Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 AM

Daily routines: What is the value of ...

What is the value of ... the small everyday activities and events in our lives?

Any takers?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Bro. Y, I'll never forget...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
What is the value of ... the small everyday activities and events in our lives?

Any takers?
Quite simply, they are the brick and mortar that build the structure known as "our life".... take away a single brick, or "life experience", and it may not seem significant.... yet joined together through the space of time and they assemble what they cannot just by themselves.... the mortar known as "time" join one brick to another.... one life experience to the next....

day after day.... month after month.... year after year....

they are the reflection of our day-to-day decisions and experiences.... they are the story of "our life"....

"You don't need a license to preach, or teach, or win souls." RonB

"In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. ~ John Andrew Holmes

Last edited by Malvaro; 10-15-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvaro View Post
Quite simply, there are the brick and mortar that build the structure known as "our life".... take away a single brick, or "life experience", and it may not seem significant.... yet joined together through the space of time and they assemble what they cannot just by themselves.... the mortar known as time join one brick to another.... one life experience to the next....

day after day.... month after month.... year after year....

they are the reflection of our day-to-day decisions and experiences.... they are the story of "our life"....
I love your analogy ... Mal.

I also think:

The value of everyday events is in their predictability. Humans, in general, seek the comfort of boundaries in their lives. Our daily routines and patterns do just this - they provide a sense of belonging and safety.

These routines also prepare us for the future while offering us an opportunity to maintain our life's garden by tending to what we've planted in the past.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:15 PM
MrsBOOMM

Well, if I don't do the dishes, it is only a matter of time before we will not have any clean ones and then I will HAVE to do them or we will have to go out and buy more..........
Old 10-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

This is something I speak of often in our family and try to get across to our kids etc.

Daily Routine is of great importance for several reasons.

1. Routine equals responsibility.

If you have a routine then you will keep up with things better. A routine of putting keys in the same place and picking them up each morning etc will help with losing things etc. If I realize I don't have my keys my first thought goes to where I went last in the car because if I had a bag to bring in or something that will mess with my routine and most likely the keys are in the ignition.

2. Routine will help keep you from getting behind on things.

In the financial would routine is called a budget. I have a budget laid out for the next 12 months. The numbers are general of course but what I will pay which payday is lined out. That routine keeps me from making the mistakes I have made in the past of getting a check in and, because it isn't due yet, i didn't pay it and then when it came due it was coupled with other bills and put me short. A routine towards any repetitive task will keep you out of a bind.

The lists go on and on...

Those who are "bored" etc are often so because they have no routine. It isn't that there is nothing to do. There is plenty to do. But no routine is stating that this is the time to do it so they overlook all of the responsibilities that now wait on them and complain of boredom because they can't THINK of something to do.

Routine... Routine... Routine...

Routine is very important.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:05 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

There is a certain shelter from the chaos of the world to be found the daily routines of our lives.

I pick up my little boy from Daycare most days of the week. Walking into the place at 5 every day illicits the same response. “Daddy!” and a huge smile as he comes running to me have become the building blocks of a relationship that will last a lifetime.

That simple word and those little arms around my neck drive back what ever misery any day might bring my way.

Every morning there is a kiss and a hug between my wife and I. At times, it seems these are almost after thoughts. But in reality these are the fibers that bind a relationship.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Jellybean!

Mondays are laundry day for me.

I like the routine of doing most of my laundry on that day. If I don't, my whole week is 'off'. So I would say the small everyday activities are very important.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Okay, I understand where everybody is coming from...I, too, have "routines" such as going through a drive-through every morning and getting breakfast for me and my husband.

But I get bored easily (surely not ADHD!) and sometimes routines for me feel like a "rut". So I have unknowingly put variety into my routine. For example, if I'm driving from the church to McDonald's and back, I will take one route to the restaurant and a different route back to the church. If I leave my office to go to the secretary's office, I find that I go down one hall to get there and another hall to come back.

Hmmmmm....now that I see it written out, that's kinda scary. I might need to seek medical attention.

Last edited by lisafitzh2o; 10-15-2007 at 03:28 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 10-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Genesis 11:10

routines help keep us busy, idle hands are the devil's playground

ARPH
Old 10-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mrs View Post
Mondays are laundry day for me.

I like the routine of doing most of my laundry on that day. If I don't, my whole week is 'off'. So I would say the small everyday activities are very important.
That was my MIL laundry day as well and my SIL laundry and house cleaning day.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.