Well, you know, the basics, the trinity, JESUS dying for our sins, being born again, ect..." Then something VERY important is missing here. I'll post later on today when I have more free time, but so far those are my thoughts in 5 minutes...

-Bro. Alex
Old 03-06-2009, 06:20 AM
Registered Member

Any one who is baptized in Jesus name and then comes up out of the water being filled by our God is saved,he is a new born baby with a empty mind of the things of God and needs to be taught and I believe if God has a mind to fill him with his spirit then God has a mind to teach him!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

If your "jackpot christian" has been born again then he has this promise from scripture.

Romans 8:27
27And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?