Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

Re: Holiness Standards Series on Youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
You should start using the term "I saved them" just to upset all the people that would say no you didn't, Jesus saved them.
Yeah, all the ones that don't read their bible would have a fit for sure.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Yeah, just messin' with ya.
He who wins souls is wise.....it's from the Proverbs 11:30 NKJV
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 06-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
So we can use either term YAY!

I personally like Proverbs 11:27 - He that diligently seeketh good procureth favour: but he that seeketh mischief, it shall come unto him.

It's like Karma but its biblical!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
So we can use either term YAY!

I personally like Proverbs 11:27 - He that diligently seeketh good procureth favour: but he that seeketh mischief, it shall come unto him.

It's like Karma but its biblical!
What're ya tryin' to say, Froggy?

Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Congrats!

Where'd this "winning" terminology come from, anyway? Reminds me of a lady who testified one Sunday about when she "won" someone to the Lord. With a little giggle, she actually, I kid you not, did the "score one for me" gesture! You know, index finger writing a "1" in the air? Yeah. She really did.
hmm... TS appears to be having a problem. No matter.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
hmm... TS appears to be having a problem. No matter.
What problem would that be?
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Ah yes, another example of the King's English messing people up.

Interesting that Solomon spoke of "Soul Winning" when no one else did. Could it be this verse is not about "evangelism" at all? Hmmmmmmm

The Spirit draws men to repentance. It's not our work, it's God's work. We play the small role: disciple, teach, baptize.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Ah yes, another example of the King's English messing people up.

Interesting that Solomon spoke of "Soul Winning" when no one else did. Could it be this verse is not about "evangelism" at all? Hmmmmmmm

The Spirit draws men to repentance. It's not our work, it's God's work. We play the small role: disciple, teach, baptize.
If a wise person is able to turn someone from their sinful ways, even in the OT, they have won a soul. The NASB and the NIV give a similar interpretation of that verse. KJV isn't messing anyone up.

James 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

I think Solomon would consider anyone WISE who was able to do what James states in the verse above.

I agree with you that the Spirit leads men to repentance but that doesn't negate our small role in telling people they need to repent nor did it negate the need for God to send his prophets to warn sinners in the OT that they needed to repent.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 06-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Saying "I've won" is just a simple reference to "I've convinced" or "I've brought someone to [meet] God", etc.

He that "wins" souls is wise. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using the term "won" in reference to converts. Being deliberately obtuse about colloquialisms just to make someone feel bad is silly.

TS has a good point, actually. IF the guy in the videos is trying to convince UC's of his *rightness* on these issues, then he would do well to turn his cap around (or take it off), put on a button down shirt, move to a nicer looking room and redo his video intro.

If he's aiming to preempt future UC's by talking to the UPCI youth of today (assuming anyone considers the UPCI to be UC), he MIGHT have an audience, as long as their parents don't find out about their YT subscriptions.

The arguments themselves are fairly common, and while I appreciate him taking the time to expound his views, they're not exactly earth shattering. I've read what he's saying on these forums hundreds of times. e.g., what's the significance of these particular videos? Is it the WHO behind the videos, rather than the content?

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 08-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

The first videos here don't bother me, the one that made my blood boil was the one with the girl in it talking about the "standards." I was actually thinking about sending the link to her video to get some comments on it to see if anyone else felt as I did, and I stumbled upon this post.

I don't know why exactly that the UPCI and other Oneness Churches can be so meticulous in their historical research on the water baptismal formula and the development of the doctrine of Trinity and yet they don't know "bean soup from apple butter" on the history of pants and the history of women wearing them in our country! Their historical researching seems to stop at water baptism and Trinity. You can't preach against women's pants when you can't even answer the question, "Who invented pants?" They base their doctrine against women's pants on something they just THINK is out their in history.

The young lady in the video makes a GUESS at how women in our country starting wearing women's pants. She THINKS it goes back to WW II. Come on now, AMERICAN HISTORY is not that hard! It isn't near as hard as the history of Trinity !

I took high offense to this girl's video. Doubtless she doesn't know "bean soup from apple butter" about WW II !!! She speaks of women who worked when there were NO MEN... but, she referred to it as taking over MASCULINE ROLES. ALL the men in our country, except the few who didn't pass the physical and perhaps a few others, but even married men were drafted, had to fight Adolph Hitler's expanding Regime. What women did in munitions factories was absolutely indispensible in winning the war. Yes, women did everything men did. They flew planes, they welded, they built bullets, they built bombs, they pop riveted and they built airplanes TO WIN THE WAR so we could have our Bibles and go to church. This stupid little girl has no idea what it would have been like had we NOT won WW II ! "Womanalls" were designed to be safe around machinery. Women couldn't work in factories with billowy, full skirts protruding away from their bodies a foot or two. But, women's pants were not introduced into our culture during WW II. They were formally introduced in 1851 by Amelia Jenks Bloomer, but experimentation with women's trousers in our country was as early as the 1820's in the cotton mills when white women had to leave the farms to supplement the family's income. The cotton mills employed more women than men.

My father was a WW II veteran. He fought in the European theatre in the Battle of the Bulge under General Patton. My dad was a HERO and very proud of this country. My daddy passed away last January. He died in the arms of God and was laid to rest with FULL MILITARY HONORS. My 2 brothers are Vietnam veterans, and one brother served in Vietnam and passed away of a rare bone cancer that Vietnam vets get from the jungle spray in Vietnam. He gave his life for this country!

I take high offense to that girl's video. I find it to be extremely IGNORANT in history, and American history at that, but I also find it to be UN-American and UN-patriotic. The women who ran the munitions factories during WW II are PATRIOTS !!!!! We wouldn't have our Bibles today if it were not for courageous Americans like my daddy and the women, who were not weaklings, but courageous to fight Hitler behind the lines.

We only need go back in American history to the beginning of the women's rights movement to learn where pants came from. Our country's first feminists did their history "homework." They knew where pants came from. You can go back into their writings in newspapers and magazines, like the Arena and the Sybil and see how they tried to educate the public on the historical origin of pants. They wrote how that pants were not invented for men; neither were men the first to wear pants, but they were invented by the Medes & Persians and worn by BOTH sexes in the 4th cen BC. Our country's women's rights movement leaders and dress reformers were aware that in OTHER COUNTRIES and OTHER CULTURES both sexes wore pants, and pants had NO CONNECTION WITH MALE SUPERIORITY. So, they simply "borrowed" from ANOTHER CULTURE -- the TURKISH "harems" and began wearing TURKISH trousers! The Turks copied pants from the Persians.

Alice Morse Earle wrote in 1903:

"With the constant...newspaper jesting which we daily hear and read, that women are striving to capture that article of dress, now held to be so distinctly masculine, it is somewhat amusing to be told by careful students that trousers were first assumed for general wear, not by men, but by women. ...In fact, trousers had been worn by both men and women of ancient MEDIA around the 4th century B.C."

Our country's first women's movement destroyed the CULTURAL concept that linked pants with men's authority, power and superiority, and pants are not a strictly male garment in our culture. Pants are NOT in the Bible; neither is male superiority. It was a concept enforced during the Middle Ages by the CATHOLIC CHURCH. GOD did not separate men's and women's clothing in this manner. HE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. It happened in 1340. Prior to 1340 both sexes wore dresses.

You can go to my website for more information. www.studyholiness.com

I'm including a pix of Amelia Jenks Bloomer in the "Freedom Dress."
Attached Images
File Type: gif thumb.gif (10.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by comeasyouare; 08-19-2012 at 05:05 PM.