Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-02-2019, 01:16 PM
Master ThreadKiller

Re: Re-Baptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
I believe when genuine repentance is evident they are ready for baptism. Honestly, I think most Pentecostal churches are too quick to baptize adults.
Hear, hear!

Instead of google, use www.yandex.com

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Old 07-02-2019, 07:31 PM
Administrator

If the fellow in the OP genuinely received the Holy Spirit before he was immersed, then there is no reason for him to be rebaptized. God granted him repentance (else he would not have been given the Holy Spirit) meaning he understood the Gospel sufficiently to know his need to be saved. So unless something else was amiss about the actual baptism, or he didn't actually receive the Holy Spirit back then, he shouldn't do it, for the Biblical reasons Esaias stipulated above.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 07-02-2019, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
I believe when genuine repentance is evident they are ready for baptism. Honestly, I think most Pentecostal churches are too quick to baptize adults.
Not in the church family here. You are a soteriological scholar before you get baptized.
ALL pastors are hindrances and one should never have a pastor they will only abuse you and you will get hurt. Instead get your instructions from forum gurus that have never built a church.~Steve Epley.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Re-baptism is a sticky topic to tackle, as are many things when you get a lot of Apostolics involved.

I know my Pastor doesn't preach nor believe that re-baptism is necessary after a backslider has returned to their faith, but I have known him to officiate it on occasion. There have been instances where a husband and wife and their three daughters repaired their family and came back to church. After considerable prayer and counseling, the parents decided they all should be re-baptized to symbolize, I'm guessing, their rededication to the Lord and His purpose for their lives.

A similar situation occurred when another man that floated in and out of our church --- taking his wife and two young daughters on a roller coaster ride, spiritually speaking --- got back into the swing of things earlier this year. I remember him testifying how before he had played games with the Lord and didn't genuinely mean repentance in his heart when he had asked before it prior. He discussed these feelings with my Pastors, and after prayer, he was eventually re-baptized.

In the case of my first example, this family has once more fell out of church. The parents have long separated; the mother and the three girls ventured back briefly, but the father has only visited our fall festivals and fellowship meetings to pick up his daughters during their brief return. As for the other man, however, he is on fire for God. His walk has grew immensely, and many of us feel that perhaps, one day, the Lord will call him to pastor. Who knows?

In getting to the question of re-baptism itself, I don't believe that it is necessary, and even if you think that it is, there isn't any scripture to back that theory. I won't say that it shouldn't be practiced under any circumstances, but I'd also be weary that people might get the impression that they could float in and out of church and fall back on baptism as their "get saved quick" card.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

In the case mentioned in this thread, It seems it is dealing with a man's conscience and understanding. He was a child with maybe little or no understanding of the events and now he is an adult with a conscience issue. It's not taking the Lord's name in vain as some may say and probably not a "get saved quick" card. The man desires a pure conscience toward God and he may understand that is what re-baptism will produce for him.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
In the case mentioned in this thread, It seems it is dealing with a man's conscience and understanding. He was a child with maybe little or no understanding of the events and now he is an adult with a conscience issue. It's not taking the Lord's name in vain as some may say and probably not a "get saved quick" card. The man desires a pure conscience toward God and he may understand that is what re-baptism will produce for him.
I agree. If the man being discussed here wonders if he were too young to fully understand the purpose of his prior baptism, then his re-dedication to Christ could certainly involve being baptized once more.

It's just something I, for one, would be careful with.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Personally, I don't think it's a matter of soothing one's conscience. It's about what still needs to be obeyed versus what has already been obeyed and never needs to be done again.

Consciences are fickle and subjective.

I work with someone who told me they've been baptized seven times, including once at a UPCI church in the name of Jesus.

At what point is enough, enough?

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 07-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
I work with someone who told me they've been baptized seven times, including once at a UPCI church in the name of Jesus.

At what point is enough, enough?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by votivesoul

At what point is enough, enough?[/QUOTE]

I would say as many times as it took to get the right one at a UPCI church is the name of Jesus. It wasn't enough until then.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
In that He died, He died to sin ONCE.

Repenting after backsliding means you return to honouring your baptism. Otherwise it's like saying you took the Lord's name in vain. Repenting of that means honouring the vows you took., not making new ones.

A man who cheats on his wife, if he repents, doesn't remarry his wife. That would be a repudiation of his original marriage! Instead, he honours the vows he originally made.

This assumes his original dunking was a valid baptism to begin with.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear