Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Welcome Mat
Facebook

Notices

The Welcome Mat Welcoming New Members! Are you new to AFF? Here's a forum where you can report in and introduce yourself!

Old 07-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

Post Serious question

My grandfather is 90 years old and dying, and he is suffering and in agony from bed sores. now my question is, will i go to hell for wanting god to call him home so he will quit suffering? i have prayed and asked god to end his suffering, now im wondering if it could cause me to go to hell?
Old 07-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

I have another question

The apostolic church i attend literally obeys Mark 16:18, Yes we handle serpents. Other apostolic and UPC Churches hold us up for ridicule and and one says we will go to hell for handling snakes. We do preach the truth we baptise according to Acts 2:38 and teach living holy and to pursue godliness. my pastor told me that it is not required to handle a snake to be a part of the church nor is it a part of salvation, it is only an act of faith and a demonstration that you believe in the name of jesus. my foot was broken a couple of years ago and was healed the next at church while they were shouting and dancing with snakes.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Re: Serious question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_1618 View Post
My grandfather is 90 years old and dying, and he is suffering and in agony from bed sores. now my question is, will i go to hell for wanting god to call him home so he will quit suffering? i have prayed and asked god to end his suffering, now im wondering if it could cause me to go to hell?
All healing this side of death or the rapture is temporary.
One of the ways God heals is to call His child out of this frail robe of flesh to a place where there is no more pain and suffering.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Go Dodgers!

I don't think so

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Sister Alvear

I've got the chills just thinking about snakes....

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 07-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Administrator

No. It's very painful to watch a loved one suffer. I see nothing at all wrong with asking God to end your grandfather's suffering sooner rather than later.

The snake handling should be a different thread.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Sister Alvear

My mother was so sick with horrible bed sores even though I did not want her to die I still did not want to see her suffering...I do not think you sinned at all...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 07-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Banned

Re: I have another question

Quote:
my foot was broken a couple of years ago and was healed the next at church while they were shouting and dancing with snakes.
If I were in church with a broken foot and they started handling snakes you'd see the fastest one footed hopper on the planet.

And no, praying for your grandfather to be taken out of his misery will not send you to hell.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 AM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
Mark,
When I was young I just could not imagine losing my grandparents or my parents to death.

As the years went by and I matured, it seemed that God would let us see our loved ones suffer JUST LONG ENOUGH FOR US TO GET WILLING TO SAY, "LORD, THY WILL BE DONE". Could it be that many times our sick loved ones who have suffered much, long to go home, but we just won't let go! God is so merciful, I feel, to give us a bit more time with them, to help us get willing to let go and even, many times to say goodbye. Now the sudden death is what is SO very hard. When without warning a loved one is taken away. We have experienced both.
It seems in essence, Mark, that you have become willing to let go! Let go and let GOD!! A merciful GOD may be just waiting for us to let go. Doesn't seem to be any reason to be concerned about hell in that!

Falla39
Old 07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Let me say this. You are my brother! (snakes or no snakes) And no i do not see how wishing an end to your grandfather's suffering is a sin. Do you live here in WV?
I don't believe you have a correct interpretation of the scripture pertaining to the handling of serpents. I believe that is a sign that follows believers in certain situations. But i have never seen anywhere in the scripture where someone used snakes in a worship service. I'm glad that you don't see this as a salvation issue. As long as you believe Acts 2:38 salvation and are filled with the Holy Ghost speaking in tongues and believe in the way of holiness then you are my brother.