Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

Re: To Beard or Not to Beard, That is The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Burk View Post
My wife went to JCM in the early 1980s. During one class, her teacher told the music students how to make changes to the music program of a church where they were recently hired as the music minister. He told them that changes must come, but they need to be made slowly.

Because of my ministry experiences, I've known pastors who wanted to change their teachings on eschatology. Some of those men asked my opinion on how to do that without hurting their congregation. I suggested they do the same thing they do every service--just teach what the Bible says. Using a pulpit to communicate biblical truth is a powerful thing. A saint knowing why they believe something is better than them just being told to believe it. Such education is the third part of the Great Commission, which says to "teach all things" (Matt 28:19).

And then there's the power of confession. I worked with a Nazarene preacher many years ago. During that time we had many talks about Bible doctrine. He eventually saw the truth of One God and Acts 2:38 salvation. He took that to his pulpit and confessed what he now knew to be the truth and how that made what he had before taught to be false. He then taught his congregation where these were in the Bible so they could also see these truths. He did lose some folks, but many of his congregation saw it, converted, and stayed.

I think the key is sincerity. If a congregation knows their church leaders have a real love for the things of God, I believe they are more apt to trust those leaders. After all, Paul did say to follow him as he follows Christ. Then, if those leaders do their jobs and teach the congregation, God and His word can then do the rest.
Thank you, brother!
Old 06-06-2019, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehud View Post
I'm glad you feel that way because I have a bad habit of going off on tangents and asking a thousand and one questions. Ha!

So in trying to keep this in line with the thread topic of beards, how should leadership go about undoing a standard that has been in place, but is now understood to be improper? For instance, if a pastor has preached against beards for two decades -- and the congregation has accepted this as necessary -- but the pastor then 'sees the light', how can that pastor undo this standard without eroding a foundation that has been built over the years? It seems as though it would be difficult to tell a congregation that what was 'wrong' for two decades is now suddenly okay without receiving quite a blowback.
With any truths all the pastor has to do is ignore it and not preach it and it will be gone before long... I’ve seen them stop preaching against cut hair on women, tv, dresses/skirts on women, make up, jewelry, facial hair ect and before long it’s all over the church.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:38 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
With any truths all the pastor has to do is ignore it and not preach it and it will be gone before long... I’ve seen them stop preaching against cut hair on women, tv, dresses/skirts on women, make up, jewelry, facial hair ect and before long it’s all over the church.
So the people need a weekly or monthly reminder? So they’re doing it out of peer pressure?
Old 06-06-2019, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
So the people need a weekly or monthly reminder? So they’re doing it out of peer pressure?
I’m sorry I didn’t realize “ before long “ was a specific time period. However we can look at moses up on the mountain and see how long it took them if you want to get technical.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post

Jesus spent most of his time rebuking pharisees.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:28 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

I have never ever heard anyone say it was a sin to have a beard.

But what about painted finger nails on men?

Or guys wearing mascara and lipstick?
Old 06-07-2019, 05:31 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Down here in Broward County Florida guys with black or yellow painted fingernails are not uncommon. Also Emo, Goth wear black fingernails, and there are Emo, and Goth Christian groups. Mascara, lipstick, fingernail paint. So, cool? Not cool? Let'em up on your church platform? Let them preach a sweet love message to your youth group?
Old 06-07-2019, 05:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
I have never ever heard anyone say it was a sin to have a beard.

But what about painted finger nails on men?

Or guys wearing mascara and lipstick?

(Beards) You’ve heard it called rebellion, we all have, 20+ years ago...and rebellion is a sin as witchcraft, same verse they use I believe, they just don’t finish it...so really, what’s the difference...rebellion=sin

Maybe preach against named biblical sin, (that’s what Paul did).

What else are these fags(oops, my carnality got the better of me there) doing in their heart and/or mind that’s sin, that makes them want to paint their body? I would think there is a bigger underlying issue, that the Bible condemns as sin.

Maybe the same could be said of women wearing that mess though....

I guess if we are going to have unbiblical platforms and pulpits in buildings that we unbiblically call churches, we can have unbiblical requirements to use them?

(FTR, guys(by birth) that wear that dung make me want to throw up my lunch).

Last edited by JamesGlen; 06-07-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:04 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGlen View Post
(Beards) You’ve heard it called rebellion, we all have, 20+ years ago...and rebellion is a sin as witchcraft, same verse they use I believe, they just don’t finish it...so really, what’s the difference...rebellion=sin
No one ever told me that it was rebellion. No one ever told me it was sin. I never heard a beard called rebellion. Heard the hippy thing, and business attire look of leadership. But nothing on rebellion.

Quote:
Maybe preach against named biblical sin, (that’s what Paul did).
Where did Paul preach against mascara on men? Painted fingernails on men?
I think there is a lot of picking and choosing even amongst liberals. In the push to be "Biblical" a lot gets blurred when everyone wants to be nicer than Jesus at the expense of all involved.

Quote:
What else are these fags(couldn’t resist) doing in their heart and/or mind that’s sin, that makes them want to paint their body? I would think there is a bigger underlying issue, that the Bible condemns as sin.
Well, isn't that the argument on the beard that I see being posted here? That the claim is being made that the whiskers and cookie dusters have the same motive? Again, Paul didn't preach against men dying their hair pink and blonde? Men with painted fingernails are heterosexuals and would break your jaw for calling them fags. One guy down at home depot has black painted fingernails, he has a wife and children. But, when we blur lines then something logically has to come through. But alas, balance rarely makes its way into a religious discussion.

Quote:
I guess if we are going to have unbiblical platforms and pulpits, we can have unbiblical requirements to use them?
Then get ready for the pastor with blonde and blue hair, painted yellow fingernails, toenails, with Nike sandals on the platform.

Have fun kids at your local churches.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

I follow your point, EB, so what exactly are u proposing, that overseers should be able to preach their personal convictions?

Last edited by JamesGlen; 06-07-2019 at 06:14 AM.