Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
assembly of god, godhead, oneness, semantics, trinitarian

Old 09-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Re: Our Trinitarian Brothers and Sisters in Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
Or insert "persona" instead of persons...
Talk about an instance of "lost in translation!"
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
"The three persons are distinct yet coexist in unity, and are co-equal, co-eternal"
How can one manifestation coexist and be coeternal?
I present to you Exhibit A: Matthew 3:13 - 17 (KJV).

13Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

14But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

15And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

16And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

17And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
"The three persons are distinct yet coexist in unity, and are co-equal, co-eternal"
How can one god coexist and be coeternal?

Let's not read too much into this... they are not saying coexistence with other "Gods".

You do believe Jesus was God? And at the same time His father in heaven (to whom he prayed was God, right?

Co-existence. Or what I prefer, "simultaneous modes of existence".

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 PM

Now if anyone is expecting three beings in heaven, we part ways on that.

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 09-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
How can one god coexist and be coeternal?

A better question would be how can you believe in the ONE GOD of the Bible without acknowledging the clear difference in roles of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost?

One GOD, different roles.
One GOD, different manifestations.
One GOD, dfferent personae.

I didn't continue with, "One GOD, different persons" because Christians who believe in the Trinity do NOT believe GOD to be three persons like Reagan, Clinton and Obama.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
A better question would be how can you believe in the ONE GOD of the Bible without acknowledging the clear difference in roles of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost?

One GOD, different roles.
One GOD, different manifestations.
One GOD, dfferent personae.

I didn't continue with, "One GOD, different persons" because Christians who believe in the Trinity do NOT believe GOD to be three persons like Reagan, Clinton and Obama.
Right. On that last note - this is exactly what many OP accuse.

The fact is, the teaching of "three beings" is anathema in most all Trinitarian circles.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Y'all pass the pipe and get high on STUPID? Today's trinitarians believe that they will see 2 persons, the Father and Jesus, and a dove perched on Jesus' shoulder. It is not semantics.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:34 AM
Loving God, His Word, His Name

The trinity doctrine is an invention of man wherein paganism was breached into true theology proper. Do they believe in three gods? They claim no, but when God is a mere nature shared by three persons, and those three persons are equal, then you have three gods, no matter how much you shake the tree otherwise. This is truth and pure common sense.

There is only one God, one person who is pure and holy, who is a Spirit, manifested in the flesh as the Lord Jesus Christ. There are none beside Him, before Him, or above Him. He is God and God alone.

Apostolic Defender Ministries
The Apostolic Defender Podcast on Spotify
Old 09-28-2011, 03:47 AM
Covenant Apostolic

I get trying to build a bridge of fellowship and understanding.
I get that we are not the judge of who goes to heaven.
But, we have a precious truth, the Oneness of God and baptism in the name of Jesus.
Shouldn't we be more interested in sharing what we know then in trying to rationalize away the differences?
I'm afraid we are in danger of not passing on the truths that we know to a future generation.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:43 AM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Look it up.... They believe they are one in "unity"
Look it up, there is a huge diversity of thought on the matter and many, many ways in which it has been articulated over the centuries - just like there is with us on Oneness. It's difficult to lump everyone together. You certainly can't lump everyone together very neatly.

For this reason alone, it is the height of hubris and folly to pretend to be able to judge the eternal destinies of millions (billions!) of souls that we have never known nor heard out on the matter.

"Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother." Romans 14:13