Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 PM

Family prayer

Something I desire to better myself at, is praying with my wife and children at home. Sometimes during the week we will have family prayer, consisting of each person giving multiple prayer requests, and then praying for them. Then usually some discussion.

Less often tho, comes prayer individually with eachother. Some bedtime prayers. Dinner table prayer. But I would like to become more comfortable with "one to one" prayer with my wife and kids. I want it to become a regular daily thing that we each become accustomed to and even desire. I very much believe that it can tear down many walls, and help build a closeness and a very peaceful home(among other things).

That said, I'm open to ideas of how some may make prayer together happen regularly with spouse and kids, individually. Not even so much of am major prayer intercession, but mostly a rap my arms around him/her, and say a prayer ofencouragement or whatever comes to mind...

Maybe it's as simple as just start Doing it- lol.

(My wife homeschools our kids, and they generally start the day in prayer, afterthe which I have prayed alone and am already generally gone to work, so my prayer time with them cannot happen till the evening.)

Thoughts? Ideas? Anybody mastered this area of expertise?
Husbands and wives prayer together...
Parent /child prayer together...

Talk to me....

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Old 12-01-2011, 04:08 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Re: Family prayer

I am sure it was much easier in biblical times, when Dad's didn't have to rush off to work, and moms just sat around the house all day, right?

18Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes.

19And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

20And thou shalt write them upon the door posts of thine house, and upon thy gates: Deuteronomy 11:18-20 KJV

IMO, prayers don't have to be long or carefully worded, but families should have prayer time together.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Banned

The issue is that in our culture we have unknowingly and unintentionally divorced the home from being the center of spiritual life. Instead... we are a religion of the sanctuary. We attend a "service" in a "church building" and it is this that becomes our primary spiritual focus. I think it's a subconscious thing, we don't mean to do it but we do. We feel comfortable praying at church during services and prayer meetings... but then gathering the family around the Bible, having family prayer and Bible study feels "awkward". The truth of the matter is that the family is meant to be the foundational institution of the church... not a non-profit organization in some illustrious building. We need to turn our hearts towards home. Towards the fathers in our homes. We need to restor biblical fatherhood and bring the family back into the arms of dads who pray with the family and leads the family is the study of God's Word. This is a vision of the house church movement, and many feel it is something dear to the heart of God.

Now... as for our families in the now. Just do it. You have to CENTER your family's faith in the home. Sure, attend church... but bring the focus home. You are the high priest of your family.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
The issue is that in our culture we have unknowingly and unintentionally divorced the home from being the center of spiritual life. Instead... we are a religion of the sanctuary. We attend a "service" in a "church building" and it is this that becomes our primary spiritual focus. I think it's a subconscious thing, we don't mean to do it but we do. We feel comfortable praying at church during services and prayer meetings... but then gathering the family around the Bible, having family prayer and Bible study feels "awkward". The truth of the matter is that the family is meant to be the foundational institution of the church... not a non-profit organization in some illustrious building. We need to turn our hearts towards home. Towards the fathers in our homes. We need to restor biblical fatherhood and bring the family back into the arms of dads who pray with the family and leads the family is the study of God's Word. This is a vision of the house church movement, and many feel it is something dear to the heart of God.

Now... as for our families in the now. Just do it. You have to CENTER your family's faith in the home. Sure, attend church... but bring the focus home. You are the high priest of your family.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post

It all starts at home...

Last edited by Dagwood; 12-01-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 12-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

I have to agree. My family often tried, but never really got the hang of doing it. I do believe that it is a necessity that is not stressed enough anymore.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.