Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Obituaries
Facebook

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 AM
Christmas 2009

Bro. Wayne Chester's Death

Bro. Wayne Chester, who everyone in the TN District knows and loved, passed away yesterday evening peacefully. I can truly say he was a man of integrity and character. He was also a lot of fun - he used to be a basketball coach for years before he became a pastor, and he always loved sports. He served as District Secretary and District Superintendent, and I have never heard one person say anything negative about him or his sweet wife. They were so much fun at the camps - he always helped make homemade cinnamon rolls at the youth camps and family camps, and he was famous for those!
After we left UPC (21 years ago), many people short of shunned us for a while, not understanding what we did. But the Chesters were always so kind and sweet, and loved us through all the years. The last time I saw them, they hugged us and told us they loved us.
If I could sum Bro. Chester up in two words, it would be "Christian Gentleman". We will all miss him!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Re: Bro. Wayne Chester's Death

My family knew Bro. Chester very well and spent a lot of time with him and Sis. Carolyn through the years. Very tall in stature - both physically and example. He will be missed.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Always bittersweet to lose those great men of God. The sweet part is knowing they have gone on to their reward and are rejoicing on the streets of glory!
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

I first met Wayne Chester around 1962 at WABC in Stockton, CA where he had come to be a student-teacher. Our dorm was a ways from the rest and Brother Chester came and roomed with us but it did not last because he returned [Christmas time I believe] to Tennessee and brought back a prettier roommate than any of us could ever be. He made a great choice when he married Carolyn and they were a great team. Always friendly, always gentle, always Christians. He worked part time at the YMCA downtown at night and some of us boys would head there after work at the glass plant and he would let us in to swim in the big indoor pool late at night. Wayne Chester left us all with a lot of great memories and he will be missed. Our prayers go out to his family!